• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Is Submariner #1 considered a bronze age key?

52 posts in this topic

If it isn't then why not?

I haven't heard much about this book. You'd think it's only a matter of time before he makes an appearance somewhere.

Is this book on anyone's radar?

isn't bronze and isn't key

Okay then considered silver? But still not a key?

Every* series has an issue #1. So why would just being the first issue make it a key?

I agree but as I said earlier, the term "key" is debatable.

I consider Nova 1 and Ms Marvel 1 to be keys because they are the first appearance of those characters. Subby 1? Not so much.

+1

Iron Man 1 is considered a key. Wasn't a key 10 years ago (minor key at best) before the movie, so if there's a Subby movie, number 1 will be a key. The cover art helps as well

Key is very subjective. Nothing much happens in IM 1, sure, but it is the first issue in a title that lasted 332 issues before they messed around with the numbering and 30 years ago it was a lot more expensive than a lot of books we consider keys now (which even had some age on them at the time), nor was it a cheap book 20 years ago.

If it isn't then why not?

I haven't heard much about this book. You'd think it's only a matter of time before he makes an appearance somewhere.

Is this book on anyone's radar?

isn't bronze and isn't key

Okay then considered silver? But still not a key?

Every* series has an issue #1. So why would just being the first issue make it a key?

I agree but as I said earlier, the term "key" is debatable.

I consider Nova 1 and Ms Marvel 1 to be keys because they are the first appearance of those characters. Subby 1? Not so much.

+1

Iron Man 1 is considered a key. Wasn't a key 10 years ago (minor key at best) before the movie, so if there's a Subby movie, number 1 will be a key. The cover art helps as well

Is it? It might be more in demand or more valuable, but if it wasn't a key a decade ago, it's not a key now.

I consider it a minor key. 1st issue retells origin.

Lots of minor keys in the silver age.

To me the major keys are: AF15,AS1,FF1,ST101,ST110,Avengers 1, X-men 1, SF1,DD1,TTA27,TOS39, IH1,JIM83

Key is very subjective. Nothing much happens in IM 1, sure, but it is the first issue in a title that lasted 332 issues before they messed around with the numbering and 30 years ago it was a lot more expensive than a lot of books we consider keys now (which even had some age on them at the time), nor was it a cheap book 20 years ago.

Expensive is a relative term, of course, but I don't recall IM #1 being that pricey 20 or 30 years ago. I picked mine up along with a nice IMSM #1 for $200 back in about 1988 or 1989. The IM #1 graded out a 9.0 after a press, and structurally the IMSM is very similar but has a minor dust shadow that'd likely hammer it a bit. Anyway, those didn't seem like nutty prices at the time. Today IM #1 is definitely nutty. It isn't any more key than TOS #99 in terms of story, but it sells for 20x that book's price.

Expensive is a relative term, of course, but I don't recall IM #1 being that pricey 20 or 30 years ago. I picked mine up along with a nice IMSM #1 for $200 back in about 1988 or 1989. The IM #1 graded out a 9.0 after a press, and structurally the IMSM is very similar but has a minor dust shadow that'd likely hammer it a bit. Anyway, those didn't seem like nutty prices at the time. Today IM #1 is definitely nutty. It isn't any more key than TOS #99 in terms of story, but it sells for 20x that book's price.

.... the cover doesn't hurt it much either..... IM 1 as one of my favorite covers on any # 1 ever...... but then I'm a big Colan fan.......... all of those 1968 premieres have decent covers.... The Subby 1 is off the hook as well... GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

I know it probably doesn't detract from a book if it has a nice cover but...

Do covers really have a significance in determining if books are keys or minor keys?

Yes, many books have received that status due to their covers. Bats 227.

I know it probably doesn't detract from a book if it has a nice cover but...

Do covers really have a significance in determining if books are keys or minor keys?

No. Covers can certainly influence demand (and value), but they don't create keys.