• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Black Panther #1 of new series sells 300,000 copies???

153 posts in this topic

It was fun, heroic, a little over the top, and reminded me of...a movie that was based on comics. Batman, Wonder Woman, Alfred, and Lois Lane were great. Lex Luthor was more Lex Joker but still cool. Superman is way, way, way too brooding of a character. People should reflect on Donner's Supes and bring that back to the big screen. My guess is that the people who wrote and directed this aren't Superman comic readers...at all. Doomsday looked pretty cool too. (thumbs u

I've seen it twice and I can't wait for the JLA movie. :shy:

Anyone actually read it yet?

.......it's not very good. :(

I read it, I don't think it's bad. I like what he had to say on the letter page, it was refreshing. The art was at times interesting, and at other times, woeful. The action scenes were incredibly static - perhaps there were limited panels to work with due to the amount of ground they wanted to cover and the exposition layered on relatively thickly.

My personal opinion... I don't think the story I see the beginnings of in this first issue has much chance of keeping a Marvel book selling where it needs to. Of course, if he's committed to staying and continuing on regardless, Marvel may keep it going no matter the numbers because of who he is, because Black Panther can and should be able to grow an audience, and because of the films, so time will tell.

It was fun, heroic, a little over the top, and reminded me of...a movie that was based on comics. Batman, Wonder Woman, Alfred, and Lois Lane were great. Lex Luthor was more Lex Joker but still cool. Superman is way, way, way too brooding of a character. People should reflect on Donner's Supes and bring that back to the big screen. My guess is that the people who wrote and directed this aren't Superman comic readers...at all. Doomsday looked pretty cool too. (thumbs u

I've seen it twice and I can't wait for the JLA movie. :shy:

I can see that. I wasn't a fan, but I kindly attribute it to editing. I think the germ of two or three decent movies were present, but nothing was explored enough for me and a lot of things just happened "because." So, it did have a bit of a World's Finest feel :)

Wonder Woman was great, though I found it funny whenever her theme music started up.

Anyone actually read it yet?

.......it's not very good. :(

batman v superman not very good?

or

odds of winning the presidency not very good?

m

lol Now that's funny.

It's not that it's bad, it's just not very good. Lackluster start considering the hype.

What Hype?

The only thing I heard was Marvel's pre sale number.

universally fans were agreeing that BP was a B/C level character at best.

BP #1 just sold out at Diamond.

Stopped by Midtown West after work yesterday and saw one of the longest lines I'd ever seen there. Panther Mania was definitely a part of it.

I have had TWO retailers call to try to buy extra's this am.

Sold a set (10) variants on Ebay for $189.99

This one is far from a dud.

Gamestop has a Black Panther Power Up Rewards variant, with cover at by Dale Keown, listed in their rewards catalog. Print run of 5000 copies.

How many points? 5,000 copies is a lot for a store variant. The Spider-Man / Deadpool did well, I suspect because it took a lot of points to get it. They still printed 3,000 of them.

Looks like 6,500 points.

Just saw the cover. It's definitely not close to Spidey / DP. Don't see the price holding.

Kinda like Iron Man before Robert Downey Jr. ...

I didn't add this to my pull list and didn't make it to the LCS yesterday. Hopefully I can pick up a copy somewhere. I'm going to go ahead and commit to it for a while, just based on Coates's involvement. Plus, the NPR piece piqued my interest.

Kinda like Iron Man before Robert Downey Jr. ...

I didn't add this to my pull list and didn't make it to the LCS yesterday. Hopefully I can pick up a copy somewhere. I'm going to go ahead and commit to it for a while, just based on Coates's involvement. Plus, the NPR piece piqued my interest.

given the 300K pre-order (and that other big comics only do 100K), and the fact that you appear to live in a major American city, I'd say the odds are fine that you'll find one.

Stopped by Midtown West after work yesterday and saw one of the longest lines I'd ever seen there. Panther Mania was definitely a part of it.

The content was a dud. And there definitely was hype for this, Larry (see: NPR, CBS, Entertainment Weekly, The Atlantic, and other news outlets that don't typically discuss new Marvel #1s).

It is selling on the hype though. I think once word gets out how... uninteresting it is, I'm not so sure people will be clamoring for a copy. Usually after the first issue, I'm either drawn in to read the second or not. This is definitely not a book that has me interested.

It is selling on the hype though. I think once word gets out how... uninteresting it is, I'm not so sure people will be clamoring for a copy. Usually after the first issue, I'm either drawn in to read the second or not. This is definitely not a book that has me interested.

For the most part, beautiful art by Stelfreeze, but the jury is still out on Coates. It was a typical #1 issue, lots of set-up, very little pay-off.

The content was a dud. And there definitely was hype for this, Larry (see: NPR, CBS, Entertainment Weekly, The Atlantic, and other news outlets that don't typically discuss new Marvel #1s).

lol...

That's promotion.

Not "hype"

Anyway....

I don't particularly like the character or book.

Just pointing out from my cash register that it's selling fantastic.

Sorry that I did now.

( NO way did it sell 300,000 to traditional outlets, most will be out on Monday )

( NO way did it sell 300,000 to traditional outlets, most will be out on Monday )

Yeah, the shops I hit certainly weren't responsible for the reported 300K sales number.

lol...

That's promotion.

Not "hype"

Anyway....

I don't particularly like the character or book.

Just pointing out from my cash register that it's selling fantastic.

Sorry that I did now.

:facepalm:

I bought a copy of the cheapest 1:10 variant for a co-worker blnerdette. Apparently she was planning on eventually making a comic shop run to get it herself. So there's one of the 300,000 right there.

I haven't made it to my lcs yet anyone witness these flying off the walls or covering them?

I was at a Midtown comics location. The two woman in front of me were trying to hunt down the Hip Hop variant. I think they each bought a regular cover. But they were comic fans, not necessarily a Coates fan, as they had been knee deep in the back issue bins before that.

But there were only about 6 customers in the place....