• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Authenticating Signatures

8 posts in this topic

How easy do you reckon it is to authenticate signatures? I have two copies of Spiderman #1 Legend Of Arachknight (One Green Cover, one silver and black) both signed by McFarlane and i really want to get them CGC'd but i know if i do it will just come back qualified stating that someone has written on the front cover. I also have two Dark Minds comics (issues 1 varient covers) signed.

I wonder if CGC will ever hire people in to authenticate signature so that i know when i send them off they will come back with a nice yellow label.

I wonder if CGC will ever hire people in to authenticate signature so that i know when i send them off they will come back with a nice yellow label.

gossip.gif

The ONLY way you get a yellow label for your signed books is if a CGC rep directly observed the actual signing taking place.

gossip.gif

The ONLY way you get a yellow label for your signed books is if a CGC rep directly observed the actual signing taking place.

Yeah i read that on the website smile.gif It's a pity they don't have authenticators because they wernt there when McFarlane signed my two copies *sniff* sumo.gif

How easy do you reckon it is to authenticate signatures? I have two copies of Spiderman #1 Legend Of Arachknight (One Green Cover, one silver and black) both signed by McFarlane and i really want to get them CGC'd but i know if i do it will just come back qualified stating that someone has written on the front cover. I also have two Dark Minds comics (issues 1 varient covers) signed.

It'll never happen.

It'll never happen.

Why not? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

It'll never happen.

DO NOT DARE TO QUESTION THE GREAT AND POWERFUL OZ ! ! ! tongue.gif

It'll never happen.

Because it is fraught with peril -- low-reward, and high risk of making a mistake. In order to authenticate a signature, you need a forensic document examiner (they charge hundreds of dollars usually to authenticate ONE signature) who would need to run invasive tests on the document in order to test the signature and even then, all you'd get is an opinion, not a guarantee of authenticity. Anyone who claims to authenticate a signature (that they didn't witness being placed on the item) for a couple of dollars is a scam artist.

Either Steve or Paul Litch told me at WonderCon that they think authentication is a bad idea when done any way other than the current Signature Series setup and that they already snubbed "Hit List," who approached CGC offering to partner with them for authentication purposes.