• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Modern Ducks?

13 posts in this topic

I may be in a minority here in the modern thread, but I"m a huge fan of Barks, Rosa, Scarpa, etc. and duck stories in general. I was wondering if anyone has been reading the new IDW newsstands and if they are any good. Any opinions would be appreciated!

I love the ducks. I have checked the new IDW titles and they are very well done. I don't personally buy them, because they are reprints of Italian stories (most of the times) and I am originally from Italy, so I get those originals.

Be sure to pick Donald Duck #5 and #6 – first apperance of Paperinik (the Duck Avenger) in english language. Story is split in two parts as italian stories were originally pretty long. (thumbs u

Also, make sure to check Mickey Mouse #8 and #9 as well, which presents "The Chirikawa Necklace", an amazing Scarpa classic story for the first time in english.

I'm a big Barks and Rosa fan and I like the new stories being printed now (well new to me anyways).

I'm glad they are finally putting some of those stories on the American market. In visiting foreign Duck forums over the years and hearing how good the stories were/are, it is nice to finally be able to read them.

Glad to hear so! The Duck Avenger is such a great character, and it would need a bit more of background to be appreciated in full. I have read most of the stories when they came out (a bit later, as I am from 1969) but nonetheless Guido Martina (the writer) was a landmark figure; one of our best Disney writers. :)

For all the americans who would love to know more about the italian classics: feel free to ask me here (or we could open a topic in Silver Age or Bronze Age, as – de facto – the best italian stories range from the very early 1950s to the late 1980s – even if the early ones date to the mid-1930s).

The Mickey Mouse one "The Chirikawa Necklace" is an absolute (late 1950s) Atomic Age classic (it features an early appearance of Atomo Bip-Bip, Mickey’s friend which is an enlarged atom which gains conscience, already presented by BOOM in the USA in his first story "The Delta Dimension", which I still miss in English).

But the true "classic", and very unusual at that, is the landmark "The Emperor of Calidornia", – as far as I knos still unpublished in English – a tale which has its roots in the past, in the Old West, and shows Mickey Mouse's character in full (including a "lesson" for his weaknesses) – great stuff!