• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Insuring Your Personal Comic Collection

11 posts in this topic

I review my home (car too) insurance policy once a year and the representative always tries to sell me additional coverage on miscellaneous items such as cameras, computers, silverware, etc.

My insurance company will cover some collectibles such as guns, stamps, and coins but they won't cover comics. As far as I know, most home insurance companies will not cover your personal collection of comics within their basic policy. You must purchase separate insurance.

If you own your own business it's probably much easier acquiring insurance so that's not an issue then.

But for those who don't have a business and consider their personal collection to be worth a good amount of money, I'm curious, do you have insurance for your personal collection? If you do have coverage, what is the name of the company that covers your comics?

Also if you do have coverage, how did you access the total value of your collection to get the proper amount of coverage? I heard it can be a difficult and tedious process to access value especially if all of your books haven't been professionally graded and many companies won't insure you until you come up with an amount of how much your collection is actually worth.

Did your company do all the legwork for you to access total value? If so please share your experience of how the process worked for you.

Or do you just skip insurance all together despite your collection being worth a good amount of cash and just take your chances? hm

Collectibles insurance

http://collectinsure.com/

Exactly. I researched multiple options years ago. And the expense and required documentation for any alternatives I found was pretty insane.

If I remember correctly, with CIS you just need to provide the value of your collection and an itemized list of books valued over $5000.

I've only made one claim ever (for a lost box of books I sold). But the process was very painless and easy.

Collectibles Insurance is the best way to go. You can get blanket coverage for any dollar amount you want. As Barton mentioned, you only need to document individual books over 5K. Your books are covered during shipping = no need to buy postal insurance. They will also cover your books in a safe deposit box which 'effectively' doubles your blanket coverage. It's all good.

Collectibles Insurance is the best way to go. You can get blanket coverage for any dollar amount you want. As Barton mentioned, you only need to document individual books over 5K. Your books are covered during shipping = no need to buy postal insurance. They will also cover your books in a safe deposit box which 'effectively' doubles your blanket coverage. It's all good.

+1

Been with them for a long time now -- they are very easy to deal with.

Thanks all.

I'll definitely check them out.

What resource do they use to assess the value of books over 5k? Especially the way books fluctuate in value?

They don't assess the value, you would do it yourself. For me, I used either GPA or the price I paid for the book. They've never questioned the value of the books I've itemized. Though I've never made a claim for any big ticket books.

Thanks all.

I'll definitely check them out.

What resource do they use to assess the value of books over 5k? Especially the way books fluctuate in value?

They don't assess the value, you would do it yourself. For me, I used either GPA or the price I paid for the book. They've never questioned the value of the books I've itemized. Though I've never made a claim for any big ticket books.

Thanks most appreciated. I'll contact them.

+1

Been with them for a long time now -- they are very easy to deal with.

+1