• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What's unacceptable for brand new comics?

35 posts in this topic

If there's already a thread for this type of question, let me know, but I'm curious what people accept and don't accept when it comes to the condition of new modern comics, specifically mail order.

Is it luck of the draw when it comes to corner dings and other very minor defects? Or is it ok to expect immaculate condition considering packaging is pretty important in these situations?

I've been out of the game for a long while so any opinions would be appreciated.

My thoughts too. Picked up one of the Black Panther variants (Sook) and there's corner ding to the top left and the spine looks damaged (it's like someone's shaved down it, if that makes sense - no spine ticks though so maybe it's just a bad copy).

NM or 9.4 for me is fine though at least a 9.6 is my preference. The only thing I don't like on a comic are spine tics for looks and water damage or any change from the original texture/feel. I've been amazed by the difference in prices between a 9.4, 9.6, and especially a 9.8 but then again, I started collecting in the early 1970's when this seemed to be much less of a concern.

It depends if you're buying moderns through the mail to read or collect/resale. When I buy books online to keep my current run going, I don't expect 9.8s. I've only sent one order back to Midtown and that was only because my mail-lady bent the package in half and stuffed it into the mailbox. Other than that, a spine tick for a book I read doesn't bother me.

If it's something I buy to collect (like a variant, etc.) or to hopefully sell or get graded, I have higher expectations.

9.0 and above. Some people here have some unrealistic expectations with wanting every book to be 9.8. I't just doesn't arrive at stores 9.8. You WILL have to press some books to get 9.8's. 9.0-9.6 aren't dirty numbers, and the people who want to profit off of 9.8's really NEED lower grades to warrant the cost of their 9.8 vs the lower grades.

9.0 and above. Some people here have some unrealistic expectations with wanting every book to be 9.8. I't just doesn't arrive at stores 9.8. You WILL have to press some books to get 9.8's. 9.0-9.6 aren't dirty numbers, and the people who want to profit off of 9.8's really NEED lower grades to warrant the cost of their 9.8 vs the lower grades.

+1

Ideally I would like anything I slab to be 9.6 or better, but anything over 9.0 is really nice. I only keep moderns that are below 9.0 when I cannot find a high grade alternative.

There are regular moderns and then there's special cases.

Normally no bends, folds, cb spine ticks, creases, heavy-rubs, cover-dents, corner-crunches etc. There's a LCS that typically has the low-run variants when they come out (usually only 1 or 2 copies) but are often damaged. Picked up a HTD#1-Lim at a decent price that I thought I could press its single ncb spine ding into a 9.8, but still came back 9.6. So I'm still living and still learning.

Very slight ncb spine-dings may be unavoidable off the shelf especially for poor paper quality new books (coughmarvelcough). Clearly still 9.6 or higher even with the ding though if I can't find one without the ding.

OTOH, I'll accept certain defects in certain books if the price is right - e.g. a handful of DKMRIII#1 1:100 Miller that was being sold on the bay for dirt-cheap with very slight corner dings.

Buying raws online - very hard to predict if a 9.8 will arrive as a 9.8, or even find a seller offering "NM/M" condition for many raw lower-run issues.

Mostly I'm quite content with NM or higher if I can get it.

All fair comments. Appreciate the responses. Been out of the game for a number of years and in that time the two comic shops I used have closed so mailorder is the most cost-effective way of staying in touch with the modern era. It's only really from lurking on here that I've come to appreciate the small defects that I used to not even consider.

All fair comments. Appreciate the responses. Been out of the game for a number of years and in that time the two comic shops I used have closed so mailorder is the most cost-effective way of staying in touch with the modern era. It's only really from lurking on here that I've come to appreciate the small defects that I used to not even consider.

More evidence that OCD is communicable via discussion boards.

:grin:

+1

Ideally I would like anything I slab to be 9.6 or better, but anything over 9.0 is really nice. I only keep moderns that are below 9.0 when I cannot find a high grade alternative.

+2

People get to hung up on 9.8 in my opinion. Any 9.0+ plus comic is a nice looking issue and certainly fine for your average issue of a run.

As for mail order, I've had really good luck with DCBS. It's rare to get anything lower than a 9.4/9.6 and most are 9.8, but I opt for Mylars and full backs. The few things I get from the lcs, I'm usually lucky to get home with them being a 9.6.

More evidence that OCD is communicable via discussion boards.

:grin:

I think you could be right :grin:

+1

+2

People get to hung up on 9.8 in my opinion. Any 9.0+ plus comic is a nice looking issue and certainly fine for your average issue of a run.

As for mail order, I've had really good luck with DCBS. It's rare to get anything lower than a 9.4/9.6, but I opt for Mylars and full backs.

Very well stated, but I was talking exclusively Modern books to slab for my collection. I DO make exceptions for other ages. Also when I say NM/M / 9.8 candidates I always take into account for pressable defects. If it has a shot at 9.8 I buy it. If not, then I pass.

It's not about being "hung up" it's about personal preference :foryou:

+1

+2

As for mail order, I've had really good luck with DCBS. It's rare to get anything lower than a 9.4/9.6, but I opt for Mylars and full backs.

Very well stated, but I was talking exclusively Modern books to slab for my collection. I DO make exceptions for other ages. Also when I say NM/M / 9.8 candidates I always take into account for pressable defects. If it has a shot at 9.8 I buy it. If not, then I pass.

Oh for sure if you are going the slab route and just not for reading, I would be picky about wanting a 9.8 too. (thumbs u

Does anybody else cringe when you bring your books up to the register and clerk grabs them by the spine as they ring them up. I mean I don't wanna be that guy, but geeze louise they work in a comic book store you would think they would know how to handle books a bit better.

Well said. People have their own preference. Some might be ok with a 9.0 for moderns. Some aren't. Same applies to silver age, coppers and bronze. Peope have different collecting preferences.

+1

+2

Oh for sure if you are going the slab route and just not for reading, I would be picky about wanting a 9.8 too. (thumbs u

Does anybody else cringe when you bring your books up to the register and clerk grabs them by the spine as they ring them up. I mean I don't wanna be that guy, but geeze louise they work in a comic book store you would think they would know how to handle books a bit better.

I always tell the retailer I will bag them myself :gossip:

I get dirty looks sometimes heh

I know everyone is talking about grade and condition. But the things I find unacceptable for modern comics is 1. lateness of the issues after the first issue ships and 2. Inconsistent art on the books. I read a lot and grade a little. I keep more stuff then I sell. So for me, if a book is small press I can accept buying a lower grade copy to read more so than buying a book that has a 6 month hiatus between issues (looking at you Black Mask) and art that switches between artists in between issues or even within the same issue (pretty much everything that Double Take did)