• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Dry cleaning -- removing grease pencil

52 posts in this topic

It has been my understanding that dry eraser is not restoration So I thought I'd try a test run on removing grease pencil from a cover.

Here is a before image of the P in the cloud.

wow_zps4yv03mzo.png

Not sure what you used to erase that but I would have gone with a Mars plastic eraser. looks like you got a bit aggressive when you got close to the green. You should be able to get the white back to white, otherwise what was the point?

I would want it either there or cleanly removed. Good luck

James G

I would want it either there or cleanly removed.

James G

+1 . The faded look of the 'P' as it stands now is not appealing. It is obvious there was a failed attempt to remove. As James stated, it's all or nothing. Remove it cleanly or leave it alone.

I agree with you -- remove the under layer.

Anyone have tips on getting completely removed?

Proper/thorough dry cleaning of a GA book like the one you posted, by someone who knows how to do so, is a solid 60-90 minute job.There is much more to dry cleaning a book than you realize.

Do not use dry cleaning pads, for the most part, they are useless and even if you know what you're doing (experienced, no offense)....indiscriminately running a pad over a cover will cause color loss.

No one can teach you how to dry clean (or how to properly humidify & press books, for that matter).

It is a learning process that requires delicate hands, an understanding (and respect) of paper integrity and a ridiculous amount of patience.You will not develop those skills by having someone instruct you.The skills has to be learned and developed, firsthand.

"The doer alone learneth", is a qoute that sums this up, nicely ;)

You would have gotten a higher grade if you just left the book alone. Now you have color loss and will get dinged for that.

Yup.

The OP needs to learn how to properly dry clean books.A GA book like this is not something he should be using to 'experiment" on, wether he intends to have the book graded or not.