• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Austin/Surrounding Area Shops

7 posts in this topic

I'll be in Austin this weekend for several days and was hoping for some suggestions on good comic shops there? Mostly into gold/silver/bronze age stuff. Thanks for any suggestions!

There are several here.

The number one top shop you will hear about is Austin Books and Comics. It is a very nice looking store with a very drool worthy wall. They own the whole shopping center they are in which also includes Guzu Gallery (looks like a lot of anime and overseas collectibles) and an action figure and board games store. I am not a fan of Austin Books because of how the manager treats people but for first timers I will still recommend stopping by. They are at 51st and Lamar.

One of my favorites is Capstone Comics, also with a huge selection. The owner, John, is one of the nicest and coolest guys in the hobby. Lots of back issue boxes and almost any comic you could want is in the back, you just have to ask. They are off Anderson close to Hwy 183.

Depending on where you venture out to, I will also recommend Titan Moon Comics in Cedar Park, just north of Austin. They have been open almost two years now so they are still in the beginning stages of growth but they are a lot of fun to talk to. They are off of Lakeline Blvd and Cypress Creek.

There are a few more, mostly hole in the wall shops that only sell new comics with no back issues or wall books (Dragon's Lair). But those three are the ones I'd recommend.

I am not a fan of Austin Books because of how the manager treats people...

I recently inquired regarding an expensive book that Austin Books had on ebay, but never rec'd a reply from them.

So the following week I called the shop, and the person who answered the phone seemed totally lost. After putting me on hold for about 5 minutes, he said he couldn't help me.

So I next sent a customer contact email via their website, but once again did not receive a reply.

Something like that? :facepalm:

I recently inquired regarding an expensive book that Austin Books had on ebay, but never rec'd a reply from them.

So the following week I called the shop, and the person who answered the phone seemed totally lost. After putting me on hold for about 5 minutes, he said he couldn't help me.

So I next sent a customer contact email via their website, but once again did not receive a reply.

No...but I have experienced stuff along the lines of that too.

That issue comes from about 90% of the staff not knowing anything about comics or having any real power to do anything to help a customer. Most of those employees work there because of the "selling comics is hip and we like to be hip" mentality. They don't actually know too much about them. Also the manager, Brandon, apparently does not allow anyone to discuss pricing or availability without him being there.

My main issue with them (I've said it on here before so I'll keep it brief) is Brandon likes to rip off people when buying their comics or selling his comics to them. I witnessed him lowballing a guy on a ASM #129 and the customer clearly did not know what he had.

Also during that Batman anniversary almost two years ago, DC gave LCS's a reprint copy of Detective Comics #27 to give away for free. They were supposed to be for free with no incentives. This place would only give you a copy if you purchased something from them, not what DC Comics had told them to do.

The shop is nice and I'd love to be a regular customer there but I cannot stand Brandon's policies and the lack of any knowledge or help from the staff.

The shop is nice and I'd love to be a regular customer there but I cannot stand Brandon's policies and the lack of any knowledge or help from the staff.

Since you're from out of town, I think it's still worth a visit. The place is HUGE, with a great selection of new books/TPB as well as bagged & boarded back issues in the racks/drawers. Those are all pre-priced, so it's no hassle if you're willing to pay sticker.