• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Bronze Age Fantastic Four Appreciation Thread
8 8

1,326 posts in this topic

The slab was a gift I received years ago in the Boards Secret Santa. I was lucky enough to meet Mr. Goldberg at the NYCC in 2012. I can't find my pix at the moment. If anyone doesn't know, he was the main colorist at Marvel in the early days and designed the color schemes of many of the Silver Age superheroes and villains. And the pre-hero tobacco sunburst background covers to boot!

FF139.jpg

FF139CGC.jpg

I posted about this in the "Garage Sale" thread in Comics General, but I picked up a 115-book collection at an Estate Sale last weekend. They were all Bronze Age and various titles, but 92 of the books also had Mark Jewelers Inserts. It was pointed out to me that the collector might have been in the armed services and picked most of these books up while on base.  I have not yet found one with a "star" which as I understand it would only be on books sold on a base.  In any case, I was pretty jazzed when I opened up the first plastic bag of ASM's (they were ziploc-bagged together by title) and they were almost all MJI's.  I was less jazzed later when I realized some were missing the Marvel Value Stamp and they are of course typical of what you find at Estate or Garage Sales, meaning not high grade.  Overall, the collection ranges from Good to Fine and a couple might reach VF.  Here are the FF's - #145, #146 & #151 are missing the MVS.

FF - 145 - 3 - MVS NO - MJI.jpg

FF - 146 - 4 - MVS NO - MJI.jpg

FF - 151 - 3 - MVS NO - MJI.jpg

FF - 152 - 3 - MVS ok - MJI.jpg

FF - 152 - 4 - MVS ok - MJI.jpg

FF - 156 - 4 - MJI.jpg

FF - 159 - 3 - MVS ok - MJI.jpg

FF - 160 - 3 - MVS ok - MJI.jpg

FF - GS - 2 - 2.jpg

KS - FF - 8.jpg

Edited by MattTheDuck