• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Which is your favourite auction/consignment site?

19 posts in this topic

Comic Link:

I used to buy a lot of books from ComicLink but I'm less enamored with them these days. However, I think they have the most useful site. Easiest to navigate and recent sales provide good reference.

Comic Connect:

I use to buy stuff here as well but I disagreed with them on an issue and have never been back.

Pedigree Comics:

I've made a few purchases from Mr. Schmell but the website and the inventory of stuff I usually look for is lacking.

Heritage Auctions:

Website takes time to get used to but their buyers premium is a turn off so I've never used them, although I've been tempted.

My Comic Shop:

I'm starting to like MyComicShop more. They've been responsive to my emails and they now accept PayPal, which means I don't need to convert my US funds from PayPal to CAD and back to US again which is a plus for us Canadians. My only complaint is that I wish they would post pics up on their site so that I don't have to search for it on eBay.

Just wondering who you guys use more and why? Are there others that I should try?

Of the ones you mentioned... in the order I got to look for stuff recently..

Comiclink

Mycomicshop

ComicConnect

Heritage

never Pedigree

Comiclink has been my go to site for quite some time.

they are the only ones i have ever consigned items with although i have bought off of all the major sites.

Once upon a time ebay was by far my main choice for buying and selling but their fee changes really wrecked that place.

Ranked in order of my consignment dollars, selling high grade Silver Age and a couple of Bronze Age keys:

Highgrade Comics

Comiclink

ComicConnect

E-Bay

Pedigree

As a buyer, I've given more business to Heritage than any other site. Over the years, they have offered more depth and breadth of SA and BA material than anyone. As a seller, I've also sold an entire run and a major key in deals with a collector friend, passing the skipped consignment fees along to the buyer.

they are the only ones i have ever consigned items with although i have bought off of all the major sites.

Once upon a time ebay was by far my main choice for buying and selling but their fee changes really wrecked that place.

Of those mentioned I have purchased from them all. Price is the main difference. Hey, somebody's paying for Heritage's nice building. As a seller though I have only sold through ebay. The treasures that went for a song still haunt me. I am curious as to why ebay fee changes wrecked the place though?

I use ebay about 90% of the time but it is frustrating finding high grade silver age stuff. Comicconnect.com does a good job of fully scanning and grading the books but some sellers there will have things prices 150-250% over the book price. I stick with ebay just to spend less money in the long run.

So I've bought from MyComicShop & Comic Link, both are good in customer service, which is why I keep on going back.

Does anyone have preference on which sites are better for selling & ones better for buying?

Of those mentioned I have purchased from them all. Price is the main difference. Hey, somebody's paying for Heritage's nice building. As a seller though I have only sold through ebay. The treasures that went for a song still haunt me. I am curious as to why ebay fee changes wrecked the place though?

Well it seemed to me listing and final price fees went way up and coincided with a mass exodus of collectors that started selling off their books on other sites. Books used to be listed for almost nothing. it was a great way to move material and had a real online flea market feel with massive amounts of auctions 24/7. Feels like people just selling off a few books has mostly disappeared leaving behind sellers that ask massively inflated prices for books.

Ranked in order of my consignment dollars, selling high grade Silver Age and a couple of Bronze Age keys:

Highgrade Comics

Comiclink

ComicConnect

E-Bay

Pedigree

As a buyer, I've given more business to Heritage than any other site. Over the years, they have offered more depth and breadth of SA and BA material than anyone. As a seller, I've also sold an entire run and a major key in deals with a collector friend, passing the skipped consignment fees along to the buyer.

So highgrade is pretty good for consignment huh? I thought about listing my TOS 39 there but went with comiclink. Wonder if Bob takes a percentage of your listing as fee or do you just tell him what you need for it and he sells it for whatever he can get and keeps the extra as a fee?

Consignment rates

$0-$9999 10%

10K-99999 8.75%

Over $100K 7.50%

You have the ability to list and get the bids or send me the books, we work out the selling price with "wiggle/negotiation room" and I bring the books to shows etc.

Consignment rates

$0-$9999 10%

10K-99999 8.75%

Over $100K 7.50%

You have the ability to list and get the bids or send me the books, we work out the selling price with "wiggle/negotiation room" and I bring the books to shows etc.

Good to know (thumbs u - btw the raw spideys i bought last month were a-okay!

Lots of other great sellers out there, including Bob, DTA and Brett Putnam, although Brett's website seems to have disappeared. I was just thinking about the larger auction houses outside of eBay.

Lots of other great sellers out there, including Bob, DTA and Brett Putnam, although Brett's website seems to have disappeared. I was just thinking about the larger auction houses outside of eBay.

Being focused on only auction houses removes the valuable alternative of listing consigned books at fixed prices. While the former has the advantage of guaranteeing your material will be sold by the end of the auction, the latter has the advantage that your material can realize higher overall sale prices by waiting for the 'right' buyers (the ones willing to pay your asking prices).