• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Ordering direct from E Gerber

55 posts in this topic

It's not difficult. Call, get put on hold by surly woman. Wait for surly woman to get to you. If you ordered before, they already have your info so just tell the surly woman what you want. Wait a week if you live on the west coast. Stuff magically appear at your doorstep. Surly.

I wish, that sounds easy enough, just didn't happen. :(

The thing with E. Gerber is it's a small mom & pop operation. I have bought directly from the warehouse when I lived in Northern Va. It was just a 45 min drive to their place in Maryland. I still had to order by phone before going there. You can't just show up and order on the fly. The lady answering the phone is busy processing orders and taking phone orders whenever she can get free to answer the phone. That's if she hears it ringing. No one else is allowed to answer the phone but her and one other lady if she is off that day..lol. I kid you not. Every blue moon the owner will take the phone orders. As for the lady,all she can do is write down the order. The owner is the only one allowed to process credit card transactions and he only does that each morning before he starts processing materials to fill orders. He is hands on in cutting the boards and the mylars. They have excellent products but they do not have a person designated to solely processing orders nor do they have a computer system to do it either. The better times to get your order in is early in the week between 9-11 or 1-3 Mon-Thurs. Friday is a long shot but its best to try first thing in the morning. They take off all the major holidays so don't try to order during holiday periods. Not too many can compete with their prices if you buy in bulk. I've used BCW and Bags unlimited before but I always end up buying from E. Gerber. I will have to give Hot Flips a try to see a comparison.

The thing with E. Gerber is it's a small mom & pop operation.

It's definitely run that way, but "E. Gerber" is actually owned by Steve Geppi and affiliated with Diamond Comic Distributors (or at least it was the last time I checked, at which point it was also being managed by Geppi's nephew).

My dealings with them have been okay. But like others have mentioned, their "no-tech" approach got old after awhile, so I sought out other sources...

The thing with E. Gerber is it's a small mom & pop operation.

It's definitely run that way, but "E. Gerber" is actually owned by Steve Geppi and affiliated with Diamond Comic Distributors (or at least it was the last time I checked, at which point it was also being managed by Geppi's nephew).

My dealings with them have been okay. But like others have mentioned, their "no-tech" approach got old after awhile, so I sought out other sources...

Yeah I didn't think that added up. Makes more sense

They must have some pretty big clients because it seems like they are always super busy. However, I can say once they become familiar with you that it gets easier to order. Now when I call the lady who I know by first name recognizes my number is nowhere near surly when I place an order. Once she gets herself positioned to take an order it only takes a matter of minutes and she's real pleasant.

My experience is most likely because I am from another country.

The "outside of USA" phone line seems to not be monitored and I was lucky after 3 days of calling multiple times a day to have someone walking by to answer.

It has been 3 weeks since I placed my order, they have not called me back at all.

I went elsewhere and it is to bad, as I like their products.

As for pricing, I don't understand those who are saying Hot Flips is cheaper. Hot Flips is great, but when I've priced their E. Gerber products against buying direct, it's always been cheaper from E. Gerber, even including the shipping charges, particularly in bulk.

Hands down cheaper for me on the west coast. But I do order in bulk - 1000 M2s, 1000FBs.

Hot Flips is great, but they are still a middleman in price chain.

I've ordered from Gerber a few times. It's definitely an old school way of doing business. But I've always gotten the product relatively quickly once I made contact.

I really like that they'll cut custom sized backing boards if you want them. I always have them cut down the 7 1/2" boards to 7 1/8" so books don't slide around in the 7 1/4" mylites. For me, that's worth the extra complications of ordering from them.

I've ordered from Gerber a few times. It's definitely an old school way of doing business. But I've always gotten the product relatively quickly once I made contact.

I really like that they'll cut custom sized backing boards if you want them. I always have them cut down the 7 1/2" boards to 7 1/8" so books don't slide around in the 7 1/4" mylites. For me, that's worth the extra complications of ordering from them.

how much more is the cutting?

I wanted 4x 725m2 and 2x 700hb,

Egerber priced it at $54+16shipping, hot flips priced it at $94 shipped. Not even close.

My problem with the 700hb boards is I think they might be too small for a 725 bag. Maybe a 7-1/8th board instead?

Who else should I check for prices?

Wow I always called and never had a problem the receptionist didn't seem to be "surly" when I talk to her she will repeat my order back to me and ask if it's going to the card on file. I haven't ordered over a 1000 of one item at a time that may be the case for someone having to get back with a shipping quote. The only time I did have trouble placing a order was when the weather is bad in that area.

Wow I always called and never had a problem the receptionist didn't seem to be "surly" when I talk to her she will repeat my order back to me and ask if it's going to the card on file. I haven't ordered over a 1000 of one item at a time that may be the case for someone having to get back with a shipping quote. The only time I did have trouble placing a order was when the weather is bad in that area.

You may be east coast and used to poor treatment....., (:

Nope in California but then again that doesn't mean I'm not used to dealing with women when they are Surly I have been married for almost twenty years :ohnoez:

I don't care if someone is "surly" as long as they are competent and professional.

Nope in California but then again that doesn't mean I'm not used to dealing with women when they are Surly I have been married for almost twenty years :ohnoez:
:lol: 32 here, as of Thursday. I tried to suggest a solution on an Rx problem tonight and got kicked to the curb on what a carppy suggestion it was (call the frickin' doctor's office..., ) - jeezus....., it was just an idea. :sorry:

I don't care if someone is "surly" as long as they are competent and professional.
You need to call and experience it. You'll fax the next time :lol:

:lol: 32 here, as of Thursday. I tried to suggest a solution on an Rx problem tonight and got kicked to the curb on what a carppy suggestion it was (call the frickin' doctor's office..., ) - jeezus....., it was just an idea. :sorry:
Happy early 32 Anniversary. She let's you buy funny books so she can't be all that Surly (thumbs u

Happy early 32 Anniversary. She let's you buy funny books so she can't be all that Surly (thumbs u
That's what makes her ginormously enraged :eek:

You need to call and experience it. You'll fax the next time :lol:

Fax. lol