• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

My first Golden Age comic!

33 posts in this topic

Hope this is the right section.

Been eyeing this one for awhile now at one of the local shops here in San Antonio. Needless to say, 90 bucks later it finsll came home with me.

Based on the notes written on the back I figured that it was a fair and honest price.

Wish I had a scanner!

Opinions?

20160412_181721_zpse3hwt6on.jpg

20160412_181843_zpsjgrbkqss.jpg

I would probably grade that book as Poor/0.5, but it's still cool to pick up an early Batman without breaking the bank.

(thumbs u

No. 89 is the last pre-code issue, so if you want to build a GA run of the title, you only have 88 more issues to go.

26410659295_3b430d9988_b.jpg

Batman 28 wasn't my first golden age comic but it started a revival in my collecting habit. I had purchased Batman 19 back in the early sixties but sold it back in the seventies. I still have the Detective 85 that I purchased in the sixties.

7765526872_66819d114c_b.jpg

My first GA comic was probably a Disney or a Western but I didn't buy them. The Whiz comic was the first that I obtained in this group. It was a gift from my aunt, I think. The Boy comics and Daredevil were an early purchase but the earliest may have been the Star Spangled comics that I purchased from Jerry Bails pre-1964. I like to think that the Batman and Detective were the earliest purchase but I really don't remember. By the way, this is a picture of my golden age collection back in 1964 or 1965.

Great photo BB! I wish I had taken photos back in the day. About that time I had over a dozen AF #15's. Sadly, all gone now and I don't own even one.

Here is my first golden age comic and the first one I ever paid more than cover price for. ($2.00)

commad9_zpsuxmqj7nb.jpg

OP congrats!!

BB gun,you are one of my heroes here...you post so much great stuff and stories,interiors,knowledge.....I mean I respect you all,just shouting out to bb.

Thanks for the pat on the back. I enjoy writing about comics but haven't finished that big article that I have been working on for years.

I am not a hero. I didn't cure cancer or develop a vaccine that prevents gastroenteritis in children. Well I helped with the latter but it was taken off the market.

Hope this is the right section.

Been eyeing this one for awhile now at one of the local shops here in San Antonio. Needless to say, 90 bucks later it finsll came home with me.

Based on the notes written on the back I figured that it was a fair and honest price.

Wish I had a scanner!

Opinions?

Boy did they see YOU coming, bwahahaha!

Actually an excellent pick up to start your collection with.

I would probably grade that book as Poor/0.5,

According to the OSPG, the book would grade as a 1.0/fair, in that a missing BC is allowed.