• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Bronze Age Fantastic Four Appreciation Thread
8 8

1,324 posts in this topic

Back to beaters. #116 dogged me a bit. I was only coming across low grade copies or high grade copies I didn't want to drop the coin on. I settled on this for a place holder but have never gotten around to upgrading. I let a few go by on the Boards that would have suited me, but I didn't have the interest when they popped up.

FF116.jpg

Reprints the Galactus story from FF50.  It was a great way for a Bronze Age kid to get exposure to one of the best Silver Age story arcs and also King Kirby's brilliance.

One of the outcomes from a book having the staples on the front cover rather than directly on the spine is the tendency to develop a vertical reader's crease just to their right.

MGC37.thumb.jpg.53b08a8ff3f1458099b077eae6b0af84.jpg

Edited by namisgr

Another rough copy with no upgrade. I always had trouble finding the right copy so I settled for this cheapie as a placeholder. Like my #116, I've passed up some decent copies on the Boards because I wanted to spend my money on other books.

FF118.jpg

Current copy:

FF120.thumb.jpg.cbb3df3993ad9285479efaead76b4757.jpg

The quest for upgrades had me owning several copies over the decades.  They show how much a color palette can change over the course of a printing run - look at how much more purple and brown the Rocky Mountain copy has than the other two:

FF120cgc-1.jpg.ea092473455138c9c85f7e008cb15fc5.jpg   FF120Rocky.jpg.813e99824b71ef22dcc21a09df0b7db6.jpg    FF120sale.thumb.jpg.e9c1c8ccdb11651e186dfeb6aa735316.jpg

Edited by namisgr