• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What grade would you give?

14 posts in this topic

Hello everyone,

I don't have a scan, so I'll describe the book in question:

The book would grade a solid VF+ 8.5 if not for two defects.

There is a very clean 3/8" vertical tear, looks like a razor cut, which is located at the top, middle of the front cover (the tear starts at the top & goes straight down 3/8" of an inch. It is in the middle of the top of the cover).

There is a staple-length tear at the top staple. When the cover is opened, the tear is visible. The back cover is still firmly attached within the staple, the tear does leave a minuet tear to the front cover however. It looks to be the result of a poor pressing job which has damaged the book where the staple meets the front cover.

What grade would you give the book? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Thanks in advance! thumbsup2.gif

popcorn.gif

Hello everyone,

There is a very clean 3/8" vertical tear, looks like a razor cut, which is located at the top, middle of the front cover (the tear starts at the top & goes straight down 3/8" of an inch. It is in the middle of the top of the cover).

There is a staple-length tear at the top staple. When the cover is opened, the tear is visible. The back cover is still firmly attached within the staple, the tear does leave a minuet tear to the front cover however. It looks to be the result of a poor pressing job which has damaged the book where the staple meets the front cover.

popcorn.gif

What book is it? If it's a late silver age book, the staple tear is probably production related -- a common defect. No downgrade or maybe a slight downgrade at that level if the cover isn't detached at the staple.

Is the razor cut a production defect? If so, you're looking still at about a VF/VF+.

Hello everyone,

popcorn.gif

What book is it? If it's a late silver age book, the staple tear is probably production related -- a common defect. No downgrade or maybe a slight downgrade at that level if the cover isn't detached at the staple.

Is the razor cut a production defect? If so, you're looking still at about a VF/VF+.

It's a Fantastic Four # 1. It was graded by CGC as restored (P) cover cleaned & pressed. It's been liberated from captivity. The tear was visible in the slab, but is so clean it was almost invisible. The staple is still attached be the back cover, not a staple-pop. popcorn.gif

That's a good question, but the person who popped the book out of the slab says the staple tear was not there when they inspected the book, so the tear appeared later (that's why I suggest damage due to poor pressing).

That's a good question, but the person who popped the book out of the slab says the staple tear was not there when they inspected the book, so the tear appeared later (that's why I suggest damage due to poor pressing).

I thought the razor cut was at the top edge of the comic in the middle? You are confusing me.

Also, how can the front cover be attached to the staple but not the back? There's only one cover.

I thought the razor cut was at the top edge of the comic in the middle? You are confusing me.

Also, how can the front cover be attached to the staple but not the back? There's only one cover.

I think he is talking about something like this...

forbid3a.jpg" alt="Image hosted by Photobucket.com

The razor cut is att the top, middle of the front cover (just above the "F" in "Fantastic" and goes down 3/8".

The cover is attached to the staple from the back cover, when you open the front cover the staple lenght tear is visible just above the staple; the back cover portion is under the staple. It's like if I were to open the front cover and detach the front cover just over the top of the staple, leaving the cover still attached from the back. Does that help? confused-smiley-013.gif

That is a very close example, just that the actual tear is a little larger, taking up the lenght of the inside of the staple, and is more like a tear than a cut. Thanks for the example. thumbsup2.gif

That is a very close example, just that the actual tear is a little larger, taking up the lenght of the inside of the staple, and is more like a tear than a cut. Thanks for the example. thumbsup2.gif

I think I know exactly what you're talking about. It's a production defect that probably won't get downgraded at that level as long as the cover is still attached.

I think I know exactly what you're talking about. It's a production defect that probably won't get downgraded at that level as long as the cover is still attached.

But the person who popped it out of the slab said it wasn't upon first inspection. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif I would think a production flaw would be there. confused-smiley-013.gifpopcorn.gif

The razor tear; maybe. The partial staple-pop; doubtful. popcorn.gif

Not sure about the grade but I take it the book has a smell or residue left over from the cleaning process? Could it be removed/masked and possibly resubbed with a chance at a blue label? Also, how noticable is the pressing? Could it be re-pressed so that any of the tell tale signs from the existing press job would be hard to detect?(apparently its not restoration screwy.gif).

Not sure about the grade but I take it the book has a smell or residue left over from the cleaning process? Could it be removed/masked and possibly resubbed with a chance at a blue label? Also, how noticable is the pressing? Could it be re-pressed so that any of the tell tale signs from the existing press job would be hard to detect?(apparently its not restoration screwy.gif).

Chemical smell is evident. Not looking for a re-submit. Just looking to see what the actual grade would be, considering tear and staple question. Is pressing possible cause of damage to staple area? confused-smiley-013.gif

What would it grade? popcorn.gif