• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

AF#15 CGC 1.0 on Comic Link

40 posts in this topic

I bought a collection from a guy that had nearly complete runs of the first 50 issues of every Marvel title. Many of the oldest books had three staples like that added to the spine, regardless of whether the book had a loose cover or not.

People do some f'ed up things to their wonderful comic books.

PS: hi.gif

Someone added three extra staples. The spine is almost completely split and there's a large stain at the top of the front cover.

If that is true (staples added) then how could this book still get a blue label? confused-smiley-013.gif

893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Someone added three extra staples. The spine is almost completely split and there's a large stain at the top of the front cover.

If that is true (staples added) then how could this book still get a blue label? confused-smiley-013.gif

Why should it get anything else? It's not restoration. It's a visible defect that detracts from the appearance of the comic book.

I bought a collection from a guy that had nearly complete runs of the first 50 issues of every Marvel title. Many of the oldest books had three staples like that added to the spine, regardless of whether the book had a loose cover or not.

People do some f'ed up things to their wonderful comic books.

PS: hi.gif

hi.gif

Why should it get anything else? It's not restoration. It's a visible defect that detracts from the appearance of the comic book.

Not that I don't agree with you FFB but I guess the same could be said for glue/seals? Just seems like CGC is all over the map on this kind of stuff.

Not that I don't agree with you FFB but I guess the same could be said for glue/seals? Just seems like CGC is all over the map on this kind of stuff.

I see what you're saying.

I think in this case it's the equivalent of someone putting tape down the spine. Obviously they did it to try to reinforce the book but it's not really restoration. It's just ugly and damaging to the book. It doesn't get a purple label.

In this case, the added staples were done in addition to the two already there (not in replacement of them) and not necessarily meant as an attempt to "restore" the book but a misguided attempt to keep the cover from falling off.

If you seal a tear correctly, it is nearly invisible, or in some cases, completely invisible. That's a lot different than adding three extra staples to the book. confused-smiley-013.gif

i would still buy it just to own the book, but it is probably out of my price range :P

The asking price is about $300 too high for a FR 1.0 copy anyway. confused-smiley-013.gif

Looks like it went for $1,050. insane.gif I would have paid the extra $1,550 to get a CGC 3.5 copy.

That's not a bad price for it. It is a nice looking FR 1.0. No big pieces missing or anything. FR copies go for about $1K. confused-smiley-013.gif

Looks like it went for $1,050. insane.gif I would have paid the extra $1,550 to get a CGC 3.5 copy.

That's not a bad price for it. It is a nice looking FR 1.0. No big pieces missing or anything. FR copies go for about $1K. confused-smiley-013.gif

Wasn't me. sumo.gif I think I will hold out for a big pay day and treat myself to a slightly higher grade that is at least held together by its own merits not a staple gun.

Wasn't me. sumo.gif I think I will hold out for a big pay day and treat myself to a slightly higher grade that is at least held together by its own merits not a staple gun.

It was me. shy.gif

The book won't have those extra staples for long.

Or the spine split.

Or the long creases in the corner.

Or the stain on the front cover.

Or the anything else.

yay.gif

It was me. shy.gif

Or the spine split.

Or the anything else.

yay.gif

Scott; realistically speaking, what grade do you believe this book could be restored to with a limit of Moderate Professional restoration?? or would you go all out and get it extensively restored and, if so, to what grade??

It was me. shy.gif

Or the spine split.

Or the anything else.

yay.gif

Scott; realistically speaking, what grade do you believe this book could be restored to with a limit of Moderate Professional restoration?? or would you go all out and get it extensively restored and, if so, to what grade??

I'm going to have Tracey go all out with it. The book didn't cost much and I really want to see what he can do with it. He's excited about it too. Should have it back in about two months, I think. I'll post the results.