• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Comic book heist!!!!

85 posts in this topic

I feel bad for the owner (unless he actually had these books insured for what I'm assuming are the exaggerated prices mentioned).

Hopefully the thieves don't open the "capsules" and they are caught.

Pretty slick move on the manager's part to mention on the news that they shouldn't be cracked or they would be worthless.

http://www.wsbtv.com/news/local/350000-worth-of-comic-books-stolen-from-shop/179965867

So comics are completely worthless until they get encapsulated then the value explodes tremendously. But only to comic store owners, no one else.

Sounds legit.

"Messer says each comic is inside a capsule, and they're only valuable to comic book store."

(shrug)

That is a horrible thing to go through, as was reading that article. What in the world?

Sounds like another bit of info added in hoping the thieves bring the unopened slabs to the nearest LCS

Some one should contact lone star

Tragic. I hope the shop has insurance.

Based on the numbers the shop owner is throwing around, I am SURE he had insurance.

I'm thinking along the same lines.

I agree. Something doesn't add up.

JLA 1-8 worth $250k? Uh I don't think so.

First 8 appearances would include B28-30, but it might also be the first eight Justice societies.

Any insurance claim that big will require documentation.i hope he has it.

A while back some guy was trying to sell his Ford Ranger for $250,000

Then it mysteriously disappeared :/

Then he tried to make a $250,000 claim against it, and the insurance company offered him a couple thousand dollars. So he went on and on about how custom it was (Said he spent $16,000 on the wheels, which were clearly $500 wheels in the picture) and they upped it to like ten grand. So he called the news so the entire world could ridicule him . I mean, the thing did have kandy paint and a lot of chrome, he probably had 25 grand wrapped up in it, but it was a Ford Ranger. He would have been incredibly lucky to get ten back from that.

http://www.pe.com/articles/truck-645719-farmers-evil.html#ssStory502783

About two years ago, a comic shop on Long island burned down and I made a joking reference to Jewish Lightning Two weeks ago, I got a PM on these boards from a Private Investigator about it.

I'm not in the habit of making public my PMs, but I don't think this counts.

The title of the PM was the name of the shop

Just got here

Hi Shadroch,

My name is Nino. I am a private investigator and authorized to conduct insurance investigations. I stumbled across something you posted in 2015 which may assist in my investigation of a file.

Could you call me please at your leisure?

Thanks for any assistance you could offer.

Nino

917-873-8291

A while back some guy was trying to sell his Ford Ranger for $250,000

Then it mysteriously disappeared :/

Then he tried to make a $250,000 claim against it, and the insurance company offered him a couple thousand dollars. So he went on and on about how custom it was (Said he spent $16,000 on the wheels, which were clearly $500 wheels in the picture) and they upped it to like ten grand. So he called the news so the entire world could ridicule him . I mean, the thing did have kandy paint and a lot of chrome, he probably had 25 grand wrapped up in it, but it was a Ford Ranger. He would have been incredibly lucky to get ten back from that.

http://www.pe.com/articles/truck-645719-farmers-evil.html#ssStory502783

They had it insured with the carrier for $145'000

They made a claim for the amount they had it insured for.