• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

AF#15 CGC 1.0 on Comic Link

40 posts in this topic

Looks like it went for $1,050. insane.gif I would have paid the extra $1,550 to get a CGC 3.5 copy.

That's not a bad price for it. It is a nice looking FR 1.0. No big pieces missing or anything. FR copies go for about $1K. confused-smiley-013.gif

Wasn't me. sumo.gif I think I will hold out for a big pay day and treat myself to a slightly higher grade that is at least held together by its own merits not a staple gun.

It was me. shy.gif

frustrated.gif Ah just foolin, nice pick up FFB I was seriously considering buying it. thumbsup2.gif

Looks like it went for $1,050. insane.gif I would have paid the extra $1,550 to get a CGC 3.5 copy.

That's not a bad price for it. It is a nice looking FR 1.0. No big pieces missing or anything. FR copies go for about $1K. confused-smiley-013.gif

Wasn't me. sumo.gif I think I will hold out for a big pay day and treat myself to a slightly higher grade that is at least held together by its own merits not a staple gun.

It was me. shy.gif

frustrated.gif Ah just foolin, nice pick up FFB I was seriously considering buying it. thumbsup2.gif

I really owe it to you for pointing it out to me -- so thanks! hail.gif That isn't a grade I usually look at on that book, but with the recent sale of an AF#15 CGC App. 9.4 Extensive (P) (TRIMMED) for $8,900 or thereabouts, I decided to pull the trigger after seeing that this is a great resto candidate and after talking turkey with Tracey Heft on the cost of services to bring the book to that level.

If it makes you feel any better, I don't think that the book is worth what I paid for it in unrestored FR 1.0. So unless you were going to do what I'm going to do (which has inherent risk in it in any event and is going to cost well over a thousand additional dollars) it probably would not have been a good value for you to pay over $1K for the book.

I was thinking about buying it, releasing it from the slabb, and placing in a nice mylar because the cover looked to be in decent shape and in one piece. Even in its current condition that book will never lose value so I don't think you overpaid, you don't see these for sale every day. If I could find a 2.0 that is still in one piece I probably will buy it. thumbsup2.gif

I was thinking about buying it, releasing it from the slabb, and placing in a nice mylar because the cover looked to be in decent shape and in one piece. Even in its current condition that book will never lose value so I don't think you overpaid, you don't see these for sale every day. If I could find a 2.0 that is still in one piece I probably will buy it. thumbsup2.gif

Yeah, but it's only in one piece because of those three extra staples! 27_laughing.gif

What would the rough cost be to restore a book like this? Hundreds, thousands?

The initial ballpark estimate I got from Tracey after showing him just the scan and describing the graders' notes was $975 to get it up to around the F/VF to VF range. (Anyone looking at the prices in his project archives on his site should realize that most of them are based on old pricing data from several years ago.) We talked some more and discussed the possibility of him going "all out" on it and getting it to look "newer than new" as Tracey likes to put it. 27_laughing.gif We don't have a final estimate yet on what the "all out" treatment will cost because he doesn't have the book in his hands. I'll know in a couple weeks after I send the book to him. It will certainly cost more than $1,000 is all I know.

That's pretty cool. Let me know how he does and maybe I'll buy a POS FF 1. The thing is you don't want him to work so much on the book that it will look somewhat fake, do you? I have no knowledge of restorers so I don't know anythig about this area.

That's pretty cool. Let me know how he does and maybe I'll buy a POS FF 1. The thing is you don't want him to work so much on the book that it will look somewhat fake, do you? I have no knowledge of restorers so I don't know anythig about this area.

Tracey is one of the best in the business. I am not worried about it looking fake. I will definitely post scans when I get it back though! I'll post the restoration report too. It'll be a laundry list, I'm sure, because this book is a total POS right now. 27_laughing.gif

By the way -- Tracey told me that he had a couple of AF#15s that were "worse than this" come back as CGC 9.2s. hail.gif

This is what he told me he believed would be involved in restoring this particular book based on the front cover scan I sent to him:

A treatment would be based on the removal of the staples from the book, a solvent bath of the cover and probably a washing of the cover, sealing of tears and extra staple holes throughout the book, infilling of any missing areas at the spine and corners, inpainting where needed, recoating of the inpainted areas to match the original gloss, treatment of the original staples, refolding of the cover around the interiors, pressing (OH NO smile.gif ), reassembly of the cover to interiors and repair to any delaminated areas as needed.

By the way -- Tracey told me that he had a couple of AF#15s that were "worse than this" come back as CGC 9.2s. hail.gif

This is what he told me he believed would be involved in restoring this particular book based on the front cover scan I sent to him:

A treatment would be based on the removal of the staples from the book, a solvent bath of the cover and probably a washing of the cover, sealing of tears and extra staple holes throughout the book, infilling of any missing areas at the spine and corners, inpainting where needed, recoating of the inpainted areas to match the original gloss, treatment of the original staples, refolding of the cover around the interiors, pressing (OH NO smile.gif ), reassembly of the cover to interiors and repair to any delaminated areas as needed.

lol - the OH NO! with pressing - his emphasis or yours?

lol - the OH NO! with pressing - his emphasis or yours?

That was all him. Trace is a funny guy. smile.gif

Good luck with this...I'm very curious how it'll turn out. Can you post high-res before/after scans so we can see the work? I have a couple low-mid grade GA books I've been contemplating sending to him... 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Good luck with this...I'm very curious how it'll turn out. Can you post high-res before/after scans so we can see the work? I have a couple low-mid grade GA books I've been contemplating sending to him... 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Yes, absolutely. Soon as I get the book I'll post the before scans.

If you're curious about your books, just email front and back scans to Trace and let him know of any "hidden" defects. I am sure he could give you a ballpark estimate based on scans and could probably give you a reasonable range of where you could expect the book to end up.

Tracey's email address is trace@eclipsepaper.com

Tell him I referred all of you and maybe he'll give me a discount on my AF#15. poke2.gif27_laughing.gif

Seriously though, Trace is a good dude whom I have found to be more than willing to discuss any book and answer all of my questions in a prompt, professional, and informative manner.

WOW - that's hard to imagine!!!!!!!!!insane.gif

this is certainly a project that will hold our interest for the next couple of months. looking forward to see what he can do to a book like that..................... 893crossfingers-thumb.gif

If actually thought long and hard about buying 1.5 - 2.0's key books and getting a professional restorer to make the book live again! Mostly for my own colection though. If this project works out for the best please give me Tracey's contact info! thumbsup2.gif

If actually thought long and hard about buying 1.5 - 2.0's key books and getting a professional restorer to make the book live again! Mostly for my own colection though. If this project works out for the best please give me Tracey's contact info! thumbsup2.gif

www.eclipsepaper.com is his website and his toll free number is on there. His email address is trace@eclipsepaper.com. You don't need to wait for my results to talk to him. Tracey is a great guy and is always willing to talk or answer questions. He is also one of the very best in the business.