• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

People who sell off big books to finance a grail. Happy you did it?

40 posts in this topic

A lot of you guys on the boards here sell sometimes major keys, maybe books that'd be someone else's grail, to purchase an expensive book.

I'm just curious about some such deals. I've purchased big books but rarely traded or sold other books to get it.

Were you happy with the end result? Would love some thoughts before I consider doing myself, thanks

I would say Yes,

Although the order might be different. Meaning for me, that I use the time payment plan with ComicConnect, or HA, to buy a grail, than within the 3 or 6 months, sell off other pieces, to "finance" the larger purchase.

One time I sold off books, on a hunch, that a whale was coming to market, and after selling smaller pieces waited, and the book never came market, in that instance I regretted selling them, as the owner now wants 2X my sale price from couple years past.

Overall my answer is still Yes, if it means upgrading the book, or grade.

B

Probably small potatoes compared to guys who collect the nosebleed books, but I did something along those lines. Sold off about 3000 books here and elsewhere to finance my collection, which is currently somewhere between 50-75 books. Allowed me to build pretty solid 1-10 4.0-6.0 runs of every early Marvel title, including ASM1, FF1, TTA35, ST110.

Haven't looked back since I did it. It's like 2 short magazine boxes of slabs. Piece of cake to move around, and take up lots less space.

Just my opinion...

I read someplace year's ago how boys collect comics and men invest in them. If you were dating someone and they showed you boxes of comics, you were dating a boy, but if they had a short box that included Spiderman 1, you were dating a a man.

I read someplace year's ago how boys collect comics and men invest in them. If you were dating someone and they showed you boxes of comics, you were dating a boy, but if they had a short box that included Spiderman 1, you were dating a a man.

This sounds like something a dateless person would say.

:facepalm:

Probably small potatoes compared to guys who collect the nosebleed books, but I did something along those lines. Sold off about 3000 books here and elsewhere to finance my collection, which is currently somewhere between 50-75 books. Allowed me to build pretty solid 1-10 4.0-6.0 runs of every early Marvel title, including ASM1, FF1, TTA35, ST110.

Haven't looked back since I did it. It's like 2 short magazine boxes of slabs. Piece of cake to move around, and take up lots less space.

Just my opinion...

Love this idea....

I have 2 young kids (9 and 15)...my goal is to teach them that comics are more fun than iPads. Really don't want to leave them 3000 random books. It'd be overwhelming.

Decided this year to sell and buy 2 major keys (relative term) and hang on to a few solid high grade books. But I'm afraid giving them a 15 or 20,000.00 book each may be worse .

Limits the buyers and using a secure venue will probably cost them.. not to mention capital gains (assuming they don't get taken to the cleaners buy some low baller).

Maybe buying 30 lower grade solid books is the way: always a market ..easy to sell...not going to draw attention with sale price...more fun..easy to manage logistically. Everyone's motivation is different, but for me, this sounds like a great plan.

Love this idea....

I have 2 young kids (9 and 15)...my goal is to teach them that comics are more fun than iPads. Really don't want to leave them 3000 random books. It'd be overwhelming.

Decided this year to sell and buy 2 major keys (relative term) and hang on to a few solid high grade books. But I'm afraid giving them a 15 or 20,000.00 book each may be worse .

Limits the buyers and using a secure venue will probably cost them.. not to mention capital gains (assuming they don't get taken to the cleaners buy some low baller).

Maybe buying 30 lower grade solid books is the way: always a market ..easy to sell...not going to draw attention with sale price...more fun..easy to manage logistically. Everyone's motivation is different, but for me, this sounds like a great plan.

I don't see how receiving a handful of slabbed books would be any fun at all for two young kids. Give them 3000 raw books flip through and read and you've got a chance of getting them into the hobby.

Just my opinion...

Love this idea....

I would suggest buying what you love.

Your kids will love the books you loved because of you.

They don't have to collect comics to love the books you cherished.

No matter what I do with my collection, it is never finished... I have consolidated to larger keys and then eventually my collection grows until I do it again.

So yeah, I am happy, but I also am continuously updating my collection.

One thing to keep I mind is your risk profile. If any of it is money you "cannot afford to lose" I would think twice about keeping any of it in comics other than the most absolute "blue chip books" and even that comes with risk.

Love this idea....

I don't see how receiving a handful of slabbed books would be any fun at all for two young kids. Give them 3000 raw books flip through and read and you've got a chance of getting them into the hobby.

Yes super..you're right ..if I gave it to them now. But I don't plan on dropping dead anytime soon. I figure in about 15/20 years they may get them. I didn't think they'd want 3000 books starting a family and career and possibly moving around and if in the next 5 years they decide they love reading them and want a ton of books I figure it'd be easier to grab 500 readers for them instead of trying to grab keys at twice the price of today.

I was just thinking of a way to give them something that was such a big part of my life since childhood that they wouldn't feel burdened by, but still had some value . Also, they could build on 20 or 30 solid books in their own way.

People should only have 1 grail book. It's the holy grail - there can't be 10 of them. So although I've never done it myself I'd say it would be easy to sell a bunch of books you like for the 1 book you will love.

Just my opinion...

Love this idea....

I would suggest buying what you love.

Your kids will love the books you loved because of you.

They don't have to collect comics to love the books you cherished.

This is what I have now...books I grew u with, great covers, artist sigs I love....and I would love to think they would cherish them for that simple fact. But I think the sentimental value may get lost keeping 5/6 long boxes each stored in the basement. 10 slabs each with a reader copy would be ideal, but they'd have to be my favorite books or it defeats leaving them what I love.

thankfully I grew uo reading in the mid 70's so I love some great stuff to choose from :)

People should only have 1 grail book. It's the holy grail - there can't be 10 of them. So although I've never done it myself I'd say it would be easy to sell a bunch of books you like for the 1 book you will love.
Exactly, although I would say the nature of this hobby allows for "the prize" to change as interests do.

Yes, I'm happy with the decision. My collection now fits in 3 magazine boxes of good solid books and an AF15!

I would do it again in a heart beat!

Correct. My grail is the Allentown Tec 27. Wish me luck! Maybe I will get it before I die.