• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

I'm a newbie that needs tips

56 posts in this topic

I'm new to collecting and looking for hobby looking to start off my collection with spending 550 bucks to get it started the only super hero I'm into hevy is batman but I'm doing this more of a investment so looking for comics that isn't selling at their all time high at the moment I know the deal yeah if people knew the ones that was gonn spike everyone would buy them but I'm just looking for tips on what to buy. I may buy batman 121 because I grew up with mr freeze as my fav villain.

People have to me to buy up dr strange due to the movie is that reasonable?

ummmmmm.....

Check out craigslist maybe you can spend that much on a collection and flip it to double your $. If you are investing for 5-10 years or more down the road, I'd say look for high grade silver and golden age. Remember to have fun! If you've never been to a convention I highly recommend checking one out.

Think this is a young individual.

I'm 20 I'm not that young lol

At 20 years old the best thing you can be spending your money on as an investment is an education. It certainly shouldn't be comic books with $550. That's if they should ever be looked at solely as an investment.

Buy keys and classic covers it is very refreshing to see a young collector going after some awesome comics.If it makes you happy you are going in the right direction.Welcome to the boards (thumbs u

Whomever is telling you to buy Dr. Strange is likely selling them as well. :devil: I looooove the good Doctor but would not invest in his comics with the exception of Doctor Strange 169.

Pickup the latest overstreet price guide and read the opinions of advisor's and dealers if you just want a quick rundown of the general landscape for collecting. Useful to own a copy anyways for ballpark values.

At 20 years old the best thing you can be spending your money on as an investment is an education. It certainly shouldn't be comic books with $550. That's if they should ever be looked at solely as an investment.

I'm in college now and own a business

Buy keys and classic covers it is very refreshing to see a young collector going after some awesome comics.If it makes you happy you are going in the right direction.Welcome to the boards (thumbs u

Thanks I look forward to seeing my collection grow

Since you're in college now, that means you'll most likely move at least a few times in the next few years. So having one or two nice comics that you LOVE will probably easier to move than 20 slabs (they get buried in boxes, they break, they get lost, stolen by roommates, etc).

So I would get the 1 or 2 of your favorite bronze or older comics in 9.8, obviously depending on the price, or whatever price/grade you can afford for a key 1st appearance of a character you think will have a movie. Ideally these comics will not have already been significantly affected by movie hype.

Or a CGC SS of a creator who will likely pass on in the time you want to invest...this would be an older comic, obviously.

Since you're in college now, that means you'll most likely move at least a few times in the next few years. So having one or two nice comics that you LOVE will probably easier to move than 20 slabs (they get buried in boxes, they break, they get lost, stolen by roommates, etc).

So I would get the 1 or 2 of your favorite bronze or older comics in 9.8, obviously depending on the price, or whatever price/grade you can afford for a key 1st appearance of a character you think will have a movie. Ideally these comics will not have already been significantly affected by movie hype.

Or a CGC SS of a creator who will likely pass on in the time you want to invest...this would be an older comic, obviously.

Thanks really good info I'll try that

I'm in college now and own a business

(thumbs u

I think new boardies should automatically be directed to this thread for the first 24 hours, or whatever, following registration- Not being able to access any other thread until then (with an explanation, of course). This certainly wouldn't be 100% effective, but should be better than nothing.

well idk $550 isn't really enough $$ to play the investment game in comics. Yeah you could buy any number of books and make a few bucks down the road but not much most likely for $550 down unless you get real lucky.

I would say if you buy neal adams batmans in high grade you will enjoy the quality of the books and find when it comes to resale you really can't be hurt as long as you don't overpay too much. In the event you wind up paying more than you should these books are always in demand and should easily be worth more than you paid 10 years down the road.

I would recommend getting a GPA subscription for at least a month if you are thinking about buying CGC books. Its the most accurate way to determine their market value as it tracks auction sales. If you are buying raw books just go to the selling forums here they are you best to be treated fairly on these books - good luck and happy collecting.

$550 spent in an educated manner even at a show buying from dealers can lay the foundation for a comic book dealing empire!

as flying donut says, "[blah blah blah] rinse and repeat!" -- cha-ching!

in case you didn't get it, the "blah blah blah" is all the substance/strategy that went into building the flying donut empire, which Dan got started with $1.15 way back in 1970something (ok, I made that stuff up)

I wish I had 2 pennies to rub together at 20 years old. Honestly though if I were in your shoes I'd buy titles off the newsstand that you enjoy reading, Read them once and bag and board them. You have plenty of time once you are done with school and have established yourself with a good career/income. There are some sad stories I've come across with younger folks getting way over their head with comic books and going deep into debt as a result. You have plenty of time.

If you're single go find a nice girl to spend that $550 on!