• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Bronze Age Fantastic Four Appreciation Thread
8 8

1,325 posts in this topic

On 5/20/2022 at 2:38 PM, WernerVonDoom said:

Red torch! He had that red costume from issues 132 to 159.

FF0140-98.jpg

While a decade before my collecting time,  those Buckler homage to Kirby issues are great especially Namor wearing his Disco Suit..  Almost 20 years ago I decided to pursue some the interior art rather than the comics. So while I have very little in terms of the Comics themselves sure glad I decided to get those Buckler/Sinnott pages when they were within my reach.

Edited by MAR1979

On 5/23/2022 at 5:24 PM, MattTheDuck said:

Gotta admire his persistence.

FF - 143.jpg

A classic cover.  At least in my opinion anyway.  I remember there was this arcade in downtown Boston back in the early 70s that had a huge poster of this book in the window.  Never read the book, but always thought it was SO COOL.  Always wondered where they got it.  Kane and Romita, right?   

Also an OTR, but sold here on the Boards.  I see that most copies have the same printing flaw at the top left between the 'Fantastic' and the 'Four'.

FF145sale.thumb.jpg.77283fd737bd13555743f750725c6bae.jpg

Edited by namisgr

On 5/27/2022 at 3:40 AM, namisgr said:

Three more bought off the rack, and decades later slabbed for sale without having been pressed.

FF141cgc.thumb.jpg.087b20a9aa53936111677802d3a092d9.jpg  FF143cgc.thumb.jpg.1e09e4fcd941d8864913ecdb77eb356f.jpg  FF144cgc.thumb.jpg.b0f6a5548468138e0a3f8eb0a386b42a.jpg

Did you buy two and only read one? If not you must have been a careful reader. Nice copies!

On 5/27/2022 at 5:33 PM, WernerVonDoom said:

Did you buy two and only read one? If not you must have been a careful reader. Nice copies!

Thanks!  I was a careful reader.  By the time these issues came out I was in college, and had learned to handle and read comics without damaging them.  It also helped that the source for my books at college was a news agency on campus, and instead of cramming the new books into spinner racks they used tiered wooden shelving for all their comics and magazines - much less damage, as in the spinners books had to be pawed/bent in order to see what was behind the front couple of copies.  Finally, I almost always bought them on Wednesday, the day they first appeared for sale.  Ultimately, the main source for edge wear and corner damage to my books came in the 1980s from shipping them by truck from Illinois to California and then four years later by moving van from California to Delaware, all in ziplock bags without backing boards loaded into cardboard boxes.

Here's another of them.

FF148sale.thumb.jpg.ede4b883c498d0696ef53acd87eff3e2.jpg

Edited by namisgr