• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

eBay.ca will force sellers to list only in CDN dollars starting June 1

6 posts in this topic

In their infinite wisdom, eBay.ca announced this morning that Canadian sellers will only be allowed to list in CDN dollars starting June 1 (or migrate to .com, which creates a series of other problems).

http://pages.ebay.ca/sellerinformation/list-in-cad/index.html

The status quo on eBay.ca has always been to sell in USD. I know that there are numerous boardies who are located in Canada, list on eBay.ca and sell in USD. How will this affect your comic business?

The brass at eBay.ca claim that they have statistical data to support this move, but are not willing to provide it. I am very concerned that this will scare away my American customers. How do you feel about buying in CDN instead of USD? Would you avoid a potential comic transaction if you saw the comic priced in CDN?

I could be wrong but i didnt think this was a big deal. When i click on an item not in the US(which isnt often) It shows whatever currency they are asking for, and then the US equivalent .

I think in Paypal you also have the option of sending the payment in a different currency than US dollars . They do all the math and leg work.

I think the thing will hurt is if someone is in the US and sees a higher price for a Canadian item . For example if NM 87 is going for $100 US . Canadian equivalency is $150 ( just an example, i dont know the rate)

But I could be wrong on my take of the whole thing .

I wonder if they have taken a lot of heat from customers who see:

$100 not reading all the fine print seeing USD and then getting their CC statement in the mail and seeing it for $135 Canadian.

I list on ebay.com and in USD so hopefully they don't screw around with that as I just renewed my store about 2 months ago with them...

I was wondering about this also...

I'm registered with eBay.ca but now I am thinking that after May, I will be migrating my listings to .com

How does migrating to .com create a series of other problems? Isn't it just a simple matter of logging in on the .com or are there different seller requirements for Top Rated and Power Seller status?

I had a couple of problems in mind:

One could be the tax table (though I realize this does not affect everyone). Luckily, after doing some research, it seems that this is not a problem with using eBay.com.

The other problem that I have in mind is the shipping caps in certain categories. I have not looked closely at this yet, but I do not only sell comics and eBay.com is likely not set up to cater to the high costs of shipping using Canada Post.

I am sure that there might be other problems that I have not thought of yet, like powerseller status, and I'm feeling a bit more cynical than usual today.