• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

To remove the grease pencil, or to not remove that is the question

Remove Grease Pencil?  

177 members have voted

1. 1. Remove Grease Pencil?

44 posts in this topic

Personal feeling notwithstanding, what is CGC policy on erased grease pencil marks?

As long as it is chemically cleaned it is considered unrestored.

hm Did you mean to say:

As long as it is NOT chemically cleaned it is considered unrestored.

Yes, not

I've really enjoyed seeing this sellers "P" & "M" books come up at auction. She thinks they might have been brothers. To me they actually seem to be a minor pedigree. I even suggested to her to try to get a pedigree on them d=before selling. The "P" books are nicer than the "M" books. The page quality is excellent (I'm thinking White on most of the "P" books).

It's up to you, but I don't think the "M" is bad on this one. I've won about 12 of the books so far. One of the books I won had a badly smudged "P" which was distracting, and I decided to try to dry eraser it. It actually came out really good (maybe 90% removal). all the other books I left alone.

Well interesting result of the poll, split 50/50 exactly! I contacted the seller as well, and she didn't reflect on the two brothers story (a possibility I presume), but apparently she found 180 books at an estate sale spilled out on a table in rural Wisconsin that wasn't getting much interest. Quite a find. I was a bit late to the party as didn't pick up on it until one of my want list searches hit

I went quite aggressively for two of the P books in her final auction that just ended (the stained Wonder Woman and the nice Miss Fury) but alas my aggressive still wasn't aggressive enough. The previously not paid for Miss Fury went for $180 more the second time around doh!

I would enjoy owning a P to pair with the M (yes, I decided I won't remove the marks) if anyone got a P they want to sell?

Well that's it then, the no's have it, 52%. In fact, the whole thing led me to even seek out a "P" to pair with the "M" having seemingly originated somehow together at the same rural Wisconsin estate sale. Was lucky to have found the last one, apparently returned or unpaid for.

Now for the next question, should I slab 'em? :whistle:

image5061.jpg

CA41a_zpsqdzkh7nr.jpg

Another book from that group. Have you sent it in for grading yet?

(thumbs u

:news:

The grade is in.

Awaiting arrival in the mail.

That CAP 41 is gorgeous. Would be curious as to grade as well.

I actually found another P book, which I've sent for press and grade myself. Have to look a bit closer to see the grease pencil P. Hope it grades out as well as your CAP 41.

The now graded P and M books that started this thread - results are in the sig line.

852016fix1.jpg