• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Tape = Restoration?

3 posts in this topic

Would taping a piece of cover back on result in a purple label? Is that considered Amateur Restoration? I have a frail 1.0 AF15 I want to get slabbed, but a chunk fell off the back.

I want to tape it back on and keep it with the book, but would prefer to avoid the PLOD if possible.

Would taping a piece of cover back on result in a purple label? Is that considered Amateur Restoration? I have a frail 1.0 AF15 I want to get slabbed, but a chunk fell off the back.

I want to tape it back on and keep it with the book, but would prefer to avoid the PLOD if possible.

This is a great example of how the community's attitude toward "PLODs" is harmful to comic books themselves. Here's a book that just needs a little bit of archival-quality conservation work, yet its owner is concerned about actually doing what needs to be done because of potential label color.

I'm totally not criticizing you for this; please don't take it the wrong way. This is a criticism of the prevailing attitude amongst collectors, which potentially keeps people from doing what's right for their books. That community attitude is certainly affecting your decision right now.

To answer your question -- CGC's discussion on conservation and restoration techniques suggests that archival tape (or other methods) used to re-attach pieces is conservation work:

https://www.cgccomics.com/news/viewarticle.aspx?IDArticle=4083&

I've seen blue-label books with tape, though usually it's vintage tape. On something like an AF15, I'd call Matt Nelson with CCS and ask him.