• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Infinite Bronze War Thread
11 11

3,137 posts in this topic

If we're gonna limit this to Kubert and the Bronze age, I'd submit this cover as a dramatic depiction of American soldiers in combat, or it's aftermath in this case.

You may want to make a similar post in the Silver age war thread as well.

SSWS-154524x782-1.jpg

Hi guys,

I would greatly appreciate your thoughts on which Joe Kubert war covers would be considered his best based on the following:

1.) Depiction of actual World War Two battles or places.

2.) Portrayal of American soldiers in action (for example, the Sgt. Rock flag cover)

3.) His best "action" oriented covers.

4.) His best "composition" covers.

Thanks a lot, I know there's lots of experts on this thread, and hope to read what you have to share!

Mervin

To me, Kubert was at his very best when he was drawing Sgt. Rock covers.... he just totally clicked with that character. And especially when we got all 'atmospheric'. Here are a few of my faves....

oaaw212.jpg

ooaw235.jpg

oaaw291.jpg

oaaw209.jpg

oaaw209.jpg

Such a sweet copy Shep. Love the reds on it.

Thanks man - I'm amazed at how tough it is to find some of these 15 centers (across all the titles) in good shape. I'm happy with 9.0/9.2 from this era.

This copy was an Oakland book - got it off ebay about a year ago for $70, and was happy to pay it!

Talk soon,

Shep

My favorite cover of the Unknown Soldier run in SSWS is #156. It has great Kubert line work and he uses a ton of ink. The cover also contains a fantastic gallery of many of WWII's greatest (or most notorious) leaders - which the old history major in me loves.

Thanks to last week's Heritage Signature auction, I had the opportunity to acquire the piece and am happy to now have a Kubert war cover in my original art collection.

ssws156s.jpg

Was anyone else able to get anything from the first of what I believe will be multiple Kubert Signature auctions?

That is one of the most iconic Unknown Soldier covers. Good score, Bill!

I know all the other guys, but who's the guy above the Churchill mask s'posed to be?

Franco of Spain?

Thanks guys. I cannot wait to get it in a frame and up on the wall. Also curious as to what other great Kubert war art will be turning up in these auctions.

It's Haile Selassie of Ethiopia.

800px-Haile_Selassie_LOC_8e00855.jpg

My favorite cover of the Unknown Soldier run in SSWS is #156. It has great Kubert line work and he uses a ton of ink. The cover also contains a fantastic gallery of many of WWII's greatest (or most notorious) leaders - which the old history major in me loves.

Thanks to last week's Heritage Signature auction, I had the opportunity to acquire the piece and am happy to now have a Kubert war cover in my original art collection.

ssws156s.jpg

Was anyone else able to get anything from the first of what I believe will be multiple Kubert Signature auctions?

You got that at a great price, IMHO. I was all prepared to bid live on it, the auction was approaching, a customer came in to sell me some coins and I stupidly took a quick look through them and bought them for $12. I seriously ran back to the computer and the lot had just finished. You may have still won that great piece of art, but you would have paid about half a grand more. :frustrated: Fricken $12 in crappy coins!!! :frustrated:

You got that at a great price, IMHO. I was all prepared to bid live on it, the auction was approaching, a customer came in to sell me some coins and I stupidly took a quick look through them and bought them for $12. I seriously ran back to the computer and the lot had just finished. You may have still won that great piece of art, but you would have paid about half a grand more. :frustrated: Fricken $12 in crappy coins!!! :frustrated:

I had actually logged into Heritage Live as well. I was going to up my bid a bit, but was prepared to watch someone else take it for $3500 to $4k or thereabouts.

I was ecstatic when I didn't hear a peep out of the crowd on the streaming video.