• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Hulk #1 cgc 9.0 $50K...sold!

37 posts in this topic

Does anyone have any clue as to who is buying these big-priced SA books?

You don't have to name names, unless the buyer is willing, but are they long-time collectors, purely investors, other dealers, manipulated sales/trades on paper only, in their 30s, their 50s, etc?

It is just simply stunning that these SA books are jumping up so exponentially when tomororw may see a better copy emerge given the likelihood of copies in existence in private collections (and that is not even taking into account the fact that certain sellers will not hesitate to press a lower grade copy into a 9.0 + simply for resale purposes).

893whatthe.gif

You don't have to name names, unless the buyer is willing, but are they long-time collectors, purely investors, other dealers, manipulated sales/trades on paper only, in their 30s, their 50s, etc?

It is just simply stunning that these SA books are jumping up so exponentially when tomororw may see a better copy emerge given the likelihood of copies in existence in private collections (and that is not even taking into account the fact that certain sellers will not hesitate to press a lower grade copy into a 9.0 + simply for resale purposes).

I some what beg to differ on seeing other copies from private collection tomorrow. Over the next five years, I could see a half a dozen more becoming certified (in 9.0 or higher), but it seems that many of the big time SA collectors already have had their books CGC'd (which is not the case with Golden Age).

As a note on GA, all you have to do is look at the Edgar Church Census numbers, and you will realize that almost NONE of the Timely's have been cerrtified. And as we know, many long time GA collectors have had almost none of their collection certified, so to me I would be a little bit more concerned paying top dollar for GA books that show only a few HG copies of any issue. Those census numbers could easily double in the next few years if only four or five collectors decide it's time to sell.

I some what beg to differ on seeing other copies from private collection tomorrow. Over the next five years, I could see a half a dozen more becoming certified (in 9.0 or higher), but it seems that many of the big time SA collectors already have had their books CGC'd (which is not the case with Golden Age).

As a note on GA, all you have to do is look at the Edgar Church Census numbers, and you will realize that almost NONE of the Timely's have been cerrtified. And as we know, many long time GA collectors have had almost none of their collection certified, so to me I would be a little bit more concerned paying top dollar for GA books that show only a few HG copies of any issue. Those census numbers could easily double in the next few years if only four or five collectors decide it's time to sell.

I'm not sure I would use Timely to prove your point. One collector/dealer owns just about all the super-hero issues. That said, many GA collectors haven't bothered with the expense/trouble of having their collections graded.

Im with Sfilosa on the chances of a lot of these early SA keybooks showing up in 9.0 or better. Especially Marvel keys. Id guess that 3/4 of the super HG copies still in collections just wont grade out as high as their owners memories expect them to. DCs on the other hand have come out more slowly so far, but they are in general 2-3 years earlier and therefore much tougher to expect in 9.2 and above.

As for GA, I also agree that many of the Pedigreee copies and other nice copies aer still sitting in snugs as their owners see no need to slab them.

and, as for who is buying these 50K comics? well-heeled collectors who still see some upside even at these prices.

This has been discussed on other threads, and I was not looking to re-create an old discussion. My primary question relates specifically to the current purchases, not the trend.

That being said, I am definitely of the opinion - and I believe this was the general consensus on the other threads - that the likelihood of seeing additional HG SA books is far more likely than GA books. For one thing, using your example, we know what Church books exist. Indeed, we know the inventory lists of most of the pedigrees, and it is easy to confirm whether or not those copies have been CGC'd.

On the other hand, there are definitely original owner collections still out there for early SA books and we don't know about them. That could be true for GA books as well, but it is not as likely.

Was kind of stunned by this price for a Hulk 1 as old crusty Bob sold one - maybe this very copy- a couple years ago under $30,000 . Hulk 1 is very difficult but the prices are definitely getting scary! I have the pac cst 1 which graded as 8.0 and noticed the White Mtn #1 is also an 8.0 - I think the highest pedigree I have seen is the Northland that was 9.2 if I remember right. But still, $50 grand can go a long way - as in hummer, bmer, decent benz etc. My bet is the buyer is European - more big dollar buyers and sellers from the Uk on ebay than ever - and it would be a good deal if you were paying in euros or pounds. As for more pedigree silver or very high grade silver showing up, I think they are out there as I have run across some myself. I have been bored with cgc books and have been buying issues to re-read unslabbed and have been aiming at vf or better if the deal looks good. There was this seller from Melbourne Fl. selling almost complete runs of X-men from about 10 up, Avengers from like 17 up, FF from 20 up etc all described as near perfect. The guy didn,t have great feedback but didn't usually sell comics - antiques dealer. So I bid weakly on the first auctions and won a few. Man was I sorry I had not bid much more aggresively! These books seemed unread! They had that tight, slick, bright cover. I ended up with about 20 books and then spoke with the guy about the books as i thought they were his collection. However, he is an antique dealer and the books came from an estate he purchased from Chicago. He put them up to get rid of them - fairly crappy scans and no reserves! This could have been a great pedigree - they looked as nice as the Boston and cleveland books that I saw many of prior to being slabbed. A ot of people know nothing about comics values let alone pedigrees - and there were a lot of people collecting Marvel in the 60s . So what are there, about 15 known pedigrees for high grade Marvel silver? I would say the odds of there being at least a few more are very, very good.

I don't disagree with the possiblity of lots more high grade copies of books from mid 60's on.

But as you pointed out with the Hulk #1, the Pacific Coast, White Mountain, Northland and I know the Bethlehem has already been graded. And as we saw with Burntboy's FF #1, DD #1 and JIM #83, it's tough to get 9.0's from original collections, let alone a book that has changed hands several times. Remember that in almost all cases, pedigree books were never read, and appear to have never been moved until sold.

is there a way to start your own pedigree, say you find a fairly large collection, and want to make it a pedigree, what would one need to do for that?

893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Write your name on all the covers in the exact same place.... confused-smiley-013.gif

poke2.gif

is there a way to start your own pedigree, say you find a fairly large collection, and want to make it a pedigree, what would one need to do for that?

Pedigrees come from one source (either an original owner or warehouse find).

Collections are just an accumulation of books bought from various sources. While a few have their names on the CGC label (i.e. Dallas Stephes, Nic Cage, etc.) they are not labeled in the same place as the pedigree designation, nor do they really command any premium in the marketplace.

So to answer your question, YOU CAN'T START your own pedigree.

Not unless you're buying an original owner collection, with proof of provenance. And even then, it's very difficult to get the designation from CGC.

was just wondering, because i keep all the titles i have bought from the lcs the last 15 years seperated from ones i buy online or at cons, so upon my death it would still be possible :P