• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

New Avengers vs. Astonishing X-Men <spoilers>

15 posts in this topic

Ok, just finished reading NA #4, and I laughed my off - not at the lame jokes but the lame writing. After reading #3 I actually had some small sliver of hope, but this is just baaaaad. Bendis, how far the mighty has fallen. Getting bad guys to talk by bribing with doughnuts? A handy dandy beta-Quinjet? The Savage Land? Ewwww...

Bendis really gets exposed when you compare him to the other new team title out, Astonishing X-Men. Whedon isn't even a comic writer, and he still can write circles around BMB.

So sad Marvel, so sad...

Avengers just isn't Bendis' thing. He doesn't have a flamboyant superheros all over the place type of style.

Daredevil, on the other hand, has consistantly been one of the best books Marvel has put out for almost 5 years. Ditto Ultimate Spidey. And now, Powers. Those titles are 2-4 behind Astonishing in my book. As far as Marvel goes at least.

They give no prizes anymore?

Just as they open the files showing the villans who escaped Cap is not wearing a mask...

they they look at the villans and Cap wears the mask, then on second page as the keep looking at vilans and Spidey blames himself the mask is off again

Just as they open the files showing the villans who escaped Cap is not wearing a mask...

they they look at the villans and Cap wears the mask, then on second page as the keep looking at vilans and Spidey blames himself the mask is off again

You are sooo right! 27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif

You are sooo right! 27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif

You woudl figure their QA guys would catch that or at least their editor

After following the series I see both light and dark. Bendis could really bury this title in ignomity. However it does have potential.

Sentry and the new masked ninja dude need to come out of the wood work. This team has to be able to really bring the members in and rock; and right now they are wisecracking detectives.

I don't like the role of Spiderman. Constantly being pumped as the expert on different baddies. He is being portrayed more as advisor than a real contributor. I think that this sells him short but I do think he has fought nearly everybody. Bendis has Spidey as kind of a milqtoast. I think Spiderman can fight with anybody. Maybe he can't lift 15 tons or fly but he is pretty difficult to attack and draw out most opponents to finish them. Bendis has Matt Murdock taking out 100 ninjas but has Spiderman getting his arm broken by a two bit second tier villian. No way! Spiderman has had enough scraps to be able to fight well for himself even against multiple opponents and Bendis should approach this in an even handed way.

Astonishing is better right now because the right balance of thinking and action has been reached. The heros have a great deal of development as a team and Weldon has a great balance of epics vs. one issue stories to build a team and then give us questions that we want answered. The New Avengers seem to be little solo investigations into each character before the team gets. Issue 4 is definitely Jessica Drew and the introduction of Wolverine to the team.

Bendis needs to get his ducks in a row and do this much later in the story. We expect much from the most powerful superhero team on the planet. Spiderwoman is fascinating but I want to see Sentry, Luke Cage and Iron Man cracking cretin's heads. Let's see something new like a triple fast ball with Sentry, Wolverine thrown by cage and Spidey thrown by cap pounding the pee out of sentinels. This is a group that shouldn't be afraid of a T-Rex- yet they are! What would happen if Spiderman took some of Sentry's Serum? Maybe a new take on a character who regularly gets beat up- lets let him beat the heck out of wolverine. That would be new. Cage on the Serum might take Magneto. Put Dr. Doom on the team. Have the team fighting entire armies, wiping out alien invasions, helping prevent huge disasters or manical mad organizations that are complicated. ie. Avengers decide to rid Russia of Organized Crime with Red Storm and a crew of Avenger level bad guys. Sauron is a fairly tough villian but the team needs to get together and start pouncing on teams of criminals rather than making us worry about 'donuts as bribes'. When I buy a comic I make a choice to buy the mag rather than donuts.

Get the engine of the team fired up and working together before the solo character exploration begins. We all know that Spiderwoman is extremely cerebral and useful for the purpose of solving things what we need is stronger leadership as written by Bendis to make this team rock.

Bendis is trying to do too many things with Daredevil and Powers and is doing great but a writer needs to take this and rock. Marvel would gather back three times the return.

HELLO AND WELCOME TO THE BOARDS!!!! 893applaud-thumb.gifthumbsup2.gifheadbang.gifyay.gif

You said a lot there, and I agree with it all thumbsup2.gif. Please stick around as it is always nice to get a different

point of view on book I am just starting to like.

I just read NA #4 and was just signing on to say how much I loved it. confused-smiley-013.gif It's my #1 book right now, ahead of AXM and S/B.

I am enjoying it also. confused-smiley-013.gif I'm interested in what was discussed to Cap over the phone in private. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

I just read NA #4 and was just signing on to say how much I loved it. confused-smiley-013.gif It's my #1 book right now, ahead of AXM and S/B.

I am enjoying it also. confused-smiley-013.gif I'm interested in what was discussed to Cap over the phone in private. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Phone sex

Phone sex

27_laughing.gif Maybe that's why she told him to put on his mask!

Phone sex

Maybe they could send Romance books to each other. gossip.gif

I also liked NA #4. I am not saying it is better than AX, but it is pretty darn good. Also, the Spiderwoman cover was awesome! I also like how Spidey seems to have taken over Hawkeye's role as the wise-cracking smartarse. The scene where Spidey and Cage were interrogating Electro was priceless.

S

P

O

I

L

E

R

A

L

E

R

T

Here is how it went. Electro is trapped in a force-field bubble and the Avengers are trying to get information from him.

CAGE: Hey, when you used to fight him, How'd you do it?

SPIDEY: Well, I'd web my hands into mitts and pound the [#@$%!!!] out of him.

CAGE: Do me up.

Next panel shows a close-up of a frightened Electro.

Next panel Spidey Webs up Cage's hands.

CAGE: Open the bubble.

Next panel Electro gets dizzy and faints in the following panel.

I definitely give this series 2 thumbs up and will continue to buy it every month.