• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Is Submariner #1 considered a bronze age key?

52 posts in this topic

If it isn't then why not?

I haven't heard much about this book. You'd think it's only a matter of time before he makes an appearance somewhere.

Is this book on anyone's radar?

isn't bronze and isn't key

Okay then considered silver? But still not a key?

Every* series has an issue #1. So why would just being the first issue make it a key?

I haven't heard much about this book. You'd think it's only a matter of time before he makes an appearance somewhere.

Every* series has an issue #1. So why would just being the first issue make it a key?

I agree but as I said earlier, the term "key" is debatable.

I consider Nova 1 and Ms Marvel 1 to be keys because they are the first appearance of those characters. Subby 1? Not so much.

I consider Nova 1 and Ms Marvel 1 to be keys because they are the first appearance of those characters. Subby 1? Not so much.

+1

+1

Anyone know what issue is Subby's first appearance? That has to be considered a key issue correct?

Yes, Subby's first appearance may very well be a seven figure book (in top grade) [depending on which book you consider to be his first app, Marvel Comics 1 or Motion Picture Funnies Weekly 1..the release dates for each are in debate)

---

Well, I guess Carol Danvers, without super powers, had appeared several times before and she got exposed to the whatever that would eventually gel into her powers in Captain Marvel 18, so it's a bit less I think. More of a semi in my mind, but the market has bestowed key status on it in the last few years.

In my mind, a key issue has to have had something significant happen in it. Like Batman #47, for example, or IH #181. Submariner standing with a trident looking all regal and buff doesn't qualify. FF #4 could be considered a key since it was his 1st appearance since his last appearance in the golden age. Which was - what - 6 years earlier? He hadn't really been away all that long.

The "market" might consider it a key to help garner higher values for sales time, but if something really noteworthy didn't happen in a book - #1 or not - something that filled in a major gap or changed the trajectory of a given character or characters, then it's just another book as a part or beginning of a series.

I guess the mid-50s Sub-Mariner revival was such a bust (along with the attempt to revive Cap) Marvel acted like it didn't happen. (Jeez, every cover of the mid-50s Submariner comic is the same...him terrorizing some poor Russian sailors, why is Namor such a patriotic American?)

I guess the mid-50s Sub-Mariner revival was such a bust (along with the attempt to revive Cap) Marvel acted like it didn't happen. (Jeez, every cover of the mid-50s Submariner comic is the same...him terrorizing some poor Russian sailors, why is Namor such a patriotic American?)

Is he? I guess he is because he was on the Invaders team and fought in the World War.

Captain America must be the biggest single influence on Namor to play nice to the surface world.

Or perhaps Sue Richards back in the day. :devil:

I bet dollars to donuts Disney/Marvel is watching what happens with Aquaman...

I might be wrong but I don't believe Marvel Studios has the rights to Sub-Mariner.

Which is a shame.

Subby is the last of the original Silver age Marvel stars, that had their own series, yet to be in a feature film :(

edit: 1 of 2, if we want to include Captain Mar-Vell

I might be wrong but I don't believe Marvel Studios has the rights to Sub-Mariner.

Which is a shame.

Subby is the last of the original Silver age Marvel stars, that had their own series, yet to be in a feature film :(

Giant Man & The Wasp!

Millie the Model!

Patsy & Heddy!

Which is a shame.

I think Disney has enough power to buy the rights to whatever they want. Maybe the fact that they haven't bought the rights from Universal is proof that they have no plans for Subby?