• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

guess the grade; Fantastic Four #1

68 posts in this topic

Hey, it is not out of the realm of possibilities. That is why I had a question make next to it. I knew it was faded a bit but the coloring through me a bit. The colors were relatively strong but still off and it looked very flat ( if you can really even articulate that from 2 dimensional scan.) Like a I said, something did not look quite right.

Regardless, I still got the grade correct.

Harry scans do have a "FLAT" look to them. Obviously, it's his scanner, unless it's because the books have a lot of color but very little gloss left (which I don't think is the case).

i guess that i don't Pump up the volume sufficiently when scanning my books. and many of my books really do kick .

i'm looking for that look that adamstrange gets on his pre-hero marvels and other 10 centers - they just ROCK....... thumbsup2.gif and i mean that in the best of ways.........

congrats to Tomega, Inconceivable and davidpg for nailing it and to Diva and peter for almost nailing it with their hedge guesses.

Harry,

Not only did I nail it, but I was the first one with the cajones to (offend you) sumo.gif

flowerred.gifhi.gif

David - "6.0 Fn or perhaps a 6.5", is not exactly nailing it.........very close to nailing it but that little hedge keeps you out of the winners circle. try the next one............ devil.gif

H - does your monitor not show the bold sumo? confused-smiley-013.gif6.0 sumo.gif

27_laughing.gif

congrats to Tomega, Inconceivable and davidpg for nailing it and to Diva and peter for almost nailing it with their hedge guesses.

Harry,

Not only did I nail it, but I was the first one with the cajones to (offend you) sumo.gif

flowerred.gifhi.gif

David - "6.0 Fn or perhaps a 6.5", is not exactly nailing it.........very close to nailing it but that little hedge keeps you out of the winners circle. try the next one............ devil.gif

H - does your monitor not show the bold sumo? confused-smiley-013.gif6.0 sumo.gif

27_laughing.gif

27_laughing.gif yes, i did notice mr sumo.gif - but i also noticed "OR PERHAPS A 6.5"......

Harry,

flowerred.gifhi.gif

27_laughing.gif

27_laughing.gif yes, i did notice mr sumo.gif - but i also noticed "OR PERHAPS A 6.5"......

27_laughing.gif it was "or perhaps a 6.5'" gossip.gifand THAT was just to make you feel better!!! insane.gif

stooges.gif

Say hi to your lovely wife for me flowerred.gif

definitely would be more than happy with a 6.0 price, that is a 7.0 at worst :P

i thought so too, but it is what it is.......... mad.gif gonna save somebody a couple thousand someday................ frown.gif

While it may have VF quality eye appeal, my guess is 6.5 (but maybe as low as 6.0.)

The spine corners are fairly rounded and there are numerous breaks along the spine as evidenced by the breaks in the black line which can be seen from the back view. The LRFC has a lot of edge abrasion as well.

Plus, given the stains and crease as indicated per the grader's note, I don't think this could score any higher than 6.5... although it may be the best looking 6.0/6.5 in existance. cloud9.gif893applaud-thumb.gif

Plus, given the stains and crease as indicated per the grader's note, I don't think this could score any higher than 6.5... although it may be thes best looking 6.0/6.5 in existance. cloud9.gif893applaud-thumb.gif

well, it did grade out as fine 6.0 and i agree that it's a FINE fine........ grin.gif

Harry.. I firmly believe the 3 books you have posted are greater then the sum of their grades.

If ever there was a case of buy the book....not the grade .. it is with these 3 books.

Be proud man... very proud..

thumbsup2.gif

Ze-

Harry.. I firmly believe the 3 books you have posted are greater then the sum of their grades.

If ever there was a case of buy the book....not the grade .. it is with these 3 books.

Be proud man... very proud..

thumbsup2.gif

Ze-

I am.........just not as proud as i want to be....... devil.gif

While it may have VF quality eye appeal, my guess is 6.5 (but maybe as low as 6.0.)

The spine corners are fairly rounded and there are numerous breaks along the spine as evidenced by the breaks in the black line which can be seen from the back view. The LRFC has a lot of edge abrasion as well.

Plus, given the stains and crease as indicated per the grader's note, I don't think this could score any higher than 6.5... although it may be the best looking 6.0/6.5 in existance. cloud9.gif893applaud-thumb.gif

had I been here all week I WOULD have guessed 6.5. With the graders nots I hadd go that low for what looks better in th escan. But it does look a bit worn, and I can see it as a 6.0.

i guess that i don't Pump up the volume sufficiently when scanning my books. and many of my books really do kick .

i'm looking for that look that adamstrange gets on his pre-hero marvels and other 10 centers - they just ROCK....... thumbsup2.gif and i mean that in the best of ways.........

I've noticed the same thing. The quality of Adam's scans surpasses anyone else's. I guess it starts from the fact that he's scanning a raw book, so no layer of plastic between the book and the scanner. And the gloss of his books is undoubtedly exceptional. But beyond that, I don't know how he's able to get such vivid images in a scan that fits the Board's 150kb limit.

I've noticed the same thing. The quality of Adam's scans surpasses anyone else's. I guess it starts from the fact that he's scanning a raw book, so no layer of plastic between the book and the scanner. And the gloss of his books is undoubtedly exceptional. But beyond that, I don't know how he's able to get such vivid images in a scan that fits the Board's 150kb limit.

You can just monkey with the contrast in any photoediting software. It really makes the reds and yellows POP.

so you're really telling us he doctors his scans to look better? poke2.gif

I am saying that you can accomplish that by monkeying with the contrast. I don't know what his books look like in person. He collects White Mountains and Salidas. It's possible that his books actually DO look that nice in person. But for the rest of us who don't have WMs and Salidas, the old "contrast" function will have to do. cloud9.gif

I know. I use Photoshop to resize my scans. I don't use the other functions such as making BIG CREASES disappear, like a seller we dare not name. insane.gif

Don't pick on Blazing Bob like that. His behavior is no excuse. 893naughty-thumb.gif