• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Infinite Bronze War Thread
11 11

3,137 posts in this topic

I also dig the Kirby & Severin Losers, and all the Alex Toth stuff. I think most of us agree these comics were very well done.

Guilty BA war pleasures for me:

1) Combat Kelly and his Deadly Dozen (Marvel)

I love this series. It's so over-the-top. And the last issue is just great. I don't want to spoil it for anyone who hasn't read it, so I'll just say, mmm..."Wild Bunch" and leave it at that.

2) War is Hell 9-15 (Marvel)

A great concept that never quite found it's footing. Still, having Death as the antagonist gave the title some juice.

3) The Unknown Soldier (DC)

What can I say? Bob Haney is a maniac. A few stories were trully awful, like #261, but overall I really enjoyed the rest of the run a great deal. I like the preposterous espionage stuff. (I also enjoyed all the Unknown Soldiers stories in SSW.)

4) Blitzkrieg (DC)

This title could have been great. A little too ahead of it's time, probably. I love the Kubert covers. I also got the feeling there were going to be some great character-conflicts amongst the German soldiers. Too bad it got cancelled.

5) Savage Combat Tales featuring Sgt. Stryker's Death Squad (Atlas/Seaboard)

Can't go wrong with Archie Goodwin, Al Williams, Jack Sparling and Alex Toth! People who dismiss this because it's an Atlas book--you're missing out on some good stuff!

Oops! Forgot one --

6) Weird War Tales 93,97,100, 102, 105,107-112,114-119,121,124

The epic Creature Commandos storyline!

Yes, this is flat-out ridiculous. But they're fun. The early J.M. DeMatties issues are full of great pathos, as the creature commandos grapple with being turned into fighting monsters. The later Kanigher issues are really wild, you can tell he really enjoyed cutting loose and not having to stick so closely to "real" WW 2 story constraints. Or he was huffing butane. One or the other.

Edited by MisterX

I also dig the Kirby & Severin Losers, and all the Alex Toth stuff. I think most of us agree these comics were very well done.

Guilty BA war pleasures for me:

1) Combat Kelly and his Deadly Dozen (Marvel)

I love this series. It's so over-the-top. And the last issue is just great. I don't want to spoil it for anyone who hasn't read it, so I'll just say, mmm..."Wild Bunch" and leave it at that.

2) War is Hell 9-15 (Marvel)

A great concept that never quite found it's footing. Still, having Death as the antagonist gave the title some juice.

3) The Unknown Soldier (DC)

What can I say? Bob Haney is a maniac. A few stories were trully awful, like #261, but overall I really enjoyed the rest of the run a great deal. I like the preposterous espionage stuff. (I also enjoyed all the Unknown Soldiers stories in SSW.)

4) Blitzkrieg (DC)

This title could have been great. A little too ahead of it's time, probably. I love the Kubert covers. I also got the feeling there were going to be some great character-conflicts amongst the German soldiers. Too bad it got cancelled.

5) Savage Combat Tales featuring Sgt. Stryker's Death Squad (Atlas/Seaboard)

Can't go wrong with Archie Goodwin, Al Williams, Jack Sparling and Alex Toth! People who dismiss this because it's an Atlas book--you're missing out on some good stuff!

Oops! Forgot one --

6) Weird War Tales 93,97,100, 102, 105,107-112,114-119,121,124

The epic Creature Commandos storyline!

Yes, this is flat-out ridiculous. But they're fun. The early J.M. DeMatties issues are full of great pathos, as the creature commandos grapple with being turned into fighting monsters. The later Kanigher issues are really wild, you can tell he really enjoyed cutting loose and not having to stick so closely to "real" WW 2 story constraints. Or he was huffing butane. One or the other.

:headbang:

Now here's a fan. (thumbs u

Andy

Damn, I sure wish I could have gone for this one.

OAAW 242 on CLink

It seemed all of the DC War I was watching went for very solid prices. Judging by his market place post, I believe many were board member tth2's (not saying the 100 pager was his), so good for him. (thumbs u

I find myself moving into the later bronze or copper age for my slabbed books recently. I don't think many people get those issues graded and demand isn't what it is for silver or earlier bronze. What that means to me is that they aren't easy to get, but when they do pop up, they are usually way more affordable.

I find myself moving into the later bronze or copper age for my slabbed books recently. I don't think many people get those issues graded and demand isn't what it is for silver or earlier bronze. What that means to me is that they aren't easy to get, but when they do pop up, they are usually way more affordable.

Are you the dude outbidding me on those slabbed late Bronze SSWs with the Unknown Soldier?

:frustrated:

(thumbs u

Slabs are awesome and all, but for ba war the deals are still in raw. I just picked up a sweet, sweet run of OFF from the #125 to #136 range in grade, at great prices. Those are some of the toughest books from that era to find above VF.

I'll try and post them later this weekend... they were all ebay books too, gotten over the past couple of months.

Shep

Are you the dude outbidding me on those slabbed late Bronze SSWs with the Unknown Soldier?

:frustrated:

(thumbs u

Don't worry, I totally lose more than I win overall.

5 more books and I am done with the SSWS registry run I was after and they're all yours. Unfortunately, 2 of the 5 don't even have a single issue graded and 2 of the remaining 3 only have one issue graded. :cry:

Slabs are awesome and all, but for ba war the deals are still in raw. I just picked up a sweet, sweet run of OFF from the #125 to #136 range in grade, at great prices. Those are some of the toughest books from that era to find above VF.

I'll try and post them later this weekend... they were all ebay books too, gotten over the past couple of months.

Shep

It's going for the slab registry/OCD that keeps me collecting honestly. Otherwise, I'd quickly get beater reading copies to go with Showcase Presents reprints and be done with it all.

I do have quite a few raws for all the war titles, just not everything. I did pay through the nose and picked up some Oakland and non-pedigree DC War on eBay about a year and a half ago from a single seller. The high grade raw stuff is almost as costly as the slabbed in some cases.

Shep

I agree, Shep! Lately however some of late BA SSWs I would like to have in HG have been showing up on Clink, so I've been bidding as high as I'm comfortable with, and losing every time. These issues seem to be everywhere in VG/FN condition, but harder (at least for me) to find in better shape.

And I always crack 'em to read!

Shep

I agree, Shep! Lately however some of late BA SSWs I would like to have in HG have been showing up on Clink, so I've been bidding as high as I'm comfortable with, and losing every time. These issues seem to be everywhere in VG/FN condition, but harder (at least for me) to find in better shape.

And I always crack 'em to read!

This is not meant as a criticism but why not buy reader copies to go along with the slabs? Why crack em?

I crack all my slabs too, unless I already have a high grade double. I just can't get into reading beaters.

Certianly, though, there is a lot of good supply out there on slabbed HG issues... just a ton of stuff!

Wish I had a winning lottery ticket.

Shep

This is not meant as a criticism but why not buy reader copies to go along with the slabs? Why crack em?

Hmm...to sum it up, I hate buying the same comic twice. And those poor comics imprisoned in plastic cry out for me to free them.

I appreciate your insight into the tough to find in grade issues as that way I can be on the look out for them specifically and jump on them when I do see them.

Oh, and those 10 and 12 cent issues in the SA forum are fantastic looking!

I appreciate your insight into the tough to find in grade issues as that way I can be on the look out for them specifically and jump on them when I do see them.

Oh, and those 10 and 12 cent issues in the SA forum are fantastic looking!

Weird,

Kudos on the 10 and 12 centers. They are pure sugar when you can find them.

I'm happy to pass on any info about availabity of certain issues, etc.I've actually contacted DC to see if they would share sales and circulatio info on various issues, but got nothing. Even talked to Paul Levitz (nice man, by the way) but couldn't get anywhere. I was lucky enough to do some correspondence with Bob Kanigher before he passed away, and interviewed Joe Kubert too... but still couldn't get the low-down on where there may have been circulation dips.

The whole business about war fans reading their books down is true... not many books - even in the late 70s/80s - were salted away by 'collectors'. And high grade war rarely rotates out of collections.

I've been a fan of these books for nearly 25 years, but only started upgrading the collection big time about 7 years ago. Along the way (for what it's worth) here are the books that I've had the hardest time finding.

OAAW 218. First USS Stevens. Very rare in NM.

OAAW 234-246. All the 52 pagers are tough in grade, particularly 235, 244, 245 and 239.

OAAW 256-260. Continuing story, and some of Heath's finest work ever. 256 gets my vote for the scarcest bronze age war book to find in NM, bar none. (now that I've thrown down with that, 25 copies are bound to appear on ebay.javascript:

OAAW 242. 100 page giant. Supposed low distribution.

OAAW 290-301. All tough in NM. They come up, but hard to find sharpies.

Sgt. Rock 302-310. All of these are surprisingly tough in NM.

Sgt,. Rock 320, 321, 322. Wow. The 1978 50 cent issues. These are tough in HG. Was there a big circulation deep due to the DC implosion? Could be.

Sgt. Rock 370-376. For some reason, these were very, very tough books to find. On about 5 different occasions, I found the run 20 issues in either direction of these 7 books.

GI Combat 141, 142. You've all heard me moan about this. I have four copies of 141 in my collection ranging from FN to VF-, and that is the best I have been able to do. Tough books.

GI Combat 144-153. 25 cent 48 and 52 pagers. They're all tough, but 144, 145, 146, 150 and 151 are downright scarce.

GI Combat 201-210. The first dollar books. Man. These are hellish, with a myriad of printing problems to keep them out of grade.

GI Combat 287-288. The last two issues. Very hard in NM.

Star Spangled War 154. The 2nd toughest Bronze Age war book to find in NM. I passed on a stunner for $150 in San Diego two years back (unslabbed, but it was insane!) and I have always regretted it.

Our Fighting Forces 123-130. These can be very, very hard to find in grade. They do pop up on occasion. #123 is a super issue.

Weird War #5. Waaaaay harder than #1-4.

Weird War #10. Toth. A pain to find in NM. There are LOOOAAADS of VF copies out there.

Weird War #12. Kaluta cover, so all the horror guys are on this one. Another tough get in NM.

Weird War #36. 100 pager. Not a lot of these floating around better than VF.

Weird War #50-75. This is a tough stretch to fill. The books in the early 50s and early 70s are particularly scarce.

Digests. No question that the Haunted Tank Digest is the hardest one to get in High Grade.

Men of War 7. For some reason, had a harder time getting this one.

Anyway, just one man's opinion. I know that letting EVERYONE know what I've found difficult is sort of counter-productive to actually finding those issues grin.gif but my thinking is that demand stimulates supply. There aren't many upgrades left for me, but the ones I do need are pure, unadulterated pain!

But hey, call me a masochist.

Shep

Pulling a little blast from the past here.

I'm wondering what war collectors think about the toughness of finding SSWS 204 in high grade. I have not actively looked but it seems, anecdotally at least, like it might be one of the tough ones. Any thoughts?