• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children (9/30/2016)

9 posts in this topic

I'm surprised no one has discussed this one yet?

EW just released pics of it in their newest issue.

http://www.ew.com/article/2016/03/04/miss-peregrine-tim-burton-photos

Forget Beetlejuice 2, I figure this will be the return of director Tim Burton.

I bought the young adult book last year at a yard sale. It felt like a turn of the century X-Men for kids.

From Wikipedia (end spoilers left out):

After his grandfather's murder, apparently by a make-believe creature, 16-year-old Jacob Portman goes to Wales to learn more about his grandfather's life. He finds that his grandfather lived in a derelict orphanage for "peculiar children". That is where he meets Emma, a "strikingly pretty" girl who can control fire. She uses time travel to take him back to 1940 to meet Miss Peregrine, the orphanage director, who lives with the other children in a "time loop". Jacob enjoys spending time with the other peculiar children, such as Millard, who is invisible, and Bronwyn, who has incredible strength. In the pub where Jacob is staying, he hears stories of mysterious deaths in the region, and he warns the peculiar children. They tell Jacob that the deaths were caused by the "hollows" or "hollowgasts", the same monsters that killed his grandfather. Jacob later learns that he too is a peculiar, and realizes only he can see the monsters and stop the killings.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Miss_Peregrine%27s_Home_for_Peculiar_Children

...and two more books released since, not including a graphic novel in '13.

It definitely was an original comic-book premise, that has been flying below the radar of a lot folks. I can't wait for you guys to discover it.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Miss_Peregrine%27s_Home_for_Peculiar_Children_(film)

...deaths were caused by the "hollows"...

Really? The Deathly Hollows?

Whomever wrote this couldn't think of anything better to call them?

lol

I seriously need to catch up on my Harry Potter movies. I stopped at the third installment, "Prisoner of ...?"

Very predictable 'wash and rinse' story, IMO. But the shame is if this movie had been done earlier before the Narnia/Harry Potter/Spiderwick Chronicles/Fantastic Beasts (HP II) productions, this could have been unique in its storytelling and character designs.

We watched it on the weekend as a family and everyone liked it, except for my wife. lol

My daughter thought the books were better, but she hopes they make the sequel (Hollow City? or something like that) as it could be a fun film.