• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Question about grading costs-sorry if this is the wrong place for it

33 posts in this topic

that is your opinion and i have mine, i don't sell from my private collection, so there is no point in me owning a slabbed book, if i am going to keep it.

Then it sounds like you agree with me. confused.gif If not for purposes of selling a book, why slab just for preservation?

action 252 is attached to that last message, by the way. 762692-a252.JPG

That definitely a 4.5 if not a 5.0.

If the insides are all there I think it would be worth an econo sub.

I think my action 252 is in better shape than the one on ebay right now that they are calling a 6.0

I wouldn't rule out a fine (6.0) but most here tend to grade conservitively unless the scan is real nice.

gossip.gif

i would personally get them all graded, especially ones falling apart, just for preservation if nothing else, but if you don't intend to sell them storing them at 50% humidity wth archival material should do :P

I would never slab a book just for the sake of preservation. Ever.

I agree 100%. It just doesn't make any sense. I recieved this week an order of 500 Gerber Mylite 2's, 500 Gerber Fullbacks, 5 Gerber acid free/buffered boxes, and 500 sheets of Microchamber paper. (Ordered from Comic Supply and everthing came through quickly, BTW)

ANYWAY, packing my BA Horror books in the above, and also my pre-code horror in the same except for regular Mylars insetad of Mylite 2s? I feel quite comfortable with my books stored in these materials and especially with the acid-free/bufferd boxes.

I don't see how a slab would offer any advantage over this setup.

::edit to add:: The SA/GA boxes won;t fit the full GA mylars. Don't want any to be misinformed!

i would personally get them all graded, especially ones falling apart, just for preservation if nothing else, but if you don't intend to sell them storing them at 50% humidity wth archival material should do :P

I would never slab a book just for the sake of preservation. Ever.

I agree 100%. It just doesn't make any sense. I recieved this week an order of 500 Gerber Mylite 2's, 500 Gerber Fullbacks, 5 Gerber acid free/buffered boxes, and 500 sheets of Microchamber paper. (Ordered from Comic Supply and everthing came through quickly, BTW)

ANYWAY, packing my BA Horror books in the above, and also my pre-code horror in the same except for regular Mylars insetad of Mylite 2s? I feel quite comfortable with my books stored in these materials and especially with the acid-free/bufferd boxes.

I don't see how a slab would offer any advantage over this setup.

::edit to add:: The SA/GA boxes won;t fit the full GA mylars. Don't want any to be misinformed!

OK, so maybe I'll stay away from having stuff graded just to keep. What are fullbacks as compared to halfbacks? It it just a matter of thickness? No jokes there, please. Also, what do you do with the microchamber paper? Is this grouping of stuff what you would recommend for long term keeping of pensive books? I have been reading comics for years, but have recently invested in some comics and am just now learning how to preserve them.

Thanks for your help.

OK, so maybe I'll stay away from having stuff graded just to keep. What are fullbacks as compared to halfbacks? It it just a matter of thickness? No jokes there, please.

Yes, same material, same buffered treatment, twice as thick 48 mil vs. 24 mil

Also, what do you do with the microchamber paper?

You can roll up a great big doobie with it 27_laughing.gifinsane.gif

gossip.gif hey, you didn't say anything about jokes here . . . gossip.gif

the paper you stick between the pages and the cover, it prevents acid leakage, someone hear said the put it in between every page of their high end books

Putting it between every page would be ill-advised, as it would cause too much stress on the staples screwy.gif