• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Where are the Bronze Age 9.8 FFs???

19 posts in this topic

Maybe we all read them enough that they are no longer 9.8.

When I was a kid and getting these off of the stands, I remember everyone reading them and thinking them good, solid books. However, I don't recall anyone getting overly excited... no new characters, no real shocking break from what had come before, no big name creators. Sure, the Perez art was nice, but he was not all consistent on the title.... seems like my buddies at the time were more excited about his work on Avengers.

So, I guess what I am saying is I'm not sure these would have been hoarded in unread, pristine condition.

Thanks,

Fan4Fan

Seriously, its been 5 years now. Where are they?

I still think they're sitting unidentified in longboxes because they fall under everyone's radar. The risk of losing money on the submission cost is significant if you only get 9.4 or lower, and even if you get 9.6, it's often not worth the effort of submitting issues in that range in the first place.

I know you do a bit of convention buying...do you buy and submit any yourself? Or have you just not found ANY you think are 9.8 candidates? If anyone was doing it to books that pass through a con like the Tyson's show, I'd think it would be someone like yourself. If you're not even trying to submit yourself, then the answer to the shortage might lie within the reasons for your own submission habits.

Seriously, its been 5 years now. Where are they?

I still think they're sitting unidentified in longboxes because they fall under everyone's radar. The risk of losing money on the submission cost is significant if you only get 9.4 or lower, and even if you get 9.6, it's often not worth the effort of submitting issues in that range in the first place.

I know you do a bit of convention buying...do you buy and submit any yourself? Or have you just not found ANY you think are 9.8 candidates? If anyone was doing it to books that pass through a con like the Tyson's show, I'd think it would be someone like yourself. If you're not even trying to submit yourself, then the answer to the shortage might lie within the reasons for your own submission habits.

I haven't found many - there are a couple of HCGC 9.8s that I've submitted, but I just don't see them in that grade. frustrated.gif

every thing in that age i only see raw at conventions, people just don't realize slabbing books, makes people want the books more for some reason, even with the same grade for more money hehe

every thing in that age i only see raw at conventions, people just don't realize slabbing books, makes people want the books more for some reason, even with the same grade for more money hehe

I agree. I was buying some 9.6/9.8 raw Bronze FFs in the 120s and 130s from that guy who helped buy the "Lost Valley" collection--the taller one who looks vaguely middle-eastern, like the actor who played Elektra's father in the "Daredevil" film--and I was telling him he should slab them because he'd get 10 to 20 times what I was paying for them if he did. He seemed to consider it to be a fad, or seemed to think the idea unrealistic for whatever reason.

I see a lot more raw 9.6/9.8 candidates than I do actual 9.8s in slabs on Bronze books, particularly late Bronze.

there's a seller on eBay that has 3 FF's in the 170 range that came back 9.8 from PGX, but he selling it in a whole collection. maybe the reserve won't be met and you can haggle with him. something that goes by "nicholson warehouse collection" on the label. screwy.gif

I purchased the 9.6 FF's that i have up on Ebay from Neatstuff Collectibles, and they were all cheap. It seemed like he had a whole slew of FF's from about the 160's up , most in high grade, i guess i just missed the 9.8's. Unfortunately he doesn't have that collection anymore.

I purchased the 9.6 FF's that i have up on Ebay from Neatstuff Collectibles, and they were all cheap.

That's one of the main things keeping the 9.8s from hitting the market--getting a 9.6 is barely worth the slab cost. Even though I'd like to own them, I don't even look to buy 9.8s all that often because I usually just buy every 9.6/9.8 candidate I see for around guide, and as a result, I've got somewhere between 1 and 10 copies of many late Bronze FFs. The raw ultra-high-grade supply is high enough to keep me satisfied.

I purchased the 9.6 FF's that i have up on Ebay from Neatstuff Collectibles, and they were all cheap. It seemed like he had a whole slew of FF's from about the 160's up , most in high grade, i guess i just missed the 9.8's. Unfortunately he doesn't have that collection anymore.

ummm.. you didn't purchase 167. grin.gif

Issues #241 and #252 just went for $77 and $80. I don't see these getting much cheaper in the near future.

I wonder how much would my 243 9.8 W go for? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif I'm not going to sell it. I just love the cover.

Issues #241 and #252 just went for $77 and $80. I don't see these getting much cheaper in the near future.

I wonder how much would my 243 9.8 W go for? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif I'm not going to sell it. I just love the cover.

Sell it to me there are tons of them out there. Tons I tell yah. tongue.gifpoke2.gif

Sell it to me there are tons of them out there. Tons I tell yah. tongue.gifpoke2.gif

Bought it for $40 including shipping. yay.gif

I'll give you $100 for it. sumo.gif

I'm not selling my FF's. unless you offer me $200. poke2.gifinsane.gif

I'm not selling my FF's. unless you offer me $200. poke2.gifinsane.gif

I'll give ya $200 for your FF's. That is all of 'em, right? poke2.gif