• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

CGC's Policy on Approving Sig Series Venues and Witnesses, Thoughts?

57 posts in this topic

So, I've been talking to a few people about some changes to how CGC approves or denies approval to certain potential signings. They've done away with the non-book signing, non-traditional convention or scheduled public appearance, more paparazzi style signings.

So we won't see the film festival books any more and the outside a concert or man on the street or caught him coming out of a premiere books won't be getting a Sig Series label from CGC.

I know that CGC also put a firm ban on people witnessing their own books, whereas I am seeing several books on eBay in CBCS labels that look like they are being sold by the witness themselves.

What are everyone's thoughts on this?

Most of the people I know that had been getting books done at these events for CGC are solid and trustworthy, but I guess I might be able to see where there might be some cause for concern.

I've noticed that CBCS has no problem approving witnesses for the TMZ style, hit him at a stop light, signings.

Overall, what do we think this does for the brands and trust in the brands...both CGC and CBCS?

good

lol Which part?

The tightening on CGC's part?

I am sure I am not alone in stating I have significant time, effort and cash invested in the Sig Series program. Enough of each to make me territorial and protective of the program and how it changes over time as policies change and people come and go from it.

I enjoyed the books that came from these signings in the past and I will miss them but I didn't know if anyone else had noticed what I did about what is and what is not getting a yellow label these days.

lol Which part?

The tightening on CGC's part?

I am sure I am not alone in stating I have significant time, effort and cash invested in the Sig Series program. Enough of each to make me territorial and protective of the program and how it changes over time as policies change and people come and go from it.

I enjoyed the books that came from these signings in the past and I will miss them but I didn't know if anyone else had noticed what I did about what is and what is not getting a yellow label these days.

I'm pro tightening, I'm pro more controlled environments, otherwise there's too much temptation and potential for abuse.

At the very minimum, you shouldn't be able to witness your own sig. And I don't know if it got to that point, but I don't really like the idea of the 'paparazzi' style, as I think possibly CGC and many CGC SS customers would not want to feel represented that way. It makes sense that every signing has to be pre-approved by CGC to me, and makes sense that they want to have some control over how they're repped.

Most of these changes went into effect early last year. I'm surprised this has just now come up for discussion.

Personally I think all these changes make the program better. If people want to collect paparazzi style autos there is Dna and PSA for that. Most celebrities are at cons now or are willing to do private signings if asked and presented with reasonable compensation either to them directly or a charity they sponsor. I've got a couple of private signings coming up with celebs that used to be targets at red carpet events. However everyone of them have been more than willing in agreeing to sign privately for my customers & CGC, when I asked through the proper channels. CGC also had no qualms about approving the signings since they were set up and requested in a professional manner.

I never in a million years, since day 1 of doing this, understood how people were allowed to witness and sub their own books. It never made sense to me, that just screamed cause for alarm. I personally know 3 people who can do a damn good Stan Lee signature. Now I'm not saying they ever have done or ever would do one for SS, but if they can do it what's to say some new guy can't as well. I think it is a slippery slope for Voldemort as well. I for one am happy CGC removed this back in the day and reaffirmed their stance on it recently. It also helps to show why the Voldermort signature authentication program is flawed, and hopefully never comes to CGC. I'd be willing to bet anyone who wants to try I can put them in touch with someone who can get a Kirby or Lee by their signature expert.

If people think the program is flawless all they need to do is look back a few months to the Akoni issues. That was a huge mistake on everyone's part, Akonis, CGCs, and his fellow facilitators. Ty Salazar is doing a crazy good job taking care of that mess, but imagine if he hadn't been able to stand up and handle it.

More stringent SS rules are better for everyone involved from CGC to collectors, and facilitators alike.

The stricter the rules, the better.

CGC has a huge advantage with their program and I hope it doesn't change.

I agree on being strict and having a controlled environment.

CGC's had the rule against self-witnessing for as long as I can remember. They've had to repeat it a few times, but it was just common sense from the beginning.

Being more strict and careful with who is allowed to facilitate and witness will also help CGC. It's served them well over the last few years as the program has expanded and more people have sought their way in. Not everyone has a suitable set of professional skills, or ethics, or care to be entrusted with something so dependent on honesty and maturity.

Voldemort doesn't seem to be as careful. I am seeing self-witnessed books. Witnesses showing how they got people at a traffic light or at outside a restaurant, etc. It's not something that makes a program as a whole seem top shelf.

So, I've been talking to a few people about some changes to how CGC approves or denies approval to certain potential signings. They've done away with the non-book signing, non-traditional convention or scheduled public appearance, more paparazzi style signings.

So we won't see the film festival books any more and the outside a concert or man on the street or caught him coming out of a premiere books won't be getting a Sig Series label from CGC.

I know that CGC also put a firm ban on people witnessing their own books, whereas I am seeing several books on eBay in CBCS labels that look like they are being sold by the witness themselves.

What are everyone's thoughts on this?

Most of the people I know that had been getting books done at these events for CGC are solid and trustworthy, but I guess I might be able to see where there might be some cause for concern.

I've noticed that CBCS has no problem approving witnesses for the TMZ style, hit him at a stop light, signings.

Overall, what do we think this does for the brands and trust in the brands...both CGC and CBCS?

It has been about 6 1/2 years since the program overhaul, and from what I have been seeing, it has kept the program head and shoulders above the competition. The vast majority of the business Voldemort gets is by doing things in a more lax fashion than the SS Program. People want to get their "after the fact" books done, and that is cool. But there is a reason that only one Yellow label is considered the best. CGC is not perfect, but it will consistently make the tough decisions that keep the program above the rabble.

Other than my one treasured Voldemort slab, I have no use for them or their "program." Why drink Old Crow when there is Pappy in the cabinet?

When were the George Lucas books done and why was that approved?

xoxo

greggy

Why wouldn't it have been? There was an approved and vetted witness on site that got them signed.

There won't be any more like that in the future, but at the time each and every protocol was met.

CC coined the term "paparazzi SS." I think it is apropos. There was a period of time when CGC was approving paparazzi SS (like Lucas, Arnold and the Toronto Film Fest Books), and that time is over. But at no time, to the best of my knowledge, were any of the protocols not in place.

xoxo

greggy

Why wouldn't it have been? There was an approved and vetted witness on site that got them signed.

There won't be any more like that in the future, but at the time each and every protocol was met.

CC coined the term "paparazzi SS." I think it is apropos. There was a period of time when CGC was approving paparazzi SS (like Lucas, Arnold and the Toronto Film Fest Books), and that time is over. But at no time, to the best of my knowledge, were any of the protocols not in place.

Just trying to get the timing of it because I thought they were under the current rules...dork

So suck it, troll. Find something else to do until Oakman gets back.

Nope..my work is done here and there.

Luv ya Sean

My thought it is that CGC's role should be to make sure that the sigs are authentic. Having good, honestly witnesses is the best way to achieve that. Why should I care if they are one "paparazzi" style or at a non-convention venue. That doesn't matter in my mind. It should be 100% dependent on authenticity only. Just my 2 cents.

My thought it is that CGC's role should be to make sure that the sigs are authentic. Having good, honestly witnesses is the best way to achieve that. Why should I care if they are one "paparazzi" style or at a non-convention venue. That doesn't matter in my mind. It should be 100% dependent on authenticity only. Just my 2 cents.

There is more to the program than merely authenticity. Professionalism - which includes obtaining sigs at appropriate times in appropriate venues, paying the fees that creators and celebs require, and putting a positive impression in the minds of customers and the talent - is also a factor in maintaining CGC's image as the classiest and most trustworthy program.

There is more to the program than merely authenticity. Professionalism - which includes obtaining sigs at appropriate times in appropriate venues, paying the fees that creators and celebs require, and putting a positive impression in the minds of customers and the talent - is also a factor in maintaining CGC's image as the classiest and most trustworthy program.

I guess I just disagree with you on what matters to me personally as a collector. I am not saying you're wrong, I am just expressing what matters to me as a collector. Trustworthiness matters, but for me, "classiness" just isn't important. To me, it isn't important if Han got his $1000 for his sig. What is important to me is that it is authentic.

Generally my guess is the celebs who agree to do private signings or "authorized" shows aren't doing it (or not doing it) because of CGC or its policies. I bet 99% don't know or care about those. I am guessing they are doing it based on the professionalism of the facilitator they or their agent or dealing with and/or because the price was right. But again, I am not a witness or facilitator so I may not be correct. This is just my speculation.

I guess I just disagree with you on what matters to me personally as a collector. I am not saying you're wrong, I am just expressing what matters to me as a collector. Trustworthiness matters, but for me, "classiness" just isn't important. To me, it isn't important if Han got his $1000 for his sig. What is important to me is that it is authentic.

Generally my guess is the celebs who agree to do private signings or "authorized" shows aren't doing it (or not doing it) because of CGC or its policies. I bet 99% don't know or care about those. I am guessing they are doing it based on the professionalism of the facilitator they or their agent or dealing with and/or because the price was right. But again, I am not a witness or facilitator so I may not be correct. This is just my speculation.

There is nothing wrong with your position, as a collector. It is reasonable for you to want, and get, the end product that you desire. But professionalism is an important cog in the business machine.

I have been a witness (pre-CAW), a facilitator, a CAW and a pretty serious collector of Yellow label books for 10 years.

If you continue to collect for 10 years, you may realize that the integrity of the program, including professionalism, is a big reason why your Yellow label slabs are holding their value and not plummeting due to scandal or general malaise.

xoxo

greggy

This one is weird, I will jump in here. George Lucas was doing a "sit down" signing at some book event. A Dealer knew about it called me and kept it quiet, his witness went and got books done, then he mailed them to me here at CGC.