• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Are Comics with Tape Downgraded

6 posts in this topic

Now i know that tape is not classed as restoration because there is an OAAW #83 with tape currently at auction in a blue label but does actually having tape on the comic mean it is downgraded. The tape is mentioned on the label but is it also factored in the overall grade.

It is definitely considered in the grade. The amount of tape also affects the overall grade. If it is keeping a staple in place or closing a tear it would be graded as if the tape was not present, and will be noted on the label.

Now i know that tape is not classed as restoration because there is an OAAW #83 with tape currently at auction in a blue label but does actually having tape on the comic mean it is downgraded. The tape is mentioned on the label but is it also factored in the overall grade.

Be careful of a CGC purchase with tape. You need to look up the date it was graded. If it was before CGC changed their policy on tape, the book is most certainly overgraded. As Joey just mentioned, their current policy will downgrade for the flaw the tape is masking. Previously, this was not true. I do not remember when CGC changed their policy, maybe two years ago ?

Be careful of a CGC purchase with tape. You need to look up the date it was graded. If it was before CGC changed their policy on tape, the book is most certainly overgraded. As Joey just mentioned, their current policy will downgrade for the flaw the tape is masking. Previously, this was not true. I do not remember when CGC changed their policy, maybe two years ago ?

I don't think they are over-graded, but they won't re-grade the same.

It's not so much as overgraded as it is CGC changed their stance on how tape is treated. Summarizing, tape can never improve the grade of a book. So if tape is used to make some repair - say reattach a cover to the book or a piece to the cover - then the book is graded as though the cover is still detached or the piece is unattached.

So if you send in a book that has a tape repair that was graded by CGC before May 3, 2013, then you run a very real risk of a downgrade. If the top staple of the book has pulled through the cover - and was reattached with tape - then your grade is likely going down. If a 3" piece of the bottom corner fell off and was reattached with tape, your grade is most certainly going down, maybe by a lot. Because old standard you could have received maybe 4.0 with a large piece of the FC reattached with tape. Now you probably looking at 1.5-1.8.

Really with tape there seems to be no good answer. The current stance seems a bit harsh. But under the old stance, you had dealers buying books like Captain America 1 and Detective 27 and reattaching the covers with tape for higher grades. That didn't seem ideal either.

Link to CGC's announcement on the modified stance on tape.

https://www.cgccomics.com/news/viewarticle.aspx?IDArticle=3327&CGC-Modifies-Stance-on-Grading-Submissions-with-Tape