• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Billionaire OA collector

52 posts in this topic

I mentioned in another thread... wonder if this guy happened to really, really like the ASM 328 cover? :insane: Was that buyer ever revealed? This guy uses metro as his agent as did the 328 buyer.

Interesting that his art tastes run more modern. Guess he is buying pages from books he has a strong attachment to nostalgically. Really liked the Superman version of his father. He said that he has a strong emotional attachment to Superman so cool to see he saw his father like that.

I mentioned in another thread... wonder if this guy happened to really, really like the ASM 328 cover? :insane: Was that buyer ever revealed? This guy uses metro as his agent as did the 328 buyer.

I'm fairly certain he wasn't the client on whose behalf Metro originally purchased the cover, but who knows what's happened since.

Although I wonder if he's the guy who got the DKR book plate art for $175K, a sale Metro announced a few months ago hm :

http://www.prunderground.com/comic-art-sells-for-175000-at-metropolis-in-new-york/0063692/

Looks like we've finally found the mythical billionaire who collects comics and OA...

http://www.ibtimes.co.uk/impossible-collection-billionaire-ayman-hariri-wants-share-his-rare-dc-comic-book-collection-you-1551293

Gene`s brain just imploded at the sheer impossibility of this.

He'll explain his way out of it :insane:

(although I'm as surprised as he is, really)

Looks like we've finally found the mythical billionaire who collects comics and OA...

http://www.ibtimes.co.uk/impossible-collection-billionaire-ayman-hariri-wants-share-his-rare-dc-comic-book-collection-you-1551293

I've heard that the Russian and Chinese oligarch money is getting directed towards comics and OA now, now that they've heard that serious Middle Eastern money has already moved into the space.

Plus DC seems to be his thing so Spidey might not even be an interest.

The exhibition is titled Impossible Collection (DC Chapter), an event launched in conjunction with BvS. It's fully possible his Marvel OA and other art are waiting to be showcased at a separate event hm

The article also states "Hariri's collection consists of thousands of other comic books". It's highly likely books from Marvel and other publishers are among them.

Thanks for pointing out the art (several of you). I'm no fan of the display system they went with, but still a cool exhibit. I'd have to imagine this would be pretty popular with the general public. Though charging for tickets - understandable - but a limiting factor on attendance. There are costs to do something like this (insurance/security being the very first!); the softer approach to recouping (some, at least) is packaging the exhibit inside a larger institution that charges, and maybe bumping the usual ticket price 10% (or not at all, since cost for services are then 'shared'). All noise though. It's great there's a show of comics and art together that is very much geared to the people. Maybe some new collectors will be born? I think it would be great for everyone to enjoy something* as much as we enjoy this hobby!

I've heard that the Russian and Chinese oligarch money is getting directed towards comics and OA now, now that they've heard that serious Middle Eastern money has already moved into the space.

Sorry, Tim and Dan, but my mind's not blown. To paraphrase Gordon Gekko, I guess you guys were the 10th and 11th men on the deal team and the last to know about Hariri. :baiting:

As I've said before, "there are no secrets in comic art" (even though I've been told that he's not a big OA guy) - I and others have known about him long before this Impossible Collection business popped up (I also know of some other stuff he owns which is not on display in this exhibit). Furthermore, his existence does not contradict anything I've ever said about foreigners, billionaires and celebrities not getting into the hobby. In fact, at least the last round or two of posts on the subject were written specifically knowing about Hariri. :/

And, to correct you for the umpteenth time, Tim, as you persist on misrepresenting my still iron-clad position, I've NEVER said that foreigners, billionaires and celebrities don't collect this stuff. (tsk) What I DID say is that none of these guys, with no prior interest in the hobby, wakes up at age 37 or 47 or 57 and sees that the first Wolvie appearance page or an Action #1 is going up for auction and suddenly decides that they have to have it. Every known celebrity or mega-rich person that collects American comics and/or OA was immersed into the comics culture at a reasonably young age and is able to, at the very least, read English. :preach:

Just look at this guy Hariri. Young guy. Educated in the U.S. (and thus undoubtedly introduced to this material/culture in his teens, if not earlier). Fluent in English. And, good for him, he's been able to carve out the time to focus on putting together a 1,000 book top DC comic collection - empirically, many younger billionaires just don't have the time to do that for any kind of collecting pursuit as exacting as comics/OA where you're not just buying 1, 2 or a handful of pieces a year as you would in many other hobbies. :idea:

Meanwhile, oligarchs in China and Russia who didn't grow up with this material and, in many cases, don't even speak English, will never care about it enough to have discussions about it with their buddy Oleg in their $150 million properties in London or Monte Carlo unless the stuff becomes established as a mega universal status symbol first (which I don't see ever happening to an extent that it would attract that kind of money from people who don't really care about it). How else to explain peoples' constant disappointment that Liu Yiqian or Roman Abramovich never end up as the buyer for the high-profile comic/OA lots at auction? And, never mind the fact that, at least for OA, probably 90%+ of the major pieces that have sold can be traced back to the usual suspects. GL #76 cover? Sorry, it wasn't New Jersey Nets owner Mikhail Prokhorov who bought it, it was just a usual suspect from Bayside, Queens. :P