• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

The one book everybody has to have...

45 posts in this topic

GS XM 1 for me.

I've never had the same level of connection to Hulk 181, or 180.

GS XM 1 for me.

GSX 1 has always held a higher level to me, but what the hey. I have a 9.2 and a 9.4 IH 181 too.

GS XM 1 for me.

GSX 1 has always held a higher level to me, but what the hey. I have a 9.2 and a 9.4 IH 181 too.

Same situation for me. Copies of both.

Whenever I meet other collectors... Seems the consensus among 20-40 year olds... The one book they plan on getting... Is IH181... And yes I am pumping up this book bc I love it so much...

At some point, after one has owned many copies, it becomes kind of meh, because it is so plentiful.

I do not have one right now, but have owned about 10 over the years.

Funny i remember hulk 181 was an under the radar 'key" back in the early 80's. I picked up a NM copy for $15 out of a classified at a time when finding a 94 or GSX1 for under a $100 was mostly a fantasy.

I always thought the art was so inferior to Byrne x-men which were on fire at the time that it just wasn't in demand like x-men books were. Nowadays there is no question with wolverine achieving flagship character status for quite some time that IH 181 is king. Spider-man,Wolverine, and Iron Man seem to be the big 3 right now.

I actually did go on to find a copy of 94 & GSX1 including a beautiful 94 in VF+ for $35 after following a lot of false leads. lol - when i was 16 i sold off all my X books to a local comic shop. Having the entire new x-men run made his shop the place to be for some time afterwards. I don't recall that situation too fondly in retrospect but he always seemed to like me after that.

Funny i remember hulk 181 was an under the radar 'key" back in the early 80's. I picked up a NM copy for $15 out of a classified at a time when finding a 94 or GSX1 for under a $100 was mostly a fantasy.

I always thought the art was so inferior to Byrne x-men which were on fire at the time that it just wasn't in demand like x-men books were. Nowadays there is no question with wolverine achieving flagship character status for quite some time that IH 181 is king. Spider-man,Wolverine, and Iron Man seem to be the big 3 right now.

I actually did go on to find a copy of 94 & GSX1 including a beautiful 94 in VF+ for $35 after following a lot of false leads. lol - when i was 16 i sold off all my X books to a local comic shop. Having the entire new x-men run made his shop the place to be for some time afterwards. I don't recall that situation too fondly in retrospect but he always seemed to like me after that.

So you're saying he didn't like you BEFORE that? lol

It's a toss up between GSXM 1 and Hulk 181 imo. The significance of GSXM1 shouldn't be discounted.

I'm in this boat, I'd rather get a GSXM1 now and get a Hulk 181 later

I've never had the desire to own a copy simply because of the bad artwork.

I bought mine off the rack back in the day, and remember that there wasn't anything particularly special about the book. Wolverine didn't turn into a fully realized cool character until the new X-Men began. It's special now because of its Wolvie-driven high demand and value, but the story and art are truthfully pretty ordinary.

For me, the most impactful read from back then was ASM #121 - I don't remember any other BA comic coming close, other than ASM #122, of course. Still, if you weren't reading Spidey serially in 1973, these two issues probably don't have as much significance for you.

Overall, then, that leaves GSX-Men #1 as what I'd consider the must-have BA comic for everybody.

I've never had the desire to own a copy simply because of the bad artwork.

The first time I owned this book i opened it up and thought the art was laughable. Back then the staples of my collection were Byrne x-men, Starlin captain marvels ,Starlin warlocks, and Smith Conan's so trimpe just could not hang with what i was used to.

Over the years though I have become quite fond of the cover. Not the tightest pencils by any stretch but a cool action scene and nice colors.