• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

THE BATMAN starring Robert Pattinson (2022)
13 13

3,099 posts in this topic

On 3/28/2022 at 6:23 PM, Jaydogrules said:

According to Forbes this is very much at the END of its run, not the middle.  It needs 800MM to just hit a 4.0x multiple. A 4.0x multiple would barely be slightly above the average Bats film take. 

Another word for average is 

Meh.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/markhughes/2022/03/23/the-batman-headed-for-700-million-box-office-cume/?sh=586a923a7673

This week , a rom-com by an over the hill actress over-indexed and easily knocked it from #1.  Next week, the cheaply made Morbius will under perform , but will still easily take #1.  After that a 40 year old video game from a long dead platform will take even more theaters.  And by then Batman will be headed to HBOMax, where I might finally bother with it in segments.  

-J.

Now you are just doubling down on your already altered reality as a "OH YEAH" moment. Come on, man. This is now getting beyond silly.

On 3/28/2022 at 12:07 PM, Gatsby77 said:

1) Bosco's chart - by emphasizing revenue ratio, makes inflation irrelevant.

2) You're correct - it's currently at 3.4x vs. a historical average of 3.8x.

But (and hear me out)...it's still in the middle of its run.

It's on-track to ultimately surpass 3.8x theatrically.

Stop acting like this has already left theaters - it has significant legs left.

apparently the $100 million+ earned from here on until the end of its run doesn't count in the bizarro accounting world of #profitlessAquaman

On 3/28/2022 at 4:00 PM, Bosco685 said:

Now you are just doubling down on your already altered reality as a "OH YEAH" moment. Come on, man. This is now getting beyond silly.

Okay. :eyeroll:

You all can go right on ahead pretending this movie made a killing, even though its entire worldwide theatrical run will be less than the last 2 batman movies from 10+ years ago and less than what spider-man made domestically alone last/this year.   (thumbsu

-J.

Edited by Jaydogrules

On 3/28/2022 at 7:15 PM, Jaydogrules said:

You all can go right on ahead pretending this movie made a killing, even though its entire worldwide theatrical run will be less than the last 2 batman movies from 10+ years ago and less than what spider-man made domestically alone last/this year.   (thumbsu

-J.

doubling_down.gif.24e82301efeb3fc79883435cbb9fe114.gif

:baiting:

Saw the movie over the weekend. Still had a decent crowd for a Saturday afternoon.

Felt like it moved well. Didn't feel like a 3-hour movie. Neither my wife nor I checked our watches.

Was surprised that "Bruce Wayne" didn't get much time in public, like others said.

I liked the movie overall. Catching a serial killer with a DC superhero. 

On 3/28/2022 at 6:56 PM, Jaydogrules said:

:fear:

-J.

The Batman doesn't need a movie to bring a mega key to life . Cap 1 and MF 73 are yesterdays news and dead books.  They had their shining moment which sadly has passed.

Edited by Chicago Boy

On 3/28/2022 at 9:14 AM, AnthonyTheAbyss said:

Honest question cause I'm actually curious...any shock/surprise that this movie got knocked out of the #1 spot so quickly?

***The Lost City...(shrug)

I was surprised. But it only made a little less than what I expected. The surprise is more about how well Lost City made. Those are great numbers even in non covid times.

On 3/28/2022 at 7:15 PM, Jaydogrules said:

-J.

Are you upset that it isn't doing better? Or do you think it makes sense that it is not doing better? Do you think DC's popularity, and Batman's popularity, is not what it used to be? 

On 3/29/2022 at 1:23 AM, William-James88 said:

Are you upset that it isn't doing better? Or do you think it makes sense that it is not doing better? Do you think DC's popularity, and Batman's popularity, is not what it used to be? 

I don't think he's upset! lol

Plus his thesis is wrong. The movie only had a -44% drop from last weekend. By any honest measure, The Batman is a box office smash.

On 3/28/2022 at 8:41 PM, D84 said:

I agree on More Fun 73, but Captain America Comics 1 is still rising. 

There was a time Cap 1 was neck and neck with Bats 1 in recent history.  It just hasn't moved the needle like the other mega keys during the pandemic.  I love Cap 1 for the record.  

On 3/28/2022 at 7:49 PM, Chicago Boy said:

The Batman doesn't need a movie to bring a mega key to life . Cap 1 and MF 73 are yesterdays news and dead books.  They had their shining moment which sadly has passed.

Yes I think Cap 1 is doing ok. It hasn’t matched the Bat 1’s meteoric rise, but it’s hardly without a pulse. The Promise 3.5, even with a rusty staple, hammered at $240k. That’s an aggressive price. And the current 9.4 will serve to raise prices across the board, IMO

25396ED1-AABE-4329-BBF1-9BE03324ED6C.jpeg

1276DA74-FA13-4688-B614-6D7AEE4A6AC1.jpeg

AC36DF23-F656-402C-98BC-18EB680E71DA.jpeg

Edited by GreatCaesarsGhost

On 3/29/2022 at 8:15 AM, GreatCaesarsGhost said:

Yes I think Cap 1 is doing ok. It hasn’t matched the Bat 1’s meteoric rise, but it’s hardly without a pulse. The Promise 3.5, even with a rusty staple, hammered at $240k. That’s an aggressive price. And the current 9.4 will serve to raise prices across the board, IMO

I have only ever stood in front of a Captain America #1 once in my lifetime, and it was the Mile High Comics copy.

Chuck Rozanski provided his copy for a U.S. Army Independence Day celebration at Fort Carson, Colorado, by his HQ. It was gorgeous to behold, even behind super-thick and shaded display glass.

Great memories!

Edited by Bosco685

On 3/28/2022 at 6:23 PM, Jaydogrules said:

According to Forbes this is very much at the END of its run, not the middle.  It needs 800MM to just hit a 4.0x multiple. A 4.0x multiple would barely be slightly above the average Bats film take. 

Another word for average is 

Meh.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/markhughes/2022/03/23/the-batman-headed-for-700-million-box-office-cume/?sh=586a923a7673

This week , a rom-com by an over the hill actress over-indexed and easily knocked it from #1.  Next week, the cheaply made Morbius will under perform , but will still easily take #1.  After that a 40 year old video game from a long dead platform will take even more theaters.  And by then Batman will be headed to HBOMax, where I might finally bother with it in segments.  

-J.

I think it's kind of amusing that the very article you have linked here seems to be speaking directly about you:

There are a lot of fans heavily invested in past movies — be it Christopher Nolan’s The Dark Knight Trilogy or Zack Snyder’s “Snyderverse” films — who seem upset or angry that The Batman’s box office results are deemed successful.

They believe that if Batman v Superman was called “underperforming” or “box office disappointment,” and/or if The Dark Knight Rises was said to need to match or exceed The Dark Knight’s gross to avoid disappointing, then it must be unfair and hypocritical to say The Batman is a hit at $700+ million and doesn’t need to top $1 billion.

The problem with this resentment, however, is that The Batman’s situation isn’t remotely comparable to either The Dark Knight Rises or Batman v Superman, for many reasons.

The Dark Knight Rises was a sequel to the most successful and popular Batman movie of all time, and it had enormous anticipation as the conclusion to Nolan’s trilogy. There was every opportunity for it to be a mega-blockbuster, and it delivered in spades. Which, for the record, put even more pressure on the next reboot of the character just a few years later in Batman v Superman.

Likewise, Batman v Superman was a sequel to The Man of Steel, it came on the heels of the double-billion performances of Nolan’s last two Dark Knight movies, and it starred two other superheroes who are well-known brands. It had good reason to set its sights on at least $900+ million as a baseline for expectations, and to look toward $1 billion as the desired result for a three-hero team-up.

The Batman has no other superheroes in it, it’s not a sequel, and the DC movies it immediately follows have been a critical and financial mixed bag (regardless of whatever you and I personally feel about those films). It’s a from-scratch restart with no ties to other films yet. It’s also three hours long, the longest of any Batman theatrical release, as well as being billed/reviewed as supposedly darker and more violent than past bat-flicks (which isn’t really true, but that’s the reputation it has among the press and public). Which is to all to say, Batman will remain extremely popular and could just occasionally see lower box office when the franchise resets or exists in a larger context of studio difficulties, while still performing at overall high levels relative to most other general film releases.

Oh, and there’s a worldwide plague that’s shutting down theaters all over the planet and has a large portion of the public too sick or too cautious to venture out to theaters — and for those who do venture out, they might go once but they aren’t as likely to engage in repeat viewings, which they might’ve done if there wasn’t a two-year pandemic still raging. And a war in Europe that many fear could expand into World War III. And a domestic threat of insurrection and another coup attempt by far-right extremists. Those things might dampen enthusiasm for flocking to theaters, at least for some folks in the world.

For The Batman to still gross $700+ million in spite of all of those speed bumps is a success. And it is still a valid success even if other films that made the same amount of money (or more) were considered disappointments in previous years. There is no hypocrisy or contradiction here, there is simply an inability or unwillingness among some fans and press to seriously, objectively consider the data and context when it’s counter to their personal preferences.

On 3/28/2022 at 10:23 PM, William-James88 said:

I'm not "upset" it didn't do better.  I'm disappointed it didn't.  I think a lot of people just don't like the casting.  I certainly do not.  Batman's popularity is just fine, but Warner has certainly tainted the brand in the movies of late.  As I have said repeatedly, I never expected this to do spider-man business.  But failing to even come close to other Batman movies that came out 10+ years ago, and barely matching suicide squad from 6 years ago :eyeroll: with such a HUGE production and marketing budget, and a release schedule that covered the entire Earth is just plain ridiculous, despite what some of these people posting here keep trying to convince themselves of.  

-J.

On 3/29/2022 at 7:15 AM, GreatCaesarsGhost said:

1276DA74-FA13-4688-B614-6D7AEE4A6AC1.jpeg

AC36DF23-F656-402C-98BC-18EB680E71DA.jpeg

Im just disappointed in a few books Cap 1 being one of them. It was a grail of mine for a long time which I traded a few years ago. I always thought it was undervalued even before the Marvel movies.  IMO it could arguably be the biggest Marvel book of all time across any age.  I still think it's undervalued. Incredible cover, first appearances galore, and tons of cap stories and art.