• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

How Do You Use the OS Guide?

I use the Overstreet Guide for the majority of my purchases  

138 members have voted

1. 1. I use the Overstreet Guide for the majority of my purchases

6 posts in this topic

I really enjoy the annual Overstreet Grading Guides, but have found that over the past couple of years, I rarely use it for determining how much to pay. I basically go by accumulated knowledge and base how much I will pay for a book based on age, genre and condition.

However, when I hit a new age or genre, or find a book in a familiar age or genre prices really out of whack, I find myself using it to get a fee for why it is priced so high.

As an aside, one thing I really like about the guide is the artist listingseither within the specific book listing or at the end of the title. Although they really SHOULD get a genuine handle on Horror, Supernatural and Weird. I mean - sheesh!

So - how do you judge how much to pay in light of the Overstreet Guide?

I know the areas I collect pretty well, but I still use the OS all the time. Lately I have been collecting BA horror and Bat books in 7.0-8.5. I use a simple formula, I take the OS guide value and divide by half. If the price is less than that I buy it. Everyone claims the OS prices are so out of whack for mid-grade stuff, which is true, but at least they are uniformly off. OS fixing their prices would really only save me the trouble of dividing by two. confused-smiley-013.gif

I copy Doug Sulipa's market report and turn it in to my philosophy teacher as my homework. I got an A !

Overstreet is really great I always find stuff I didn't notice before.

I wish they could do a coffee table special edition for comic book super freaks that combines the Photojournal and the OPG (OS)

Q: How Do You Use the OS Guide?

A: Bathroom reading.

Seriously, I use the guide as a reference as well as recent sales to get an idea of what a particular book is worth. The OSPG is also fun to read through and find series that you don't normally look at.