• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Are comics addictive?

75 posts in this topic

For me, I'd have to say no. My buying comic activity has greatly diminished over the last couple of years ever since I completed my Adams Bats and Smith Conan collection. I would say that "collecting" in general can be addicting, especially if you're a completionist, but that applies to a lot of things besides comics for me.

without focus, principles such as never pay more than x.xx for a particular book and be patient, and don't go beyond your means and know your limits, you can easily get caught up in emotions which can lead to addiction if you let it.

Coming from previous substance abuse work as an outpatient addiction, if its true addiction it likely is impacting aspects of your life that go beyond impacting yourself such a financially, relationships, legally, etc.

Could comics be addicting, sure. I suspect many here though does not fit the mold for it to be an addiction.

Obsession maybe but probably not addiction.

I obsess on everything I love- women,comics, physical fitness, work -you name it. Some would call it an addictive personality, I personally think of it as zest for life! Thank God i have a strong moral code so I don't believe in hurting other people to attain my goals!

In other words I probably not the best person to ask this question!

I thought I was handling it okay (limiting myself on slabs), but then I just found out about the competitive registry points. So now...I MUST GET TO THE NEXT LEVEL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I used to be happy with graded 7.5's but wait....an 8.5 is worth between 4 abd 100 times as many registry points?!?!? GAHHHH!!!!!!!!

9e9.gif

-Terry

without focus, principles such as never pay more than x.xx for a particular book and be patient, and don't go beyond your means and know your limits, you can easily get caught up in emotions which can lead to addiction if you let it.

Coming from previous substance abuse work as an outpatient addiction, if its true addiction it likely is impacting aspects of your life that go beyond impacting yourself such a financially, relationships, legally, etc.

Could comics be addicting, sure. I suspect many here though does not fit the mold for it to be an addiction.

Obsession maybe but probably not addiction.

Addiction, obsession, or whatever you call your affliction--the results are the same.

Are you addicted?

Is addiction bad?

If so, what are you doing about it?

Not really... unless you count by reading comic books daily?

Not sure how bad my addiction is. When do you draw line if there is 10 or 20 comic boxes in a room?

Um. Keep on feeding it? (:

I met a guy recently, in his mid 40's who lives in his apartment alone. He's a mechanic and right after work, he says he goes home to his comics. No girlfriend, no huge savings (other than his comics), and not many friends.

I can't figure out if he prefers comics over... people or if his obsessive hobby keeps him from having a life outside of comics. I guess as long as he's happy that's all that matters but I can't help thinking he could be happier.

I met a guy recently, in his mid 40's who lives in his apartment alone. He's a mechanic and right after work, he says he goes home to his comics. No girlfriend, no huge savings (other than his comics), and not many friends.

I can't figure out if he prefers comics over... people or if his obsessive hobby keeps him from having a life outside of comics. I guess as long as he's happy that's all that matters but I can't help thinking he could be happier.

People suck, I have no patience for them. I'm 36, and after my job in customer service, I come home to a wonderfully quiet house as well :P