• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

I Don't Understand.....

14 posts in this topic

If you're a Batman fan, there isn't much to collect GA-wise without Robin.

I find that part of the distaste for the character is unfounded. The perception is that the introduction of the character in Detective Comics #38 was the starting point of the transition to camp. That's not the case. Batman was evolving between issues, from 27 to 28, from 28 to 29, so on and so forth.

Characters died in Tec #38 ( LINK) and although the character wasn't as dark as he was in 1939, he was already trending towards the light. The first two Joker stories in Batman #1 were some of the darkest, most psychologically deep of the early GA era. Robin was there.

So while some collectors might not care for the character's transition, it was already underway prior to Robin. It's too easy to point at the cover of Tec #38 and say "there's where it started", but that doesn't tell the whole story.

If you're a Batman fan, there isn't much to collect GA-wise without Robin.

I find that part of the distaste for the character is unfounded. The perception is that the introduction of the character in Detective Comics #38 was the starting point of the transition to camp. That's not the case. Batman was evolving between issues, from 27 to 28, from 28 to 29, so on and so forth.

Characters died in Tec #38 ( LINK) and although the character wasn't as dark as he was in 1939, he was already trending towards the light. The first two Joker stories in Batman #1 were some of the darkest, most psychologically deep of the early GA era. Robin was there.

So while some collectors might not care for the character's transition, it was already underway prior to Robin. It's too easy to point at the cover of Tec #38 and say "there's where it started", but that doesn't tell the whole story.

(thumbs u

As a kid in the 40's, I guess the idea of a young sidekick to the adult crime fighter

was ment to appeal to the young reader, a character in the story that a youngster

could relate too...I'm not sure it always worked out that way.

mm

"Conceived as a vehicle to attract young readership, Robin garnered overwhelmingly positive critical reception, doubling the sales of the Batman related comic books."

Daniels, Les (2004). Batman: The Complete History. Chronicle Books. p. 37. ISBN 0-8118-4232-0

Aside from being the first sidekick and starting a trend that still exists 75 years later, it's hard to imagine that Batman would be the same character he is today without Robin increasing his popularity. The dark, pre-Robin Batman was cool, but how long would that have kept readers' interest? 75 years? I doubt it. At best I think that Batman's popularity today would be similar to that of Wonder Woman if Robin hadn't come along. Maybe it would have been better if Robin had appeared a year later so we'd have a few more pre-Robin stories, but eventually he would have been required to sustain the Batman character.

Mike

Aside from being the first sidekick and starting a trend that still exists 75 years later, it's hard to imagine that Batman would be the same character he is today with Robin increasing his popularity. The dark, pre-Robin Batman was cool, but how long would that have kept readers' interest? 75 years? I doubt it. At best I think that Batman's popularity today would be similar to that of Wonder Woman if Robin hadn't come along. Maybe it would have been better if Robin had appeared a year later so we'd have a few more pre-Robin stories, but eventually he would have been required to sustain the Batman character.

Mike

Well said Mike.

Aside from being the first sidekick and starting a trend that still exists 75 years later, it's hard to imagine that Batman would be the same character he is today with Robin increasing his popularity. The dark, pre-Robin Batman was cool, but how long would that have kept readers' interest? 75 years? I doubt it. At best I think that Batman's popularity today would be similar to that of Wonder Woman if Robin hadn't come along. Maybe it would have been better if Robin had appeared a year later so we'd have a few more pre-Robin stories, but eventually he would have been required to sustain the Batman character.

Mike

Well said Mike.

..... personally, I've been a Batman fan from first sight..... I grew up with the Batman TV show (when the episodes were new lol ) and have followed his evolution for years. As Robin became less relevant, the stories followed the natural progression and Robin eventually moved on and grew up...... but I'll always love those wacky 50's issues..... but then I'm also a closet fan of Batman 217 where Bruce shudders the Mansion, closes the Batcave, sends Robin to college, and moves to the Penthouse (Batman 217)...... it's been a real evolution..... and for those who prefer "dark" Batman..... there's a plethora of material from which to choose. Me, I like it all....... but to each his own, I suppose. GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

Most of the Adams Batman books are solo adventures.... and they're some of my favorites of them all...... but those old Robinson, Sprang, and Mortimer stories from the 40's and 50's still have their charm..... GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

I appreciate the moodiness of the pre-Robin Tecs, but for reading enjoyment my favorite GA Batman stories are from the late 40s and early 50s. Not as grim as even the early +Robin stories, but love the Sprang art and the colorful villains and more varied story telling.