• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Rotten Tomatoes critics are full of it! Batman v Superman was good! spoilers!

141 posts in this topic

Didn't you think that the recent Spiderman 2 was a good movie as well? hm

lol don't forget the Oscar win predictions for DKR

I now know a superhero movie will never win a Oscar for best picture. When I made that statement 3 years ago I was naive to the politics of Hollywood.

You do understand that Rotten Tomatoes is just an average of all reviews, and 230 plus reviews is basically all of them? By that logic you can say Metacritic sucks also because is has the movie at a 44.

The audience has BVS at 73% The audience pays to see the movie and they liked it. I will take a paying customer`s opinion over some artsy fartsy rotten tomatoes critic who gets in to see the movies for free any-day!

And the fan score for Age of Ultron on RT was a 84%, and i personally thought that movie was a massive disappointment.

Superman vs. Batman blew Avengers Ultron out of the water for me.

This shows the contrast in tone of the pictures.

Batman vs. Superman is dark and gritty,while Avengers: Age of Ultron is something safe and homogenized.

Just got back from a showing. Wife, teenaged son and I all agreed. Movie was "eh". Disappointing based on our expectations but not a bad movie. Just disappointing.

Consensus was that we'd all have preferred to have seen a Ben Affleck standalone Batman movie. He was excellent. We'd even have preferred a Wonder Woman movie. It's just another sense of DC rushing things when you wish they wouldn't have.

Anyway, glad other's enjoyed it. There are worse ways to have spent 2 1/2 hours so it wasn't a waste of time, and I'm sure I'll watch it again on HBO when it's on. But it's definitely tempered my excitement for what's to come.

Just got back from a showing. Wife, teenaged son and I all agreed. Movie was "eh". Disappointing based on our expectations but not a bad movie. Just disappointing.

Consensus was that we'd all have preferred to have seen a Ben Affleck standalone Batman movie. He was excellent. We'd even have preferred a Wonder Woman movie. It's just another sense of DC rushing things when you wish they wouldn't have.

Anyway, glad other's enjoyed it. There are worse ways to have spent 2 1/2 hours so it wasn't a waste of time, and I'm sure I'll watch it again on HBO when it's on. But it's definitely tempered my excitement for what's to come.

So my theory is starting to make some sense in that it`s Superman who doesn`t fit in.

Superman doesn`t seem to relate to modern audiences. Maybe he is too powerful?

This is three strikes in less than a decade in that most audiences had no interest in Superman.

Strike 1: Superman Returns with Brandon Routh.

Strike 2 : Man of Steel had a bunch of haters.

Strike 3: Batman v.Superman.

Everybody loved Ben Affleck as Batman,and loved Gal Gadot as Wonder Woman.

It seems Superman`s time has passed.

Even Tarzan with his new movie will fit in better with modern audiences than Superman.

This is shocking on how far Superman has fell with being relevant.

I bet more people now rather watch another Deadpool movie than another Superman movie.

Something has to be done to make Superman cool again with modern audiences.

hm

So my theory is starting to make some sense in that it`s Superman who doesn`t fit in.

This is three strikes in less than a decade in that most audiences had no interest in Superman.

Everybody loved Ben Affleck as Batman ,and loved Gal Gadot as Wonder Woman.

Even Tarzan with his new movie will fit in better with modern audiences than Superman.

I bet more people now rather watch another Deadpool movie than another Superman movie.

hm

First of all, I don't think it's just about Superman as an issue. I think it's about trying to cram six years of movies into three years of releases. Short cuts are taken. Things get missed.

But to your Superman point...

I don't think there's anything at all wrong with the character of Superman. I think that if at any point we walk into the movie theater again after the original Superman I and II and actually SEE an honest Superman movie on a screen? People will love it.

Brandon Routh was a perfectly good Superman trapped in a terrible movie that, while it seemed made by people who loved Superman, didn't seem to be made by people who understood what made Superman stories lovable, exciting or special.

Man of Steel? Just watching the way Zack Snyder handled Batman in the current movie proves what everyone knew when MOS was released - he attempted to graft Batman sensibilities onto Superman and the result in no way felt like or looked like the character of Superman that those of us who love Superman know. Was the acting bad? No. Did it look bad? No. Was it "Superman"? No.

And this current movie was more of the same.

Superman hasn't failed Hollywood. Hollywood has failed Superman.

Everybody loved Ben Affleck as Batman ,and loved Gal Gadot as Wonder Woman.

hm

First of all, I don't think it's just about Superman as an issue. I think it's about trying to cram six years of movies into three years of releases. Short cuts are taken. Things get missed.

But to your Superman point...

I don't think there's anything at all wrong with the character of Superman. I think that if at any point we walk into the movie theater again after the original Superman I and II and actually SEE an honest Superman movie on a screen? People will love it.

Brandon Routh was a perfectly good Superman trapped in a terrible movie that, while it seemed made by people who loved Superman, didn't seem to be made by people who understood what made Superman stories lovable, exciting or special.

Man of Steel? Just watching the way Zack Snyder handled Batman in the current movie proves what everyone knew when MOS was released - he attempted to graft Batman sensibilities onto Superman and the result in no way felt like or looked like the character of Superman that those of us who love Superman know. Was the acting bad? No. Did it look bad? No. Was it "Superman"? No.

And this current movie was more of the same.

Superman hasn't failed Hollywood. Hollywood has failed Superman.

:(

It`s sad that modern comic book writers and filmmakers always have to kill him to make him interesting now.

I think the problem with this movie is the Marvel has set up the expectations for main superhero movies with their approach

This doesn't follow it but goes to the beat of its own drum. It also relies on the audience to be familiar somewhat with the comics and because of that I believe most won't like the movie

I loved it. It's the best one since Iron Man and the Dark knight trilogy

The rest I've seen have be ok and entertaining

This one I'm excited about.

Probably could have reduced the movie by 10-20 minutes but I was fine with it

Wonder Woman was great

The warehouse scene was my favorite

Going back again this week

I think the problem with this movie is the Marvel has set up the expectations for main superhero movies with their approach

This doesn't follow it but goes to the beat of its own drum. It also relies on the audience to be familiar somewhat with the comics and because of that I believe most won't like the movie

I loved it. It's the best one since Iron Man and the Dark knight trilogy

The rest I've seen have be ok and entertaining

This one I'm excited about.

Probably could have reduced the movie by 10-20 minutes but I was fine with it

Wonder Woman was great

The warehouse scene was my favorite

Going back again this week

(thumbs u

I am actually more excited about the upcoming DC Universe movies than the upcoming Marvel movies now. I can`t believe I am saying this,but I like the darker more serious DC tone,than the Marvel goody two-shoes movies of late.

Let`s face it if the next Marvel movies are all going to be in the tone of the last Ant-Man and the Avengers Ultron movie I will lose interest fast in Marvel movies.

At first I thought it was O-K, the more I digest it from last night the more I like it.

Gal Gadot is just mesmerizingly beautiful, so anything she is in is a huge plus :cloud9::cloud9:

Was shocked when Luthor blew up all the people in the building where the Senator was speaking :o and they cut to Superman still standing there while the place and everything in it burned. Great scene.

Fight scene Batman saving Martha was so dang epic :headbang: Best movie fight scene I've seen in a while.

Loved the part where Superman took Doomsday up to orbit and after they get hit with the missle they showed Superman's lifeless decayed body. :headbang: That was awesome.

Shocked they actually killed Superman. I know all of us comic fans/readers know he returns, but I bet most of the audience left sobbing and thinking WTF.

All in all, I'm gonna watch it again in theaters. In 2 1/2 hours I don't think I blinked once.

****Did anyone else catch a possible nod/easter egg to Jason Todd Redhood in this? Haven't seen it mentioned in any of the YouTube videos I've watched. The part were Bruce is talking to Alfred saying something or other ...."How many heroes have died. How many heroes were good and have stayed that way." Again something to that effect.

Shocked they actually killed Superman. I know all of us comic fans/readers know he returns, but I bet most of the audience left sobbing and thinking WTF.

I think they already showed at the very end of the movie that Superman is not dead. The dirt rose from the casket. To me, that means he's alive.

Batman uses guns and kills people. No. Just... No...

Why not? He did it in the comics.

Why not? He killed people in the other movies...

Check this out from Batman Returns:

Good except for the prototypical arrogant, smirking, clever line spouting villain. It was hard to watch the Lex Luthor scenes.

I noticed that the theatre is probably 60-70% full when I saw the show last night. My son and I were around 30 mins before the doors opened as we hate scrapping for those last few seats. There were around 20 of us waiting in line, which is nothing compared to the number of people I noticed fell in line for AoU, SW, etc.

Im not sure if these poor reviews is a factor affecting whether a common movie goer will see this movie or not. If so, that would be very unfortunate.

I noticed that the theatre is probably 60-70% full when I saw the show last night. My son and I were around 30 mins before the doors opened as we hate scrapping for those last few seats. There were around 20 of us waiting in line, which is nothing compared to the number of people I noticed fell in line for AoU, SW, etc.

Im not sure if these poor reviews is a factor affecting whether a common movie goer will see this movie or not. If so, that would be very unfortunate.

+1

Same here! The theater was only about half full on opening weekend no less & I was also there 30+ mins in advance. I wanted to treat my dad to the film but he wasn't interested after reading the reviews, so I'm sure it has had an effect on others as well.

I enjoyed the film but there was still a lot of things that bothered me about it.

It actually seemed like Bruce had a dream sequence of Superman with an army from Apokolips after being brainwashed by Darkseid. Wouldn't surprise me if that's where the JLA movie is heading towards.

I personally have much higher hopes for Cap Civil War at this point.

Overall I enjoyed the movie because the main draw, the fight sequences, worked very well. However, this movie has lots of problems:

Lex Luthor is probably the biggest problem. As main villain, there was no real reason given towards his motivations. His surveillance of the meta-humans suggest he's very concerned about superpowered individuals but in the end he creates an uberpowerful being which it's not obvious he can control. Also, why go through the elaborate schemes to discredit Superman in public when you already have Batman pre-disposed to take out Superman - just push him along further to do just that and that way, you can discredit Batman as well. And having just gone through with all the behind the scenes manipulations, you just blurt out your scheme to the top reporter in Metropolis? WTF?? Maybe the future ubervillain drove Luthor but if so, that should have clearly been explained, not hinted at.

Setting up Wayne's hatred and fear of Superman was done fine. The same can't be said of Kent's/Superman's concern with Batman. He clearly knows Batman is working with Gotham's police via reference to the Bat-signal so why the concern? Furthermore, why try to do this sneakily via the newspaper when he can just go in and take care of the supposed problem? Very poorly done.

Did anyone not suspect the new wheelchair was a booby trap when Luthor first showed it? I get that the Senate security screenings would not detect the bomb (Luthortech and all), but to believe that Superman would just walk in to a high profile Senate hearing and not scan the room for concealed weapons is not credible.

Don't get me started on the Martha Martha "resolution".

Superman's "death" was very ho-hum, whatever. Throughout the long drawn out funeral sequences (I guess somewhere along the way Superman got cleared and public fear of him has dissipated enough for him to get a government figure funeral), you just can't but think, we know you're not permanently dead, just show up already. So really, what's the point of all that?

Honestly, if I were inclined to see it again, I'd probably just skip the first hour or so to get straight to the fight scenes. And Wonder Woman - I have to admit I'm looking forward to that movie after this.