• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Question about grading costs-sorry if this is the wrong place for it

33 posts in this topic

I have bought several expensive comics over the past year and have thought about having them graded. What would the cost be and what is the best way to have something graded? Wizard world, 3rd party through a comic store, or join the society and submit them myself.

My comics are:

Uncanny X-men 1 (fair condition, probably worth $100)

Uncanny X-men 2-66 various conditions around vg

Hulk 181

Action Comics 252

Giant size x-men 1

Uncanny X-men 94

Uncanny X-men 95-150 various conditions around vg

and some other random books

Also, signed books can not be graded because that is considered cover damage, right?

If they are no better than VG it may not be worth it slab them.

confused-smiley-013.gif

X-men 2 -14 Are any of them a full Fine?

Hulk 181; Maybe? Is it VGF at least?

GS X-men 1, X-men 94; Same as above (Hulk 181).

X-men 95-up; Not unless they have a shot a VF at least.

Signed books can be graded but they won't get a blue label.

Wrong - How many times do we have to cover this???

devil.gif

If they're signed on the cover (which is what it sounds like) they'll get a green ("Qualified") label. If signed on the interior, they'll get a blue label with a notation of the writing and an indication of whose name is written there.

devil.gif

If they're signed on the cover (which is what it sounds like) they'll get a green ("Qualified") label. If signed on the interior, they'll get a blue label with a notation of the writing and an indication of whose name is written there.

"It only gets a qualified grade for writing if the writing purports to be a creator signature. This looks more like the name of a prior owner. It won't get a green label." grin.gif

devil.gif

"It only gets a qualified grade for writing if the writing purports to be a creator signature. This looks more like the name of a prior owner. It won't get a green label." grin.gif

When he said "signed," I assumed he meant "by one of the creators." makepoint.gif

devil.gif

When he said "signed," I assumed he meant "by one of the creators." makepoint.gif

"CGC uses qualified grades all the way down to 3.0 for books missing MVS stamps and the like. It's not just for high grade books. Although I don't know for sure, I would presume that CGC would also use a qualified label for a very low grade book that had a creator signature on it, if it wasn't signed per the Signature Series requirement that a CGC representative be present and immediately take possession of the book.

The OGG and OPG do not speak in terms of qualified grades, except for the essay Steve Borock wrote about CGC (and this essay is not considered part of the Overstreet grading standards - it is just an essay about CGC certification).

The qualified grade is a CGC convention and is one way in which CGC devitates from Overstreet's grading standards. Overstreet says nothing about qualified labels because it isn't part of their standards. You won't find mention of qualified grades anywhere in the OGG except in Steve's essay.

The green qualified label is not used for owner handwriting or signatures. It is used for creator signatures. The book in question here does not have a creator signature, so the green label will not come into play."

I think that may be an arbitrary judgment call based on the relative illegibility of most signatures 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Darn it, you people!

Tell the man which VG silver age/bronze age comics should be graded and not turn his poor thread into a spitting contest about label colors.

sumo.gif

yay.gif

I have bought several expensive comics over the past year and have thought about having them graded. What would the cost be and what is the best way to have something graded? Wizard world, 3rd party through a comic store, or join the society and submit them myself.

Only grade the following books:

Hulk 181

Giant size x-men 1

Uncanny X-men 94

And only if they are 6.0 or better sumo.gif

Aces - howzzat? 27_laughing.gif

Action Comics #252 is the first apperance of Supergirl. This is a highly sought after item. Every bit as much as X-men or Hulk. Definatley get it graded if VG - or better.

i would personally get them all graded, especially ones falling apart, just for preservation if nothing else, but if you don't intend to sell them storing them at 50% humidity wth archival material should do :P

i would personally get them all graded, especially ones falling apart, just for preservation if nothing else, but if you don't intend to sell them storing them at 50% humidity wth archival material should do :P

I would never slab a book just for the sake of preservation. Ever.