• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Guess the Grade: X-Men #101

27 posts in this topic

Hi all I thought I would let you guess the grade of this X-Men #101 that went to CGC using the onsite grading at Wizard LA. Andy helped me and is first-class in terms of customer service. Book has been picked up by Doug Schmell and will be on pedigree soon.

Large front and back scans also included:

Large X-Men #101 Front

Large X-Men #101 Back

smx101f.jpg

smx101b.jpg

Have fun thumbsup2.gif

Dan

falls right into OS 6.0 because of blunting, nnot exactly sure if the overall nice appearance of the book would raise it, but that's what i would give it if it were my copy with the flaws in it.

i'ma overgrade this one to a 9.4, creases be damned.

back covers always look dirty on scans. always. well, 99% of the time, but that's close enough for gubmit work

6.0 is the first grade to allow blunting, i am just going strictly by the book, with no sense of what the book looks like, but i have also seen much higher grades with blunting, just wanted to state that i am fairly new to grading comics, so i had to actually go off the stl guide which puts blunting at a 6.0

So what are the grades Dan confused.gifjuggle.gif

Oops sorry. I was going to wait till I could look at my overstreet regarding blunting and why the X-Men #101 did not have it. But this one got a 9.4. For the record I thought it was a 9.2 (because of the non-blunting corner thing).

Dan

So what are the grades Dan confused.gifjuggle.gif

Oops sorry. I was going to wait till I could look at my overstreet regarding blunting and why the X-Men #101 did not have it. But this one got a 9.4. For the record I thought it was a 9.2 (because of the non-blunting corner thing).

Dan

If this was a DC mystery book being graded it would have received a 9.0 gossip.gif

i'ma overgrade this one to a 9.4, creases be damned.

back covers always look dirty on scans. always. well, 99% of the time, but that's close enough for gubmit work

bingo. baby.

i'm not sure what you people are talking about re; blunting. i don't see blunting. i see shadows

6.0 is the first grade to allow blunting, i am just going strictly by the book, with no sense of what the book looks like, but i have also seen much higher grades with blunting, just wanted to state that i am fairly new to grading comics, so i had to actually go off the stl guide which puts blunting at a 6.0

While that is true it does not mean that every book with a blunted corner can grade no higher than 6.0. What it does mean is that the book has a defect that is not allowable in a certain grade and is nocked down for that - it is not however knocked down to the first acceptible grade where the defect can be present.

So this book structurally might have been a 9.6 and they dock it .2 for the corner. Comic books do not exhibit defects uniformly - that is all 6.0s don't have the same defects, all 9.4s don't either - though they have a majority of defects in common. Working from the ground up. Lets take a book that exhibits all the defects of a VG (4.0) BUT has exceptional gloss of a NM copy. The creases and spine wear are still there, but the gloss was all retained. While you can't grade the book 9.4, the VG book could be bumped up to a 5.0 due to excellent gloss and eye appeal. This is why the OSGG puts a number of books with varying defects in there. They could easily do 10 books for every grade from 0.5 on up to 10.0 and there would still be tonnes of books that do not exactly resemble the examples they used.

This is why grading is still SUBJECTIVE CGC or not CGC.

Looking at the X-men 101, the spine is really really sharp from back and front -this loks like a 9.6 spine. There is no surface wear to speak of, but there are minor defects in the bottom two corners, hence the 9.4. Always easier to do this after the fact hahaha.