• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

A question of....etiquette?

83 posts in this topic

Hi everyone, looking for some advice on a couple raw books I purchased from a dealer at WW Chicago 2015. These just got the shipped/safe status update from CGC and are coming back well under the estimated raw grade from the seller. Books in question are an Iron Man 55 sold to me as a 9.2 raw, graded by CGC as an 8.0 and a Showcase 55 sold to me as a 9.2, graded by CGC an 8.5. Comic prices being what they are today, I paid 9.2+ prices for both books, to the tune of over $2500. That being said, these are worth no where near what I paid. What I am asking is, is that the breaks with comics? Win some/lose some? Or would you approach the seller and ask for some sort of recompense? Any advice is appreciated as always.

In my experience nothing ventured nothing gained.

Also in my experience, it is not what you do but how you do it (and more importantly sometimes is who you are).

Hi everyone, looking for some advice on a couple raw books I purchased from a dealer at WW Chicago 2015. These just got the shipped/safe status update from CGC and are coming back well under the estimated raw grade from the seller. Books in question are an Iron Man 55 sold to me as a 9.2 raw, graded by CGC as an 8.0 and a Showcase 55 sold to me as a 9.2, graded by CGC an 8.5. Comic prices being what they are today, I paid 9.2+ prices for both books, to the tune of over $2500. That being said, these are worth no where near what I paid. What I am asking is, is that the breaks with comics? Win some/lose some? Or would you approach the seller and ask for some sort of recompense? Any advice is appreciated as always.

If you had a chance to view the books in hand before submitting.....I'm not sure there's much you can do.

You could ask for a refund. But I imagine you'll eat the grading fees. (shrug)

When the dealer told you that they were 9.2s, did you agree with that? I'm assuming so since you paid the price for 9.2s.

I did spend quite a while looking them over, front and back and thought they were graded fairly, maybe CGC is just grading really tight right now.

Here's my two cents. First of all, anytime you buy raw from a dealer its up to you ( IMO ) as the buyer to assign a grade yourself. It's up to you to have the book removed and carefully go through it page by page, in case the dealer missed something. It happens.

I don't know if asking for compensation is the best bet. These books have been moving around for 8 months so who is to say they haven't picked up a bend or a crease somewhere along the way. Good luck regardless.

Unless you specifically requested and received some sort of confirmation that the dealer grades would comport with CGC grades, I do not believe that you have a beef. You had the opportunity to review the books, and you agreed to pay what was asked based upon what was before you.

I am sorry for your negative experience, but that is how I see it.

Tons of threads about how maybe people should probably stick to fine to nm mindsets instead of being specific. Any dealer who grades as good as cgc would probably be working for them yeah?

Going through my own books now trying to find stuff to submit and all I can do is cross my fingers. What looks flawless to me could be chock full of defects under the strict guidelines. I don't have the equipment or skill to grade at that level. I doubt anyone at a Con does either. Just skill and experience. Trust who you will

Unless you specifically requested and received some sort of confirmation that the dealer grades would comport with CGC grades, I do not believe that you have a beef. You had the opportunity to review the books, and you agreed to pay what was asked based upon what was before you.

I agree. It is a bummer but if the books came back a 9.6, it would have been great. I had this happen to me quite a few times when buying at cons but in all cases the books were only in the $200-300 range so it doesn't sting as much. NOW, I usually only buy CGC books when spending over $200.00 for this reason.

It's definitely up to you to look the book over yourself to make sure you agree with the designated grade. I've seen some VERY generous grades given to raw books at shows. Eight months is also a long time to wait before mentioning the discrepancy even with a long turnaround time. I've negated any real profits over the years by taking losses like this. With expensive books, I tend to buy them in the slab already unless I can get it for the right price. Some mistakes are costly but that's how it goes sometimes. 2c

Tons of threads about how maybe people should probably stick to fine to nm mindsets instead of being specific. Any dealer who grades as good as cgc would probably be working for them yeah?

Going through my own books now trying to find stuff to submit and all I can do is cross my fingers. What looks flawless to me could be chock full of defects under the strict guidelines. I don't have the equipment or skill to grade at that level. I doubt anyone at a Con does either. Just skill and experience. Trust who you will

What equipment does one need? ???

I'm not good enough of a grader to grade a raw book that accurately. Most people I see grading at cons use NM, NM-, etc...

Go look at the "Hey buddy, could you spare a grade" forum. Look at how people are grading. Most of the time there is a general consensus of opinions and that can help point out how certain grades look.

It is especially helpful when the book gets officially graded and the OP posts what it came back as.

This is why I never pay CGC prices for RAW books and I don't sell RAW books at CGC prices, although I see more dealers doing this.

Unless the seller can guarantee the grade, I'll be assuming the risk of restoration and the cost of grading, so I need a buffer.

+1 You plays the game, you takes your chances.

What if they had come back with higher grades than the dealer had on them. Would you be looking to give him some extra money?

Here's my two cents. First of all, anytime you buy raw from a dealer its up to you ( IMO ) as the buyer to assign a grade yourself. It's up to you to have the book removed and carefully go through it page by page, in case the dealer missed something. It happens.

I don't know if asking for compensation is the best bet. These books have been moving around for 8 months so who is to say they haven't picked up a bend or a crease somewhere along the way. Good luck regardless.

Yup.

This is why I never pay CGC prices for RAW books and I don't sell RAW books at CGC prices, although I see more dealers doing this.

Unless the seller can guarantee the grade, I'll be assuming the risk of restoration and the cost of grading, so I need a buffer.

+1.

If I buy something expensive, like over $100, I almost always buy it slabbed. I got burned once on a SAMCO ebay purchase when I bought a $250 book that was overgraded and possibly qualified so I try to avoid buying expensive raw books unless its a rare or something I must have.