• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Impossible Collection? Seriously...

364 posts in this topic

So let me get this straight. Because he has money, his collection is not noteworthy. Nor is the fact he has been collecting since he was 21. Nor is the fact that he is indeed a fan.

Sounds to me like a bunch of very, very salty people who are jealous that the guy has the bank roll to buy the books he wants. Well guess what, he is STILL a collector. so stop degrading another guy because you are jealous that he can afford what you can not.

And also, his father is a billionaire, he will likely become one as well. Do you feel that there is not a lot of work to be done in that individuals life? Do you think maintaining at that level alone does not demand constant dedication?

Seriously, you wouldn't like it if he was talking about you for being poor and only having an X-Men 1 as the center piece of your collection.

Good lord, this is disappointing.

His father was killed 11 years ago. He was the then Prime Minister of Lebanon, killed in a car bomb attack with another 22 individuals.

He inherited some of his father's companies (the tech ones) and continued to run them making his money over that time.

That makes it even worse. Wow hes rich, only cost him his father... :(

Having ANY complete Action 1 is pretty damn impressive, and would put any collection in the top 1% of collections.

This guy is also 37. The Ian Levines and Dentists of the collecting world have been doing this for decades.

This guy is also 37. The Ian Levines and Dentists of the collecting world have been doing this for decades.
Buying Action 1 for $500.00 < Buying it for 3.2M

Especially if your dad was rich. Because sour grapes.

If he was any kind of serious collector he would buy up all of the copies of Action #1.

If he was any kind of serious collector he would buy up all of the copies of Action #1.
for once, i'm with kav

Eric Roberts' dad is also a billionaire.

Not the same thing. Because reasons.

I think what's generating the sour grapes here is that it seems like the collection was bought with a windfall (although tragic) - the collection itself is amazing. Anyway, this reminds me of the hate towards a certain lawyer that built his amazing Marvel collection with supposedly ill-gotten gains.

I would say this is nothing like that.

For example...? (shrug)

The person you're referring to was disbarred, so there's nothing "alleged" about what he did. The proof is there. The "hate" he gets has nothing to do with his collection, or sour grapes. There's a difference between not liking someone because they behaved unethically, and hating on someone's collection because they have the audacity to be wealthy, and proud of their Action 1s.

Makes sense (thumbs u

I am not a DC fan. But this guys collection is amazing! Nice to see someone with a ton of money enjoy the hobby.

Also real funny the OP was sour grapes. Ran here to make this thread. Made blanket statements how it was not that great then admitted he did not read the entire story. :tonofbricks:

I am not a DC fan. But this guys collection is amazing! Nice to see someone with a ton of money enjoy the hobby.

Also real funny the OP was sour grapes. Ran here to make this thread. Made blanket statements how it was not that great then admitted he did not read the entire story. :tonofbricks:

The others just back-peddled after finding out how this poor guy "inherited" his fortune :tonofbricks:

This Impossible is not so impossible Ian_Levine already several years ago finished a Complete Collection of DC. Some of the board members even helped him on his way.

Someone correct me if I'm mistaken, but I got the impression many of Ian's key books are pretty raggedy. He went for quantity, not condition. Either of those Actions 1s could buy Ian's entire DC collection, and have plenty left over.

Wonder what the Metro markup was.
Yes, and could/would this affect the time if/when he decides to let them go? I mean, maybe now that we 'know' who owns the top two public traded copies, the years will build a 'mystique' around the copies, something the Nic Cage book already has had, yes,. and it will certainly take another really deep pocketed collector/business to acquire either of these copies, but could now knowing who he is have a 'reverse' affect on the resale outcome?

I read plenty of stories all the time of how 'Celebrity A' , had too take a hit on property they paid XX millions for, but resale bought 'only' X million.

I am surprised that the picture that shows the books on display in some sort of clear cases in a brightly lit studio setting isn't getting talked about as much-- from a protective standpoint.

The story was clearly written by someone who doesn't know the hobby very well. In the story, they say that if you take the books out of their protective case they immediately lose value.

Anyway-- it is impressive to own these crazy expensive collectibles. I'm not sure I would slap an impossible label on it or even consider taking it out on tour.