• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Adventures Of Superman #596

52 posts in this topic

This is a truly bizarre book. How coincidentally unfortunate is it that this came out a day after 9/11?

DC did the right thing and issued a recall for it, but no one seemed to return these according to reports. Not too many of these appear online and there appears to be no discussion for this book in these boards. So here it is in its own thread.

TheAdventuresOfSuperman596TwinTowersPanel.jpg

TheAdventuresOfSuperman596Cover.jpg

This book didn't come out on Sept 12.

It was published the week of August 31.

Close, but not "the day after."

(shrug)

Interesting.

A quick google search reveals that Recalled Comics says it was and mike's amazing currently supports that by showing a release date of Sept 12th.

http://www.mikesamazingworld.com/features/comic.php?comicid=1876

Something that actually refutes the date others are showing would be great for the discussion.

:popcorn:

edit: GCD 9/12 also The reference is Diamond 43, is that the Previews magazine?

MCS:

Adventures of Superman (1987) #596

Published Nov 2001 by DC.

WRITTEN BY JOE CASEY. ART AND COVER BY MIKE WIERINGO AND JOSÉ MARZAN, JR. This...doesn't look like a job for Superman. Has the Man of Steel turned his back on the world after the War? It certainly looks like it when neither the JLA nor the President can get the Man of Steel to help with the recovery of our planet. Note: Released for sale on September 12th, this comic features images that are strikingly similar to the 9/11 tragedy in New York City. Cover price $2.25.

There are both direct editions and newsstand editions for this book. Were newsstand still delayed by 2001, or did they come out the same day as direct editions?

MCS:

Adventures of Superman (1987) #596

Published Nov 2001 by DC.

WRITTEN BY JOE CASEY. ART AND COVER BY MIKE WIERINGO AND JOSÉ MARZAN, JR. This...doesn't look like a job for Superman. Has the Man of Steel turned his back on the world after the War? It certainly looks like it when neither the JLA nor the President can get the Man of Steel to help with the recovery of our planet. Note: Released for sale on September 12th, this comic features images that are strikingly similar to the 9/11 tragedy in New York City. Cover price $2.25.

From all the articles Ive read so far this was the one that really caught my attention. Dating back to September 16, 2001:

http://icv2.com/articles/comics/view/714/dc-makes-adventures-superman-596-returnable

Esp since it references the comic book speculating market with eBay as its benchmark

One dealer was holding his two remaining copies for regular customers, rather than see them go to speculators. Some may think the item will become a collector's item, but there was no significant action on the issue on eBay as of Monday afternoon.

There are both direct editions and newsstand editions for this book. Were newsstand still delayed by 2001, or did they come out the same day as direct editions?

That's a possibility.

I know I bought my ASM v2 36 newsstand copies a couple weeks after I got one copy of the direct edition from my pull list. I also recall other boardies mentioning the later release for Cap #25 when loading up on those to flip and that was like 2007 or 08.

hm

(shrug)

Interesting.

A quick google search reveals that Recalled Comics says it was and mike's amazing currently supports that by showing a release date of Sept 12th.

Recalled Comics is not a credible source.

Something that actually refutes the date others are showing would be great for the discussion.

I agree.

From the US Copyright office:

Superman no. 174, Nov01. Claimant: DC Comics, Inc. (employer for hire) Created 2001; Pub. 2001-08-24; Reg. 2001-09-18; TX0005409028

Adventures of Superman no. 596, Nov01. Created 2001; Pub. 2001-08-31; Reg. 2001-10-25; TX0005432353

Superman Man of Steel no. 118, Nov01. Created 2001; Pub. 2001-09-07; Reg. 2002-02-06; TX0005478721

http://cocatalog.loc.gov/cgi-bin/Pwebrecon.cgi (that's to start the search. You'll have to set the search limits to 2001.)

Now....is the US Copyright office incorrect? Possibly. However, where there are books with known (and fairly unrefuted) release dates, like the Death of Superman issues, the office is accurate...with the odd exception of Superman #75, which was NOT released on 12/8/92, though that may have been when DC filed.

I DO remember that the book came out BEFORE 9/11, but very close to it, but that is anecdotal, and useless for this particular issue.

Perhaps the chaos of the time has dulled some memories, but there's clearly some official conflict.

Unrelated interesting sidenotes: #174 is said to have been published on Aug 24, 2001, but it has a November cover date. DC had attempted to fix that in 1988, and did to a large extent, but they were back to "3 months" from "publication" to cover date.

And...the publication dates, at least for 2001, are all on a Friday.

That's a really good question. I don't have any idea, unfortunately.

(shrug)

Interesting.

I agree.

Superman no. 174, Nov01. Claimant: DC Comics, Inc. (employer for hire) Created 2001; Pub. 2001-08-24; Reg. 2001-09-18; TX0005409028

Adventures of Superman no. 596, Nov01. Created 2001; Pub. 2001-08-31; Reg. 2001-10-25; TX0005432353

Superman Man of Steel no. 118, Nov01. Created 2001; Pub. 2001-09-07; Reg. 2002-02-06; TX0005478721

http://cocatalog.loc.gov/cgi-bin/Pwebrecon.cgi (that's to start the search. You'll have to set the search limits to 2001.)

Now....is the US Copyright office incorrect? Possibly. However, where there are books with known (and fairly unrefuted) release dates, like the Death of Superman issues, the office is accurate...with the odd exception of Superman #75, which was NOT released on 12/8/92, though that may have been when DC filed.

I DO remember that the book came out BEFORE 9/11, but very close to it, but that is anecdotal, and useless for this particular issue.

Perhaps the chaos of the time has dulled some memories, but there's clearly some official conflict.

Unrelated interesting sidenotes: #174 is said to have been published on Aug 24, 2001, but it has a November cover date. DC had attempted to fix that in 1988, and did to a large extent, but they were back to "3 months" from "publication" to cover date.

So to be clear, where do you stand on the topic?

Do you now agree with the numerous online sources that list and speak of the fact that the comic arrived at shops on Tuesday September 11 for a Wednesday September 12 release?

Or do you stand by this US Copyright claim which has the release date on a Friday?

I don't believe this came out Sept 12 for a couple of reasons: first, as I remember, commerce was essentially halted that day throughout the nation. I know something happened with comics deliveries, either they were delayed a day or longer. That may have been a scheduled release date (and it was), but I'm pretty certain that nothing was actually delivered on that day.

I don't know that anyone had new comics that day.

As well, it would have been quite something if this book...showing damage to the towers "in metropolis"...had actually hit the stands that Wednesday, and as I said, I don't believe ANY comics hit the stands that day.

I am fairly certain that this book actually showed up the week before, which, while still quite prescient, didn't have quite the sales pitch that "This book came out the day after Sept 11!!!" to it.

Also, the book is fairly common. There may have been an "attempted" recall, but as we know with other recalled books, like LOEG #5 and Elseworlds 80 Page Giant #1, when a book is recalled prior to distribution, they're pretty thorough in scooping copies out of the market. Again, maybe it wasn't caught in time, etc etc, but that there wasn't a real recall of this leads me to believe that it was on comic shelves before 9/11.

And then there's the US Copyright Office info.

I know a lot of people are saying "oh, it came out the day after!" but there are also a lot of people who say things that are inaccurate, and that inaccuracy can spread for a long time before it's corrected, like the "fat diamonds" of Marvel in 1977-1979 were all reprints.

So, who knows? I DO wish I had kept far more meticulous records.

(shrug)

Interesting.

I agree.

So to be clear, where do you stand on the topic?

Do you now agree with the numerous online sources that list and speak of the fact that the comic arrived at shops on Tuesday September 11 for a Wednesday September 12 release?

I've said this before, but I do not care how "numerous" online sources may be. Online sources have been wrong before, and will be wrong again. That many of them say the same thing is not (necessarily) proof.

The widespread belief of an idea is not proof that it is true.

Or do you stand by this US Copyright claim which has the release date on a Friday?

The US Copyright Office says the publication date was 8-31. It does not (necessarily) say what the release date was. Some may think it's an irrelevant difference, but I do not. It is necessary to find out what the USCO defines as "publication."

And, frankly, the USCO carries a lot more weight than most "online sources."

So, we're counting on a government agency for accurate information?

If there's one thing gov'ts do well, it is keep records. It's one of the few functions that bureaucracies have mastered.

Of course, as pointed out, even the USCO has inaccurate information, or "inaccurate information" as we understand it.

I think we can all agree that this is misinformation that you stated as fact.

Your only source of proof is a copyright date that you yourself agree is not always correct and your own recollection of events which flies contrary to other site references.