• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Impossible Collection? Seriously...

364 posts in this topic

I think what's generating the sour grapes here is that it seems like the collection was bought with a windfall (although tragic) - the collection itself is amazing. Anyway, this reminds me of the hate towards a certain lawyer that built his amazing Marvel collection with supposedly ill-gotten gains.

So let me get this straight. Because he has money, his collection is not noteworthy. Nor is the fact he has been collecting since he was 21. Nor is the fact that he is indeed a fan.

Sounds to me like a bunch of very, very salty people who are jealous that the guy has the bank roll to buy the books he wants. Well guess what, he is STILL a collector. so stop degrading another guy because you are jealous that he can afford what you can not.

And also, his father is a billionaire, he will likely become one as well. Do you feel that there is not a lot of work to be done in that individuals life? Do you think maintaining at that level alone does not demand constant dedication?

Seriously, you wouldn't like it if he was talking about you for being poor and only having an X-Men 1 as the center piece of your collection.

Good lord, this is disappointing.

It's not really a bunch of people. Just one sopping vinegary douchehose.

I'ma borrow douchehose for a bit. Love it. Knozzle was getting stale.

Nice books but collecting comics would be boring if there is no challenge/risk/reward and as a billionaire I'd rather collect supermodels.

(thumbs u

and dress them all in leather

I think what's generating the sour grapes here is that it seems like the collection was bought with a windfall (although tragic) - the collection itself is amazing. Anyway, this reminds me of the hate towards a certain lawyer that built his amazing Marvel collection with supposedly ill-gotten gains.

I would say this is nothing like that.

Nice books but collecting comics would be boring if there is no challenge/risk/reward and as a billionaire I'd rather collect supermodels.

This is bait for the supermodels.

Good call. If he wants both looks and intellect, he needs intellect bait... like comic books.

If there are 1,000,000,000 females who are the right age for our billionaire suitor...

http://www.census.gov/idb/worldpopinfo.html

...and he refuses to "hook up" with any who aren't in the top 1% in attractiveness and the top 1% in intellect, then he only has 100,000 possible to find on the planet. If half are already married, that's 50,000 who are single.

Perhaps that's actually the point of the world tour. lol

+1

Hating on this man for his collection is completely absurd. He did not ask to be born a billionaire and his collection should definitely not be disregarded because he is one.

Personally I find it awesome someone as wealthy as he is finds such joy in this hobby. Especially if the connection he feels towards certain characters provides him any comfort whatsoever in regards to the loss of his father.

So let me get this straight. Because he has money, his collection is not noteworthy. Nor is the fact he has been collecting since he was 21. Nor is the fact that he is indeed a fan.

Sounds to me like a bunch of very, very salty people who are jealous that the guy has the bank roll to buy the books he wants. Well guess what, he is STILL a collector. so stop degrading another guy because you are jealous that he can afford what you can not.

And also, his father is a billionaire, he will likely become one as well. Do you feel that there is not a lot of work to be done in that individuals life? Do you think maintaining at that level alone does not demand constant dedication?

Seriously, you wouldn't like it if he was talking about you for being poor and only having an X-Men 1 as the center piece of your collection.

Good lord, this is disappointing.

His father was killed 11 years ago. He was the then Prime Minister of Lebanon, killed in a car bomb attack with another 22 individuals.

He inherited some of his father's companies (the tech ones) and continued to run them making his money over that time.

This I don't get. If I was a billionaire, I would so far from Lebanon that it would be a different day there. Hire people to run your company and enjoy life. But no, he has to become PM and

try to fix a country that doesn't want fixing.

Hating on this man for his collection is completely absurd. He did not ask to be born a billionaire and his collection should definitely not be disregarded because he is one.

Personally I find it awesome someone as wealthy as he is finds such joy in this hobby. Especially if the connection he feels towards certain characters provides him any comfort whatsoever in regards to the loss of his father.

Agree. I think it's pretty cool that there are some big dogs in the hobby. More interesting to read about this than another 100MM sale of some piece of artwork that I've never heard of/seen before.

+1

Rochester Children's Museum has a section dedicated to comic books with some great CGC'd books on display, but only 1/100th of what this guy has.

If he takes it on tour I would see it... for free.

It's a very impressive collection, that said, with a lot of GA and SA books which I have no interest in owning myself and, consequently, I don't feel particularly jealous of what's there. Whenever I've seen copies of the rare GA keys at conventions I've always felt somewhat underwhelmed rather than awestruck; an 'okay, is that it ?' reaction.

For example...? (shrug)

For example...? (shrug)

The person you're referring to was disbarred, so there's nothing "alleged" about what he did. The proof is there. The "hate" he gets has nothing to do with his collection, or sour grapes. There's a difference between not liking someone because they behaved unethically, and hating on someone's collection because they have the audacity to be wealthy, and proud of their Action 1s.

I don't dislike Schmell because he had a great collection. I dislike him because he is a thief.

Can I explain it any clearer?

+1

And that should be the end of it.

I don't dislike Schmell because he had a great collection. I dislike him because he is a thief.

Can I explain it any clearer?

+1

And that should be the end of it.

Exactly. Robbing people is not the same as inheriting companies and a fortune.

It's a very impressive collection, that said, with a lot of GA and SA books which I have no interest in owning myself and, consequently, I don't feel particularly jealous of what's there. Whenever I've seen copies of the rare GA keys at conventions I've always felt somewhat underwhelmed rather than awestruck; an 'okay, is that it ?' reaction.
OK, well what you collect is awesome and what everyone else collects is not. I couldn't give a rats butt about walking dead 1, NM98, BA 12, ASM 300, Hulk 181, ASM 194, GS Xmen 1, X-Men 1, ASM 129, etc.. but I don't turn my nose up at them, I flip them and buy what I like.

Lots of different focal points in this hobby. But having an Action 1 in 9.0 is pretty damn impressive.