• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Is Submariner #1 considered a bronze age key?

52 posts in this topic

If it isn't then why not?

I haven't heard much about this book. You'd think it's only a matter of time before he makes an appearance somewhere.

Is this book on anyone's radar?

isn't bronze and isn't key

Okay then considered silver? But still not a key?

If it isn't then why not?

I haven't heard much about this book. You'd think it's only a matter of time before he makes an appearance somewhere.

Is this book on anyone's radar?

isn't bronze and isn't key

Harsh! (but true). :grin:

Still wouldn't kick them out of bed though . . .

Kinda hard to call it a key, isn't it? It's only the umpteenth appearance of Subby. Kinda like Dr Strange # 1.

Because it's a # 1 issue, people will seek it out but that in itself doesn't make it a key

Kinda hard to call it a key, isn't it? It's only the umpteenth appearance of Subby. Kinda like Dr Strange # 1.

Because it's a # 1 issue, people will seek it out but that in itself doesn't make it a key

But is it one of those under the radar books? Not being hot right now like your typical key books?

Wouldn't we expect for him to make an appearance sooner or later in a movie or Netflix?

And if that occurred could the status of issue #1 change to become a key?

Is that possible?

But is it one of those under the radar books? Not being hot right now like your typical key books?

Wouldn't we expect for him to make an appearance sooner or later in a movie or Netflix?

And if that occurred could the status of issue #1 change to become a key?

Is that possible?

Possibly (shrug) As is often the case with these types of discussions, we're getting hung up on the term "key". What makes or does not make a key issue?

As I said, because it's a # 1 issue, there will always be demand. However, does that make it a key? I don't know. I don't consider it to be a key anymore than I consider Dr Strange # 1 to be a key

If Subby gets hot (let's say due to movie hype) collectors should be seeking out earlier appearances of the character. However, as we've seen, if it's a # 1 issue, collectors will flock to it.

I would say that's a pretty good example of a key.

Semi-key, silver age.

Umpteenth appearance doesn't kill it as Iron Man & Cap's solo runs are probably keys, and Hulk's too probably, but those went into the 90s, 2000s. Subby didn't make it out of the 70s.

Semi-key, silver age.

Umpteenth appearance doesn't kill it as Iron Man & Cap's solo runs are probably keys, and Hulk's too probably, but those went into the 90s, 2000s. Subby didn't make it out of the 70s.

Subby did make it out of the 70's with another run by writer John Bryne in the 90's.

To compare with a similar title: Is Silver Surfer #1 considered a key?

The duration of his initial series was much less in number of issues produced but I have a feeling it would still be considered a key issue today by most collectors.

Semi-key, silver age.

Subby did make it out of the 70's with another run by writer John Bryne in the 90's.

The duration of his initial series was much less in number of issues produced but I have a feeling it would still be considered a key issue today by most collectors.

Yes, and it took like 15 yerars to get a new series and the next Subby series only lasted 5 years.

At least SSs second series lasted around 10.

And yes, SS #1 is a key, Subby 1 is a semi-key.

Plus SS #1 is what, not even his 10th appearance! Subby was at least in his 30s, not including a billion GA appearances.

Because SS is all around awesome. Because I say so.

And it has been worth a chunk of change for a long long time! When I was a kid Subby 1 was lame, but SS 1 was cool.

Semi-key, silver age.

Yes, and it took like 15 yerars to get a new series and the next Subby series only lasted 5 years.

Plus SS #1 is what, not even his 10th appearance! Subby was at least in his 30s, not including a billion GA appearances.

Because SS is all around awesome. Because I say so. (thumbs u

And it has been worth a chunk of change for a long long time! When I was a kid Subby 1 was lame, but SS 1 was cool.

Semi-key, silver age.

Curious on opinions out there. What about Ms. Marvel and Nova #1's?

Are they considered bronze age keys?

Semi-key, silver age.

Curious on opinions out there. What about Ms. Marvel and Nova #1's?

Are they considered bronze age keys?

they weren't always considered something important but they did age well - so they are BA semi- keys to me at least.

Plus - Nova 1 is his first appearance and Ms. Marvel 1 is a very early appearance if not the first in costume (not sure-- not a big deal to me).