• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Phoenix Comicon April 10

26 posts in this topic

Wow, that was a waste of time. I slept in, and showed up around 9:45 (it started at 9:00), and people were already leaving. A handful of local dealers were there, maybe 10 tables selling comics. About half had silver/bronze. Most had new comics (stuff I can find any day in any LCS), and most graded comics were new comics graded by PGX. The last thing I'm looking for is a PGX 9.8 New Avengers #1. There was plenty of over-priced figures, and issues of Batman/Superman, Identity Crisis, GL: Rebirth, etc.

I did pick up a TPB of Batman in the Sixties for half off ($10). That dealer is closing shop, and is having 50% off EVERYTHING next Saturday. I'm more excitred about that than this con.

Most tables were just $1 comics. Not low-grade bronze $1 comics, but 90's junk (Image, etc). I walked around about 10 times, to get my $6 admission worth. I left by 10:30. I don't think I'll be going next year.

I got there around 11:00 AM, as this show isn't worth it for me to get there early on a Sunday. I agree the pickings were extremely slim. There was a small amount of Silver Age comics, mostly low grade and overpriced. If there was any Golden Age, I didn't see it. The rest was Bronze and Modern, most of which was the kind of material that rightfully fills up 25 cent boxes. Graded comics were also difficult to find, and the majority were Modern slabbed by PGX.

I bought a few junk comics and reprints from Fantasy Comics and picked up a Misfits shirt from the store going out of business. With these things plus the cost of a hot dog, bottle of water, and admission, I still didn't break the $30 mark. I stayed pretty much to the end only because I ended up talking to a dealer friend for the last two hours.

I'd still will probably go next year, but it's only for the social aspect. I don't ever expect to buy anything of note at these shows; in fact, the last show I did buy anything of note in Phoenix was back in 1999, when Blake Shira (RIP) held a show over at a hotel in the central part of town.

I actually ended up staying quite a long time. Unfortunately it wasn't because of the comics. The only comic I picked up for me was an X-Men #41 that is an upgrade to the one I have. I picked up two gypo tpb's for the wife as well as a cheap Dawn t-shirt from the store going out of business (we all got something there... I would say it's odd, but since you only had a few choices it was bound to happen).

My main purpose for going (I knew the comics would suck) was for the artists. I picked up some very cheap sketches from Todd Nauck, Dave Beaty, and a nice one from Steve Rude. The art made it worth it for me.

The highlight, however, was meeting up with two friends that I had lost contact with about 6 years ago. I didn't realize they even liked comics and the same for them about me. I stood around and talked to them for over an hour. Bill is an aspiring artist and had his portfolio there to get some critiques from Todd Nauck and Steve Rude (Steve was a class act and gave him some tips as well as some technique sketches). He draws an incredible Ghost. They're going down to the San Diego Con and we agreed to meet up there if I can make it (it's looking good since my wife is an inch away from getting a job that gives her a signing bonus as well thumbsup2.gif ). I was going to be down there by myself which would have sucked a little. Being able to meet up with them will make it more fun I think. They also make the first and only friends I have that like comics also. It will be nice to talk to other people about this stuff.

All in all the day was a success. Maybe one of these days it will even be worth going to the show for some comics 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Hero II? Is that related to Hero Comics on Thunderbird in the north valley? I live half of a mile from there and still never go in. The set up is horrible and the selection... well... there isn't one. Some imput would have been helpful.

Yes, it was a second store to the one on Thunderbird. Ownership changed hands towards the end of last year, and the difference is night and day. Erin runs a great store, even if I no longer have anything to do with it! 893applaud-thumb.gif

Back on topic... I did attend the comicon yesterday, and once again, the selection (with the exception of Samurai Comics) was a bit dismal. Managed to pick up a 1951 copy of Star-Spangled Comics (issue #122) for only $15!

Made a run for the Marvel 100-page "Monsters" at a buck apiece, got several of those. The DC Archives and other assorted graphic novels were only 30% off at most locations, and you can get a better deal at either ebay or Amazon on those.

Marv Wolfman was there, but the novel he's promoting (Crisis on Infinite Earths) isn't out until the 28th. He still signed my Crisis HC GN though.

Where were some of the other major retailers? Where was All About? Where was Atomic? I guess they didn't want to show, for fear of actually having to discount something to sell it... sign-rantpost.gif

Hey Rob,

I use to live in Phoenix about 5 years ago. Definitely better books around then. I went back for a visit a little over a year ago and picked up an almost complete run on the Marketplace from Atomic (I think). It was at their Mesa store right by Bookman's on Southern Ave.

Didn't find any old comics ...

I stopped by Retro Rocket (the LCS going out of business) today. The 50% off sale starts tomorrow at noon. I'll be there. Today, everything was 25% off, but why not wait till tomorrow? The back issue comics were $1.99 ea, same as tomorrow, so I thought I'd get a head start today.

I hit the motherload. One box had an entire run of Captain America (avg VG) from 100-250. I'm looking to flip, so I just picked up 100-115. I asked him if ALL comics in the bins were $2, and he said yes. Also found a Fair Avengers 5, and a Poor 1958 Superboy. Picked up some other moderns that I thought would fetch more than $2 on eBay.

Well, I get to the counter, and sure enough, he says the CA's should not have been there. I asked him how much, and he said $100 for the 16 books. I asked him if he would take $90 for everything, including the moderns that really were $2, and he accepted. So I'm in for about $4 per book, which after getting home and checking the guide doesn't sound too promising. I'll post them soon and see what happens. But I'm definitely there tomorrow to get some 50% off deals.