• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Would you take a 6.5 CGC SS or 7.5 CGC blue - same price.

23 posts in this topic

So I get that signatures like Stan Lee, etc., don't seem to get much approval on the boards, there is still a premium on the pricing vs. their blue label counterparts when looking at GPA.

Question is, for the same comic and price, would you prefer a 6.5 with a nice signature or take a 7.5 blue?

So I get that signatures like Stan Lee, etc., don't seem to get much approval on the boards, there is still a premium on the pricing vs. their blue label counterparts when looking at GPA.

Question is, for the same comic and price, would you prefer a 6.5 with a nice signature or take a 7.5 blue?

yaaahhh probably depends on the sig and the look of the sig on the comic.

yaaahhh probably depends on the sig and the look of the sig on the comic.

For argument sake, let's say a Stan Lee (since it seems to be the most sought after one), good -script, good placement that doesn't interfere with the cover art.

For me, it would definately be a 6.5 sig series with Cockrum, Stevens, Thorne, or other similarly hard to get artists. For most bronze age books, there is not much price difference anyway from one mid-grade to the next two grades apart.

Now 9.8 Blue versus 9.4 SS, and it would probably be the 9.8 unless it was a very common 9.8 versus a very hard to get signature.

Depends on who signed it and what book, the grade level/range hurts the blue argument for me.

AF 15 - blue no matter what

Any Ditko ASM with a stan lee sig, yellow

ASM 39 or a few others with a romita sig yellow

ASM 129 - conway sig yellow but if it was 8.5 vs 9.2 grade blue I'd go blue

Depends on who signed it and what book, the grade level/range hurts the blue argument for me.

+1 I'll take any book in any condition with a Kirby.

I wonder how the market will look once Neal Adams or Stan Lee(are they the most common?) have passed away. Have Herb Trimpe SS's seen any uptick?

+1 I'll take any book in any condition with a Kirby.

I wonder how the market will look once Neal Adams or Stan Lee(are they the most common?) have passed away. Have Herb Trimpe SS's seen any uptick?

Trimpe SS have not seen much of a bump. He was an enthusiastic and prolific signer, and he attended conventions pretty regularly for the last 6-8 years. It will take some time before demand outstrips supply. The exception is Hulk 180-181. They are on a slow and steady rise.

I wondered the same thing about Trimpe and think it would definitely be a nice to have. I do think the general population does value SL since he's such an iconic figure. Appeals to collectors as well as people who like the category.

I would take the blue almost every time - but I think everyone should have one Stan Lee Sig Series book (provided he was involved with the specific book or the creation of the character(s)).

I would also like to obtain a mid grade Trimpe and Wein SS Hulk 180 or 181

Blue for me as well, it makes me cringe when I see high grade mega silver age keys with sigs.

Totally agree. #defacement

Since no one is talking about high grade mega keys, I don't get what your point is.

#puzzled

Blue for me as well, it makes me cringe when I see high grade mega silver age keys with sigs.

Totally agree. #defacement

Since no one is talking about high grade mega keys, I don't get what your point is.

#puzzled

especially not talking about silver mega keys in the bronze forum.

On a related note, I prefer blue 7.5 1st Spider-Gwen to yellow 6.5 1st Spider Gwen signed by Robbi R. That's relevant too right?

i'd go blue label.

I don't care for SS books especially those signed in black marker on the cover. A nice neat sig in pen looks much better but those seem to be few and far between. I would still take the higher graded blue label for my collection. No way would i pass up a nicer copy just to have a sig.